Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Radio stopped working

I have a 2010 Exclaim with the upgraded 8-speaker radio.

Today my radio stopped outputting sound. The radio itself works, I can change radio stations, see names of caller ID when using the phones. Nothing outputs on my speakers. I've changed the sources from CD, or my USB drive, to my aux audio input, to the radio... nothing works.

I'm thinking it could be one of two things:

1.) Fuse to my amp is blown

2.) Amp is blown.

Anyone know where the fuse is to the amp? I want to check that first. I have no clue where the fuses are even located.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I checked all the fuses and didn't see any that were blown. So it looks like the amp is the issue here.

I tore my trunk apart and took the amp out. Looking online through google, I didn't see any online stores selling this model of amp. I know I could get one at the dealership (maybe after I wait a couple weeks for shipping) but then I'm paying premium prices for it which I don't want to do. Any other stores online that sell the AMP-280AM 8CH AMP?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To anyone who wants to see the 2010 factory external amp, here it is....

Really thought there would be more pushing those 300 watts of power. This thing is tiny.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you ever findout anything? I am having the same problem except I still have the front speakers.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't find anyone selling a used amp. Checked so many junkyards. Checked ebay. Just nothing. I'm not going to spend $500 on a new one so I'm without radio until I find a used amp.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The audio system is covered under a 3 year 36000 warranty. It's in your car book.

They might have changed it for later models but it's that way for the 2010 model.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The audio system is covered under a 3 year 36000 warranty. It's in your car book.
Gotcha. I've never read up on the warranty as I never keep cars long enough to worry about it, LOL.

If I were you, I'd just use an aftermarket amp and enjoy the $$$ savings and better sound quality.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only problem is that it's even harder to find an aftermarket eight channel amp with required ohm usage that the speakers need.

Kia made sure only their amp will work in this car. I could get a 2 channel amp but then I will have 6 speakers not even working.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can't find anyone selling a used amp. Checked so many junkyards. Checked ebay. Just nothing. I'm not going to spend $500 on a new one so I'm without radio until I find a used amp.
There are some guys on Ebay parting out Souls. Send them a message telling them what you want and they might have one and pull it out for you.
My Base model only had one 12v outlet in the front and they pulled out a double and sold it to me. Worth a shot...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried that already. Sent emails to five people. three never got back to me. fourth said the amp wasn't for sale. the fifth didn't even know there was an amp in there. I told him where to look and he said he'll get back to me and never did.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well what bad luck I have.

Found an amp on ebay for sale at $99 used buy it now so I scooped it up.

Finally got it today and installed it. Turned on my radio and I hear this blaring tone through my speakers that is slowly going higher in pitch the longer I leave it on. Doesn't matter what channel I have it on.. CD, usb, all the same tone.

Thought I might need to pull the radio fuse again so I did that and that didn't fix a damn thing.

Now I have to return this crap to the guy and get lucky finding another one.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got so lucky.

Found another ebay auction for the amp. Starting bid was 99 cents. Placed my bid. It ended and I got it for 99 cents lol.

Just got it in the mail today.. installed it. Now I have music again! WOOHOO. Best dollar I've ever spent haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bodycount, where'd you end up getting the second one? Ours is doing what your first one (you bought) did/is...loud screeching sounds coming from speakers no matter what input or volume is set at.

Wife took it to dealer and they wouldn't touch it since we spliced out of the harness to add another amp/sub.

I could not tell if it was the head unit or amp (I've been looking at both)....since you exactly described the sound issue, that has to be it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Have I mentioned that I still LOVE Body Count's first album? I look like an idiot blasting "There Goes The Neighborhood" but I don't care. Ha ha

The AutoGuide app did this...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts