Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
150 Posts
No mention of burning oil either I assume
Is fast oil depletion already an issue with the multi-port injection 2020 model? I would expect it not to be the case. I would assume that Kia went back to multi-port injection precisely because of the problems with the GDI engines.

Glanced through the reports for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 models and saw nothing that drew attention to excessive oil consumption.

Here is the owner-generated reliability report:

Notice what is missing? Information for 2020. It is too early.

Before you diss CR, note that CR relies on subscribers, i.e., consumers, to generate repair frequency information. There could be a self-selection bias. It is possible that CR subscribers are more careful owners and do things like frequently check oil levels. Or perhaps they live closer to more competent dealerships.... OK, that last suggestion was meant to be funny.

And once again, before you diss CR, can anybody point to a publication that has raised the heavy oil consumption issue with Kia Souls? Probably not.

Anyhow, all this points to the potential value of fora like Kia Soul Forums. That assumes you want your vehicle to be as reliable as possible and to easily last over 400,000 km/250,000 miles or longer.

Personally, I would rather spend our money on things other than automobiles and am willing to do some extensive reading and extra maintenance to insure that outcome.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,013 Posts
westslope;

Do not trust the above the information. I might have made a typo. I might have introduced some erroneous information. Unfortunately the fora's Toronto-based overlords do not allow the peasants to edit posts. So take everything I post with an enormous grain of salt.

that's erroneous right there as you edit any post you just can't delete it. (which should be made available)

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
477 Posts
"Is fast oil depletion already an issue with the multi-port injection 2020 model? I would expect it not to be the case. I would assume that Kia went back to multi-port injection precisely because of the problems with the GDI engines."

I don't expect oil depletion to be different with MPI, it just cleans the build up off the intake valves.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,619 Posts
I agree with conwel, bring back the DELETE POST option.

Haven't we all made a post that due to the nature of the conversation or, has become factually incorrect, be better off removed from the thread?

Set the DELETE key free ✊

·
Registered
117 Posts
As an owner of a 2020 and coming from 7 years with our 2012, I too am a bit "disappointed"
I was originally shopping for a 2019 but wound up with a 2020 because of price and availability.
In several respects the 2020 is a better car than my 2012 was, though I can't compare it to the 2014-2019's it replaced.
The atkinson engine is peppy despite the H.P. rating and the CVT shifts as though it were a real 6 speed automatic. It also rides and handles better than our 2012 did.
The de-contenting bothers me, as well as a few omissions/changes like the cruise control set-up, signal mirrors, hub caps and a few other changes.
I suppose something has to give if the price is to be kept down but there seems a constant reminder after 8 months of ownership that these concessions were made.
I can't help feel that I would have been happier with the 2019 I originally sought but I suppose that's a moot point now.
The looks have grown on me, something I didn't think I would adjust to so perhaps the other concessions will dissipate as well.
Time will tell...
I feel 100,000 percent exactly the same...but you prolly already know this. I would buy a 2019 in a heartbeat if I had to do it over again. In fact I stopped by a Kia dealer a few weeks ago to see if I could trade in my 2020 for a 2019 leftover and there's just too much of a hit on the equity....which I ALMOST did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
150 Posts
no idea, but I've never had any problem editing a post, so it's not forum wide problem.
I think I have figured it out. If I post less, I will be less inclined to 'edit', the restriction on the number of recent edited posts will not bind and therefore everything will work out.

Profit-maximizing VerticalScope wants some of us to post less. Makes good sense.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bit the bullet yesterday and bought the cargo deck lid. I had two dealers in a bidding war and got them down to $100. SOLD! I had a salesman approach me as I looked at some of the models on the lot. I told him I would never by another Soul unless they put some things back in the car like we have talked about here, he told me, believe me or not, that he has been hearing this quite a bit from people who buy the 2020 when they have had a previous Soul. New owners don't know any different, but they have had enough repeat customers that they are listening. I guess we will see. I also made it very clear to the parts guy how absolutely STUPID it was to have to purchase this "accessory. I asked if tires were next on the list for "accessories. He didn't like me very much. Zero you-know-whats given.

I figured we are stuck with this car for awhile, so I am trying to UN-do as much of the decontenting as I can. The lid makes a huge difference in functionality of the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,619 Posts
I bit the bullet yesterday and bought the cargo deck lid. I had two dealers in a bidding war and got them down to $100. SOLD! I had a salesman approach me as I looked at some of the models on the lot. I told him I would never by another Soul unless they put some things back in the car like we have talked about here, he told me, believe me or not, that he has been hearing this quite a bit from people who buy the 2020 when they have had a previous Soul. New owners don't know any different, but they have had enough repeat customers that they are listening. I guess we will see. I also made it very clear to the parts guy how absolutely STUPID it was to have to purchase this "accessory. I asked if tires were next on the list for "accessories. He didn't like me very much. Zero you-know-whats given.

I figured we are stuck with this car for awhile, so I am trying to do as much of the decontenting as I can. The lid makes a huge difference in functionality of the rear cargo area.
Thanks for telling him that bbs. I'm sure it takes forever for information to filter up to corporate, but hopefully they get the message.

Congrats on the floor! Good job.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for telling him that bbs. I'm sure it takes forever for information to filter up to corporate, but hopefully they get the message.

Congrats on the floor! Good job.
Thanks Geo! Making the best of a not so good decision. I find it funny that two dealers not 10 miles apart have such a price difference on the exact same part and they are part of the same dealer system! What a joke.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I am really disappointed in this 2020 Kia LX. On a cold morning it takes a really long time to warm up so I can get some heat from the heater. Even after running 2 cycles with the remote starter. Dealer says it is normal. Second the sticker on the door says it should have 205-60-16 tires but it has 205-55-16 which makes the odometer and speedometer 4% off. If I go 100 miles according to my GPS the odometer says I have gone 104 miles. Speedometer is off too. Never had a new car this far off and I am convinced it is because it does not have the correct size tires. It came with a factory trailer hitch but no wiring harness. Dealer says they don't make one for it which I find hard to believe. Nearest dealer besides the one I bought it from is 100 miles away.Has anyone else had similar problems? I had bought 3 Chevy Sonic Hatchbacks new before and I am wishing I had bought another. Heater was great in them. Speedometer was spot on. Lots of dealers within 50 miles. Only reason I went to Kia is because I was tired of hitting my head on the roof getting in.
Well I finally got around to do some testing of my heater today with the Scan Gauge. Here are the results:
It was 20 Degrees F on the car outside temp reading. Started the car with heater in the off position and the temp control in the hot position.
Drove 4 miles at 40 to 45 MPH, temp on Scan Gauge was 155 deg.
At 6 miles the Scan Gauge read 190 deg.
Turned the heater fan on position 3
Water temperature started dropping and got down to 163 deg
At the 10 mile point the water temp was at 170 deg on the Scan Gauge.
I was at my destination at that point.
The car will eventually warm up to Between 210 and 200 at final operating temperature if you drive it long enough but it it takes a while.
Need less to say this will be my first and last Kia, mostly because of a useless dealer..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well I finally got around to do some testing of my heater today with the Scan Gauge. Here are the results:
It was 20 Degrees F on the car outside temp reading. Started the car with heater in the off position and the temp control in the hot position.
Drove 4 miles at 40 to 45 MPH, temp on Scan Gauge was 155 deg.
At 6 miles the Scan Gauge read 190 deg.
Turned the heater fan on position 3
Water temperature started dropping and got down to 163 deg
At the 10 mile point the water temp was at 170 deg on the Scan Gauge.
I was at my destination at that point.
The car will eventually warm up to Between 210 and 200 at final operating temperature if you drive it long enough but it it takes a while.
Need less to say this will be my first and last Kia, mostly because of a useless dealer..
Should have been 29 degrees outside temp, my mistake

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Has anyone replaced the thermostat on a 2.0 Soul engine? If so how much of a job is it? Seems nothing is easy on the new cars.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts