Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2361 - 2380 of 2412 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
*I've never understood that either, because you cannot buy gasoline or motor oil that is free of any additives. In fact, they are LOADED with all kinds of additives, as much as possible without just exploding the price of the products.

:cool:
Apples to oranges. There is NO comparing a manufacturers ENGINEERED specific blend of additives and some snake oil being thrown in after the fact throwing the ENGINEERED blend of additives. Again, it is a SPECIFIC DESIGNED BY ENGINEERS blend of additives in PROPER amounts that WORK TOGETHER.
Some additives DO NOT work well with others, some, in ratios BEYOND what the ENGINEERS developed can cause problems
A good analogy is cake batter, follow the recipe and it comes out great. Eggs make a cake moist, add a few extra above the recipes instructions and now you have a gloppy mess.

I can only speak for my experience with two Souls. Both show improved MPG on the computer after WFO runs. Keeping your car under 3000 RPM will not guarantee good MPG. But in my experience, romping on it a few times per tank does improve MPG.

Believe what you like. Carbon and general crud DOES build up on the intake valves. That occurs on some GDI mills more than others. VW seems to be the worst. H/K seem to have done pretty well in minimizing it. But I stand by my statement, I have observed it countless times over several years.
Soooooo cruising at 4500 rpm could get me better mpg then under 3000................r-i-i-i-i-i-ight! <rolls eyes>

The carbon and 'general crud' build up on GDI engines occurs on the back side of the valves. Run WOT all day long if you want, you aint gonna touch that, it's outside the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just an update. I added Prolong Engine Treatment to my crankcase. I took the setting off of ECO mode, and drove it without actually trying to save gas. I tested it through two fill-ups. I'm averaging 21 mpg. That's city driving, no highway, and no stop and go traffic. Pretty disappointing is all I'm going to say.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why? For the love of God why did you add that snake oil crap to your car? :confusion:
Do you completely miss the page in the Souls owners manual where it say DO NOT use additives to the oil?!?!?!?!?!?
How about the label on the oil you use that says the same thing?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
25 Posts
* 2011 Soul 2.0 L
* Automatic
* A/C
* ECO off
* 87 octane gas (common brand name)
* Conventional 5W20 engine oil
* After 154,000 kms

Best: 5.0 L/100 kms. Flat back country roads in upstate NY cruising at about 80 to 90 km/h. Late spring. Happy driving.
Worst: 9.5 L/100 kms. Winter, super cold, stuck in city traffic congestion. Not fun.
Typical: 7.8 L/100 kms. Mixed highway and city driving weekdays, any season, with and without snow tires.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't know if "balls to the walls" helps mileage or not "but" I do it from time to time to help me know how the motor is running. I feel that if it will run OK at higher RPM it seems to be doing OK at lower RPM. Maybe driving from one extreme to the other helps problems become more obvious under both driving conditions.

Edited to add MPG: 21MPG according to dash readout. I did check and it has been accurate in the past. This is mostly local driving in 50MPH speed zones and a few miles on side 35MPH residential streets.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hey Rat Rod, that seems a little low for mixed driving. Do you know what Kia says it should get?

If it's running good, I'd be ok with that mpg :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I guess I should have added I am in Florida and use A/C. We also have a dog and when shopping the motor idles quite a bit waiting for wifey to spend our money. I can go ten miles at 50MPH but have 7 traffic lights so a good chance of waiting there.

Like my Uncle Carl once said when I asked him what his Oldsmobile got for MPG, "if you worry about MPG you can't afford a car and should start walking early so your not late".

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Thanks for extra details Rat. I idle more in the winters too, to keep warm & listen to XM (we eat lunch in the car) & that drops my mpg down 3-4 points.

I can't wait to finally use my AC again, in like in 5 months. Its only 21 degrees this morning (-6 C)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for extra details Rat. I idle more in the winters too, to keep warm & listen to XM (we eat lunch in the car) & that drops my mpg down 3-4 points.

I can't wait to finally use my AC again, in like in 5 months. Its only 21 degrees this morning (-6 C)
They say our temps are Lows 55 High 85. Florida is OK if you are a morning person. Out early and work outside until about Noon. Then it is A/C the rest of the day. That is how we keep the mileage on our cars so low. We have two vehicles and drive less that 5,000 for both. Our 2013 Soul only has 44,000 miles on it. Our 2008 Expedition only has 55,000.

I can wait on some of these traffic lights and MPG drops almost one MPG. I can go to other cities and MPG will change. Here our traffic lights are set to let the main highway traffic keep flowing. Side streets are held a long time. I have made a right turn onto the highway, driven to the first left turn to make a U-turn and come back to the intersection before the light changes. That works if The light changes right when I get to the intersection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Soul about a year ago after my (old) New Beetle finally died. I was actually expecting to improve my mileage a bit, even though it's a bigger car, just because it's more than a decade newer, but that...has not been the case.

I've been tracking my mileage in my cars for years, and I'm now getting ~9.1 km/l or 21 mpg, for mixed driving, which is atrocious, no?

All my research says this car should be able to get closer to 24-26mpg without much trouble.

So obviously now every noise and idiosyncracy the car exhibits is related to the mileage problem in my head. I took it in for a tuneup at the beginning of winter and they didn't find anything worrying, so I can't even really bring it in and ask them to just look at it.

tl:dr - My mileage is ~9 KM/L. Is this just within the standard deviations for this car, or is this something that should be looked at?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hi brebeuf,

I don't think I would call that "atrocious" for an 9 year old Soul. There may be some tune up stuff you can have done to help, like spark plugs, pcv valve etc. Also depending on overall mileage on the Soul, carbon deposits on the valves and combustion chamber can rob gas mileage.

Do Canadians run a "winter blend" of gas like in the States? During the winter months my mileage drops with ethanol flavored gas by as much as 4 mpg.

Depending on how much you spend on gas, it may be cheaper to just pay a little more for gas than to have a bunch of work done on an otherwise good running Soul.

Gen 2 Souls didn't get much of a bump in mileage over Gen 1, but I hear Gen 3 will be much better.

All the best and welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@geosoul -

Interesting, thanks for the input. I guess the "atrocious" part is in reference to how much worse it is than my beetle which, by the end, wasn't exactly the pinnacle of car health and not getting the best mileage.

Re: Winter blends. I have heard that, but can't really speak to it. It's definitely possible, though I'm comparing my Soul mileage to my Beetle mileage across the same time period, so it removes that as a variable, for that comparison at least.

That's good to know though, it's always tough getting used to a new car's quirks and you never know when something is a sign of something larger. Next stop for me...why does rev so high when it's cold?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
You know brebuef it could be a small vacuum leak or even a malfunctioning throttle control. Cars are so complicated these days eh?

Your dealer can probably save you some grief by hooking it to their diagnostic computer and hopefully isolate any problems.

I was wondering if you've run a bottle of Techron through your gas tank. If not, Kia suggests it from time to time. It can clean engine deposits and fuel injectors, which can cause poor idling and gas mileage.

You know, course of least resistance, and expense :)

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
brebeuf - your measurement seems odd, as in Canada all fuel economy is measured in L/100 km. Are you figuring it out correctly?

also please indicate in your drive info whether you have the 5-speed manual or 4-spd auto in your 2.0L model.

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK, I topped off, drove half a tank out without sitting still idling. Dash shows 25.7. Maybe not so bad for a 2013 Soul!, 2.0 motor, automatic, and three trips combined. Highest speed was a constant 50, cruise controlled for five miles, the rest at 35/40MPH. ECO on and soft accelerator. Next maybe a longer hwy trip.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
OK, I topped off, drove half a tank out without sitting still idling. Dash shows 25.7. Maybe not so bad for a 2013 Soul!, 2.0 motor, automatic, and three trips combined. Highest speed was a constant 50, cruise controlled for five miles, the rest at 35/40MPH. ECO on and soft accelerator. Next maybe a longer hwy trip.
Forget the ECO it doesn't do much if anything IMO . Take off normal from stops rather than inching along as you will get to speed much quicker and that saves a lil bit .

·
Registered
242 Posts
Forget the ECO it doesn't do much if anything IMO . Take off normal from stops rather than inching along as you will get to speed much quicker and that saves a lil bit .
I turned the ECO on not for acceleration but for when driving. When I take foot from accelerator, at driving speeds, the transmission allows the vehicle to coast and no drag on the transmission. Without the ECO and I take foot from accelerator there is a drag, like a braking action. The difference is like when driving the straight drive car and lifting off of the accelerator and letting the motor/clutch slow car or simply pushing the clutch in for coasting. The ECO to me makes for a smoother ride in traffic and constant speed changes. JMHO. I have not found much difference between acceleration of ECO or non-ECO.

I paid more attention to ECO operation today. Seems when in ECO mode the transmission will go to higher gears, make the engine lug, to hold engine RPM down so less gas. Saying no ECO and accelerate to driving speed will find the best operating RPM forgets the ECO mode does lower RPM faster. I do prefer the engine not have so much lugging because I feel that is harder on the motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2012 Kia Soul + model. It has 118k miles on it. I'm getting around 28 mpg (all local roads 40% stop and go traffic). It has synthetic blend oil in it. I don't use echo mode and don't press hard especially in lower gears. I give time to reach traffic speed. New spark plugs/coils/brakes/tyres(currently 225-55-R16 Michelin Defender)/costco gas.

I'm about to change tires to 215/65R15 (steel wheels from eBay with Hankook tires form Walmart). I'm hoping to get a smoother ride than current Michelin (inspired by FLHamster's post!).

BTW, I have been playing with tyre sizes and side wall heights using below link.

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/

2361 - 2380 of 2412 Posts