Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2401 - 2413 of 2413 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
:unsure: It would only be a afternoon job if the bell housings and input shafts were the same. I hear that the ride in the 13' and newer are much better so that is probably not going to happen anyway.
Yeah I agree. It is nice to have. Even when I put my 1.6 into 6th on the highway, it really calms things down & mpgs jump to mid 30's. The problem is the trips in 6th aren't very far :)

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
just recently got back from a two week vacation taking my 2016 Soul SX and kept track of the fuel economy for the adventure and one of the fill-ups consisting of a total of 630 km, came back with an average of 6.7L/100 km, was very pleased with that.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
just recently got back from a two week vacation taking my 2016 Soul SX and kept track of the fuel economy for the adventure and one of the fill-ups consisting of a total of 630 km, came back with an average of 6.7L/100 km, was very pleased with that.
That's good mileage conwel. If my math is right, that's about 35.1 mpg in the States :)

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
That's good mileage conwel. If my math is right, that's about 35.1 mpg in the States :)
bang-on, Google is good at the conversions or 42.2 mpg for the imperial gallon 😁
The official highway rating for mine is 7.5L/100 km. My other fill-ups on the trip ranged from 7.0 - 7.6

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
bang-on, Google is good at the conversions or 42.2 mpg for the imperial gallon 😁
The official highway rating for mine is 7.5L/100 km. My other fill-ups on the trip ranged from 7.0 - 7.6
Were you hyper miling or just driving normal? That was really good mileage!

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
We're you hyper miling or just driving normal? That was really good mileage!
not sure how you do "hyper-miling" so just normal driving to the conditions of the roads I was traveling on. This was in central Quebec - beautiful country.

·
Registered
55 Posts
not sure how you do "hyper-miling" so just normal driving to the conditions of the roads I was traveling on. This was in central Quebec - beautiful country.
"hypermiling" is the practice of driving to achieve above average fuel mileage. ie being very light on the throttle, not pushing hard to climb hills using as much momentum as possible, drafting whenever possible, etc.

Central Quebec (along the St Lawrence valley) is mostly flat and contributes to great fuel economy as well as the 60 MPH(100KPH) speed limit. I can get nearly that milage in my Soul through there as well, even my Caravan gets 30 MPG from Trois-Riviere to Ottawa in Ontario. My peterbilt got 10MPG through there and it normally only averaged 5 - 6 when on the interstates where I could go 65-75 MPH. In my experience wind plays a huge part in driving in that area as well especially the further east you go. My favorite time of year there is when the snow geese are migrating, there are SO MANY the fields look like they are snow covered along the river.

·
Registered
14,921 Posts
"hypermiling" is the practice of driving to achieve above average fuel mileage. ie being very light on the throttle, not pushing hard to climb hills using as much momentum as possible, drafting whenever possible, etc.

Central Quebec (along the St Lawrence valley) is mostly flat and contributes to great fuel economy as well as the 60 MPH(100KPH) speed limit. I can get nearly that milage in my Soul through there as well, even my Caravan gets 30 MPG from Trois-Riviere to Ottawa in Ontario. My peterbilt got 10MPG through there and it normally only averaged 5 - 6 when on the interstates where I could go 65-75 MPH. In my experience wind plays a huge part in driving in that area as well especially the further east you go. My favorite time of year there is when the snow geese are migrating, there are SO MANY the fields look like they are snow covered along the river.
in general I am always light on the throttle (seeing my instant fuel economy read out helps in that regard), but I would never do drafting (that is dangerous).
I did very little along the St. Lawrence, mostly further inland on both sides of the river. I only drove on the Trans-Canada when I had no choice. I went as far north as Baie-Comeau and took the ferry across the St. Lawrence to Matane (a 2.5 hr crossing).

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've used a technique that I read about on the MPG forum, some years ago, called P&G (pulse and glide).
It's where you give the car just enough throttle (gas) to keep up your momentum. On a trip down to South Central FL one day, I was on two lane state roads and using the P&G technique and I got 47.x MPG for the trip. That was on my 2013 Base model, 1.6L, AT.

Most of your MPG, good or bad, us right under your right foot.

Cheers Mates,
:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
in general I am always light on the throttle (seeing my instant fuel economy read out helps in that regard), but I would never do drafting (that is dangerous).
I did very little along the St. Lawrence, mostly further inland on both sides of the river. I only drove on the Trans-Canada when I had no choice. I went as far north as Baie-Comeau and took the ferry across the St. Lawrence to Matane (a 2.5 hr crossing).
That is VERY impressive, some of the terrain is quite hilly. As far as drafting, you son't need to be on their bumper as even at a typical highway speed distance there is still some effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 Soul Plus
27 City
32.5 Highway
(Increased tire pressure to 38psi and changed air cleaner to K&N system, car runs better accelerates better and I get better gas mileage than when I first bought it.)

2401 - 2413 of 2413 Posts