Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just bought a 2010 kia soul+ I wanted the audio upgrace, the dealer didn't have one and after much haggling dropped the price and assured me I could do something better anyway. So several questions I can't find answers to...

1-can dealer do the audio upgrade (local dealer said no, but thought that was strange and that they should be able to)
2-If they can't is there anywhere to buy it and let them do it?
3-I care nothing bout the lights, I want a kickass stereo so ultimately I am sure I would be better off doing it non factory style, BUT would I have to change the head unit? Does the non upgraded audio head unit have any outputs so that you could hook up external amps and subwoofers?
4-If you have to replace the head unit, anyone have links to recommended ones? Do you lose the steering wheel controls if you change the headunit? (that would be a dealbreaker)
5-Is it possible to slip speakers in the center spot in the dash, and in the location the subwoofer would have been in the factory upgrade (assuming I can hook up amps and wore it etc.)?

I have only found a whole bunch of dicscussions with people talking about upgrading the already upgrded stereo but I want to find out what people do to upgrade the non upgraded stereo? Please help!! Links to products and accessories and stores would be great. I have the budget, just need to empower myself with knowledge before I talk to dealers and/or car audio shops. THanks!!

Other upgrades (audio is first one and I want to do it right away) I want to do though are black rims, spoiler, window tinting, rain guards, splash guards, bumper applique, roof rack. Really want an all black shadow (black windows, paint rims, tiress, etc.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok just bought a 2010 kia soul+ I wanted the audio upgrace, the dealer didn't have one and after much haggling dropped the price and assured me I could do something better anyway. So several questions I can't find answers to...

1-can dealer do the audio upgrade (local dealer said no, but thought that was strange and that they should be able to)
2-If they can't is there anywhere to buy it and let them do it?
3-I care nothing bout the lights, I want a kickass stereo so ultimately I am sure I would be better off doing it non factory style, BUT would I have to change the head unit? Does the non upgraded audio head unit have any outputs so that you could hook up external amps and subwoofers?
4-If you have to replace the head unit, anyone have links to recommended ones? Do you lose the steering wheel controls if you change the headunit? (that would be a dealbreaker)
5-Is it possible to slip speakers in the center spot in the dash, and in the location the subwoofer would have been in the factory upgrade (assuming I can hook up amps and wore it etc.)?

I have only found a whole bunch of dicscussions with people talking about upgrading the already upgrded stereo but I want to find out what people do to upgrade the non upgraded stereo? Please help!! Links to products and accessories and stores would be great. I have the budget, just need to empower myself with knowledge before I talk to dealers and/or car audio shops. THanks!!

Other upgrades (audio is first one and I want to do it right away) I want to do though are black rims, spoiler, window tinting, rain guards, splash guards, bumper applique, roof rack. Really want an all black shadow (black windows, paint rims, tiress, etc.)
I also asked my dealer after I bought my Soul+ w/o audio upgrade how much to buy and install the upgrade and they also said they don't do it on non-factory equipped models because of warranty reasons. You can find the parts and stuff online but it will void the warranty on your radio if you install it / have anyone else install it. No idea about the inputs on the back of the factory head unit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Combined with soulsplats post, I think it's fair to say that the dealership won't/can't do much in the way of upgrading your system.

The good news is that you can use the speaker wires from the factory head unit to connect an amp (including a subwoofer/amp). Unless you already familiar and willing to do the work yourself, find a REPUTABLE car stereo installer and explain what you want.

The salesman was right in my opinion. I have the best audio package offered in the Soul and am not impressed. The tweeters are way too harsh/tinny and the sub is pretty worthless at frequencies lower than 50Hz.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You don't have to get rid of the factory head unit, they can do pretty much anything these days. But definitely go aftermarket. If you are going to spend money on a stereo, don't bother with the factory stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Non upgraded stereo

I would stay with the factory unit due to the fact that it would be very difficult and expensive to wire any aftermarket unit into the Bluetooth and steeringwheel audio controls. You could install a center speaker simply by tapping into the existing speaker wires at the rear of the head-unit. The stereo will not have any extra outputs for an amp, This leaves you with two options, an amp with line level inputs, or in my case, a line out converter, this is a small box that takes line-level and converts it to pre-amp level with RCA's. Although this is a simple install, it does require some basic car wiring and audio knowledge. The mos difficult part will be removing the radio fascia to get the head unit out. You can find instructions on removing the fascia in my post here. http://www.kiasoulforums.com/29-how-diy/7794-removing-radio-fascia-installing-extra-outlet.html

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would stay with the factory unit due to the fact that it would be very difficult and expensive to wire any aftermarket unit into the Bluetooth and steeringwheel audio controls.l[/URL]
Not actually true anymore. You cant get adapters to go to your fancy new head unit for pretty cheap these days.

·
Registered
925 Posts
As far as adding the upgraded radio in,unless the wiring harness is the same it will not be a plug n play deal. And the dealer cant warranty it
Aftermarket is the way to go. You can get many more options
Steering wheel controls will still work. Bluetooth controls I have yet to find a way to make the factory buttons work with aftermarket headunit.
As far as hooking amps to factory you just need an amp with line in connections or a line level convertor.
You can put a center channel speaker on the dash and a flat sub would fit in the stock rear area. If you could seal the area it will sound good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts