Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2381 - 2400 of 2422 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
With this new forum software, it's kind of hard to know exactly who posted what and when.

Many of the tricks I learned while driving my 2013 Soul 1.6L seem to work just fine on my brand new 2020 KIA Soul LX.
For instance, "Pulse & Glide" works a treat!

When I mentioned that I like to use 8th gear (manually shifted) out on the highway, when at highway speeds, I was basically called a "Liar". Someone was just showing their ignorance about the new IVT transmission.
In "D" the IVT will climb up to 6th gear when I'm getting up to Fast Lane speed. It will not automatically shift higher, at least not on MY car. But once up to full road speed, I can go "Manual" and shift through 7th gear and into 8th Gear which is a true "Overdrive". Don't try to pass someone, or climb a hill in 8th gear though...that ain't a gonna happen.
That's when dropping back to 6th gear will get you there.

Just this past Monday, I drove into town, on I-75, to get my windows tinted, and I was in the Fast Lane and cruising easy at 83 mph. in 8th gear. I checked with my Scan Gauge II, to see what kind of MPG I was getting and I was pleasantly surprised to see I was getting 35 mpg. I might expect that kind of MPG at say 55 to 60 mph, but not at 83.
Then I checked my Tach and I was surprised to see that my 2.0L engine was only turning 2400 rpm. She was just loafing!!! The horsepower on our little engines is rated at an rpm of 6200. But that's in the factory, on a Dyno, not out on the highway.

This little car just never ceases to surprise me. She's a keeper!

So far, top speed has been 115 mph, till I ran out of highway.

:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, 2014, 2 litre Soul Auto, 98,000 kilometres on the clock. Just completed a 3000 klm drive about southern australia, the Soul tells me that the average speed was 76kph, (highway speeds in Australia are mostly 100kph, some are 110kph) the engine was running for 39 hours, I used 200 litres of 95 octane fuel (no oil), average of 42 Miles per gallon or 6.7 L/100klm.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Most I get out of my '12 is 29mpg but that combined. I found that the older it gets the better the mpg gets, I'm going to try it with the tires @ 36psi cold.

·
Registered
245 Posts
4 years into owning a '12 Shadow, Colorado Driving (high altitude) uses Shell Premium V-power every fill, I have 67k on the odometer and average 29.8 mixed driving. Best I ever got was 36 while driving highway through Kansas up to Idaho. Good Stuff. Still in love with my Shadow (Sol).

My sig needs updating, been a while since I have been around.. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Been almost 3 months and always above 31 on paper. Avg 250 miles/week, light traffic, 1.5 mile to highway. 7 miles highway with lights every half timed decent, 9.5 miles interstate, 3.2 miles thoroughfare. work and back x5

·
Registered
14 Posts
Changed my plugs at 60,000. Always full synthetic, moderate driving habits ( some anger but no violence) always got 24 minimum 28 max.MPG 2 litre 90,000 miles. Runs like a charm.

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Don't feel too bad - unless I take a really long freeway trip I can't get over 20 MPG. The gas mileage in my 2015 Exclaim is the main complaint I have. I track with Fuelly too and it confirms how poor it is with city driving.
Agree, can't get good mileage with 100 percent city traffic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
all you folk are driving some kind of magical vehicle ... i can't even clear 24MPG. :(
Without even trying my 11' gets around 28 MPG(highway+city) oddly enough on a highway only trip I can only get average 26 MPG driving between 65-75 MPH. My Dodge Caravan will get 27 MPH on the same trip with MUCH more comfort but is pathetic in the city.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,762 Posts
Without even trying my 11' gets around 28 MPG(highway+city) oddly enough on a highway only trip I can only get average 26 MPG driving between 65-75 MPH. My Dodge Caravan will get 27 MPH on the same trip with MUCH more comfort but is pathetic in the city.
If only your 11' had a 6th gear. Then you'd be up in the 30's. I think they added it the next year.

2381 - 2400 of 2422 Posts