Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went about morning errands, was listening to tunes off a USB stick. parked, powered down the AV system, did my thing for a couple of hours. when i restarted the car: just a black screen. no sound, no backup camera, none of the buttons or dials worked, and restarting the car did nothing. noted that the fans and everything below the AV were still functional, however.

drove to my next location, parked. did my thing for a couple more hours, while reading up on resetting the radio with a paperclip, checking the fusebox, possibly replacing a fuse.

but wouldn't you know it? when i restarted the car for my return trip, all normal!

anyone know what's up with this situation? should i be concerned?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned unless it began to do it constantly or even, say, once a week or more. Of course if it goes out once and never comes back, I would be upset. But get it to the shop because the warranty on the radio etc. is only a year I think.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
But get it to the shop because the warranty on the radio etc. is only a year I think.
thx, will definitely have it check out in my next / first oil change. i have actually yet to review all the warranty stuff, this is a good reason to. the car only now JUST lost its "new car smell". (kinda sad about that, lol)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,543 Posts
Definitely get it checked out at your oil change. It's good to get the problem documented if nothing else to prove it started malfunctioning before it was off warranty, you know, in case it dies 5 days outside coverage.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My experience when things like that happen, they will happen again at some point or another symptom will emerge. Could be a loose a connection, a grounding issue, or something like a solder point broken just enough to touch sometimes and not quite touch sometimes inside the radio. Heat or lack of can affect that when it happens. It's going to be hard to get it fixed if it is working when you go to the dealer but as others have said at least get it documented.

·
Registered
2015 Soul !
47 Posts
Same happened to me once, a few months ago but duration was shorter... started car no AV.... freaked-out a bit and did what the IT help desk would recommend... restart the machine a few times... turned car off/on/off/on, then all was well... has never repeated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm guessing a short or loose wire but as mentioned it will be a pain to find. More than likely it will work fine for the dealer and go out for you as soon as you leave the lot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts