Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I been away a long time, but have a problem I can't seem to fully pin down.

I have a 2010 Kia Soul with stock 1 CD, BT radio with subwoofer, amp and lighted speakers and suddenly about 3 weeks ago the radio would not shut off. I thought no big deal no way it would drain the battery as it was new, but sure enough even after 3-4 hours it goes dead. The battery is less than a year old and checks out OK so the drain must be pretty big whatever is going on.

I thought it might have been the Sirius firmware bug, so I cancelled Sirius and it still kept happening. I thought maybe an ignition switch or door jam problem, but everything else works fine even the 2 cigarette outlets.

The only way I got it to stop was pulling the single 15 amp radio fuse on the driver side panel.

Since then the car works fine, no problems at all, except no radio.

I am thinking to buy another one off Ebay for about $100, but before I did I wanted to ask here. Its obviously something to do with the radio system, but is it the radio, amp, speaker lights, etc......

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
I would bet the headunit failed like mine did a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can replace the radio with one from Ebay for under $100, but would that cause the battery to drain so quickly?

I know very little about this, and trying to avoid the troubleshooting cost at the dealers.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,602 Posts
I can replace the radio with one from Ebay for under $100, but would that cause the battery to drain so quickly?

I know very little about this, and trying to avoid the troubleshooting cost at the dealers.
I would take the risk Rk & put the $100 ebay radio in. My logic (which is questionable at best) is that there is something very wrong with a radio that will not power down & that leads to a dead battery.

Another option is just pull the head unit out for a few days & see if the battery drain stops.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought one from Ebay says it fits my Soul, looks identical except I get no sound from it. Sound does work, only not with the new radio.

Only difference is mine says B-15 on the top front and the replacement says B-13. I can not seem to find out what that means or if it matters?

Anyone know?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts