Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2012 Kia Soul. Base. 1.6l, MT. Recently..or just 2 days ago I replace the radiator since it had a leak. And so I did, and left engine running without cap to let out any bubbles. And I did add the correct coolant, for aluminum. And so at first car thermostat show it was rising to hot. And so I pulled over. And turned car off. And noticed coolant was low. And also CEL came on. And after a while it started blinking and then at idle I feel the engine vibrating. Then car cools off and does same thing over again. I dont see any leaks under car and also my coolant reservoir gets filled with coolant aswell way over the F limit. And with CEL and blinks and goes aways and does that at periods of times when I drove it. And so I dont know whats going on. Any idea whats going on that someone might of experienced already??

·
Registered
546 Posts
Are you sure the radiator was the problem? It sounds to me like you still have a leak and it is overheating. Pin hole in a hose? Water pump? How many miles does it have on it? Could be a head gasket. I have replaced these afforementioned items several times on an engine long before the radiator started leaking. I find it strange unless the radiator was damaged some how that a car that new would need a radiator already.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
Kia has a great warranty so I would get it to the dealer ASAP! :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
unless its severe a lot of rad places can fix it without replacement. Why was it not replaced under warranty?

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Have you checked that you are actually getting water flow? The top hose should be cool until the thermostat opens. If you don't feel the top hose get suddenly hot then the thermostat may be stuck shut. Without water flow, you will get no cooling through the radiator and hence, overheating.

Are we all understanding this properly? You replaced the radiator? How come you never took the car to KIA? If it's a 'stat or whatever problem it should be covered under warranty. If you DID take it to KIA it's their responsibility to ensure that the cooling system functions correctly after changing any of the components.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes, I want to know why you replaced the rad in the first place, and why you didn't take it in for warranty. How many miles do you have on your Soul?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I like to buy cars with good warranties and then trade them off before they go out of warranty, so I don't have to Futz with things like leaky radiators.
Living on a limited income, I can't stand expensive car repairs.

That problem sounds like an air-lock in the system someplace, like maybe a stuck thermostat (already mentioned).

Good Luck!
:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts