Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my Soul Basic for about 3 weeks..and i run down my tank to near empty on my commute regularly..and the range display will get down to 30 miles and then blank out....has anyone else had this? Normal for it? I have 2 other cars (different makes) with this feature (very helpful!) and they will get all the way down to Zero....anybody else? Thanks!

Dan

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Sounds like your sending unit from the fuel tank is not calibrated correctly. We have been discussing these units on another thread, and all the different types of things you get from one that is faulty. It can be reset fairly easily by your dealer.

If you feel adventuresome you can pull the plug on it yourself and allow it to reset. I believe that you may be able to find some directions on this on YouTube or Google. If not, just call the service department and ask them to tell you what you need to do. It is buried behind the rear seat. But if you feel cautious, ask the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's how it's designed. The range will show double dash when it gets below 30 miles left, and flashing dash when it gets below 10 miles left.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Wow, that is good to know. I never let mine get that low, the little warning light has only come on once on one of the cars and that was when the sender unit was bad. It had been on since the car was filled up awaiting a new sending unit. Turns out the car ran out of gas anyway :) Thanks for the info. I guess I should read the manual again and again and again. At my age, it is more like a new book each time I see it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's how it's designed. The range will show double dash when it gets below 30 miles left, and flashing dash when it gets below 10 miles left.
Ryocho is right on. KIA does not want to be responsible for you relying on exact figures below 30 miles; hence double dash. The system works that way in all KIA's and Hyundai's

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
this is normal, its not 100% accurate, so by the time you get --- you have been warned twice, first with the normal low fuel warning light and then when it drops below 50 km or 30 miles you get it again, its time to fill up! It is all covered in the owners manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've always heard it's not good to go below 1/3 of a tank. Something about the fuel pump and heat?

I never go below 1/2 tank myself.
You are correct about heat and the fuel pump. I have changed many at my shop. For the last 20 years or so most fuel pumps are electric motors and in the tank ---with the fuel being the lubrication and cooling median--so running real low or out means for a period of time there is no cooling and no lubrication---bad news for an expensive part.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've always heard it's not good to go below 1/3 of a tank. Something about the fuel pump and heat?

I never go below 1/2 tank myself.
Baloney.

In fact, it is often better to drop the tank at least to the low-fuel warning before refilling. Unless you are somebody who drives a lot and burns through a tank of gas a week, then your gas is sitting around in the tank collecting moisture. Or rather the ethanol is. Especially in humid Summer climates of the SouthEast, you do NOT want to let fuel sit around for many weeks and then add MORE fuel. You want to burn up the fuel and then re-fill with fresh, not mix or it becomes a cumulative aging effect.

Granted, this is a scenario where certain weather conditions are required, and certain driving habits are required (low mileage use). But if you are somebody who drives only 50-100 miles per week, and you live in a humid climate, then you are better to burn the tank down and refill with fresh gas.

·
Registered
214 Posts
On the highway once coming back from Tahoe i hit the -- mark, drove about 20 more miles and hit the gas station to fill up almost 12 gallons, meaning there was still about 3/4 of a gallon left (~20 more highway miles).

On a similar trip when we had the CRV, we got the range to show 0 miles to empty rolling into American Canyon. It also had about 3/4 gallon left in the tank when we reached the Safeway gas station, but boy were we nervous the last few miles on the road from the 80 into AC!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
After running out of gas, on I-75, on my way to a computer show in Tampa, with two friends in the car, I now make sure I top the tank before embarking on any road trips. I don't ever want to have to hitch-hike several miles to a gas station and then have to pay $9.95 for a one gallon gas can, + gas and then have to hitch a ride back to my car. Whew!

It's so much nicer to just fill up before I go! I don't care where the needle on the gas gauge is.
Not worried about old fuel, as I burn through a tank a week anyway.
The only time I ever see that little yellow "Low Fuel" light is when I first turn on the key and all those little 'IDIOT' lights come on briefly.
And, that's the only time I EVER want to see it. !!!

An empty tank is the sign of an empty mind!

:cool:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
You are correct about heat and the fuel pump. I have changed many at my shop. For the last 20 years or so most fuel pumps are electric motors and in the tank ---with the fuel being the lubrication and cooling median--so running real low or out means for a period of time there is no cooling and no lubrication---bad news for an expensive part.
I have heard the same about fuel being the cooling for the pump and that seems to be logical.
The actual pump is fairly inexpensive compared to the entire unit.
Depending on the pump Kia uses, it can be had inexpesively and are available with warranties ranging from 1 year to lifetime.
Here is an example: Replacement Fule Pump with Strainer Install Kit for Kia Hyundai Vehicles | eBay
As a motorcyclist with a fuel pump equipped bike, we often go thru the same situation needing a pump over time.
The pump itself is fairly cheap and installing is is not that difficult for the average backyard mechanic.
You just have to know where to look and what to look for is all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if it is normal than no biggie...and i drive 100+ miles a day..so my fuel never sits around for long lol ...every 3 days of commuting i'm filling up....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Behavior varies among manufacturers. My Nissan truck will show XX miles remaining and then switch to dashes at about 15 miles remaining. My smart will start a fuel remaining countdown in tenths of a gallon at 1.0 gallon remaining and I have run it to 0.0 gallons remaining and kept driving for several miles (but not on purpose).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts