Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Virtually all automobile drain, 'flush', replace and perhaps repeat exercises in maintenance leave a bit of the original oil or fluid behind. It is not a big deal but this is the first time I am doing this to the Soul and want to get a good idea of many times I should repeat this process.

In effort to be a little more rigorous, I simulated the repeated drain, 'flush' on a spreadsheet.

Three drains and two flushes reduce the remaining old anti-freeze to 3.2% of total capacity. I believe that is adequate.

Kia Soul litres
Capacity
5​
Drained
3.5​
70.0%​
drained
Left
1.5​
Anti-freeze left
0.75​
'=>
15.0%​
of capacity
Fill with DI H2O
Run engine/flush
Drain again
3.5​
Anti-freeze left
0.23​
'=>
4.5%​
of capacity
Fill with DI H2O
Run engine/flush
Drain again
3.5​
Anti-freeze left
0.16​
'=>
3.2%​
of capacity
Target % anti-freeze
2.75​
55.0%​
Should add
2.59​
anti-freeze
In auto so far
4.09​
Add DI H2O
0.91​
Notes: DI H20 = de-ionized water
50/50 initial mix assumed
Uniform dispersion of anti-freeze assumed

This process is a little tedious. Patience is required for things to drip out for air bubbles in the cooling system to work their way out. That and the old anti-freeze requires special management because it is toxic. Getting this done at the stealership or a qualified independent mechanic is a good option, especially for the time-constrained.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you want to avoid the shops and do it yourself and have an air compressor at home you can buy one of the vacuum kits for cooling systems. Get the car nice and hot till the thermostat opens, vacuum out the system till you see all the hoses collapse and then flick the switch and it will vacuum fill it. No mess this way as you have 2 bottles, one for the old and one for the new coolant.
That is if you have an air compressor at home that I thought you might as you seem like a do it yourselfer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timely post bwdz75. -hehe- As I was looking over how-tos and similar just before starting this exercise, I came across no-spill radiator funnels and recommendations to use vacuum kits for refilling cooling systems.

They are not too expensive on amazon.CA, ~C$75, e.g., N / A JIFETOR Cooling System Vacuum Purge Radiator Coolant Refill Tool Kit.

Trouble is that I do not use air for the impact wrench but rather have an 18 volt brushless impact wrench that is more than powerful enough.

I do have a one gallon air compressor that I use with a Brad gun for finishing (mostly trim and molding). Also use it for blowing out the irrigation lines in the garden.

A NAPA Auto how-to suggests that the air compressor needs to maintain a constant 90 lb. of pressure. KNOW-HOW NOTES: USING A RADIATOR VACUUM TOOL

Suppose I could try to borrow a larger air compressor.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts