Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to decide which trim (base or +) and transmission combination will work best for me and my budget, and I'm leaning toward the 2013 Plus with a manual transmission. However there are several things I've been unable to figure out from Kia's website, and which my Kia dealer doesn't seem to know. None of the dealerships within 50 miles of me have a 2013 + M/T, so I can't even go check in person. So I figured I'd ask people here who have one. If I decide to go this route, my Kia dealer will have to order the car for me. So, can someone tell me if the following are come standard on the + M/T; (I think they all come standard on the plus A/T; but there seem to be A LOT of differences between the A/T and M/T that should have NOTHING to do with the transmission).

illuminated ignition ring?
privacy glass?
active eco system?
6-way adj. driver’s seat?
60/40 rear seat?
rear door map pocket w/ bottle holder?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
1 - illuminated ignition ring?
2 - privacy glass?
3 - active eco system?
4 - 6-way adj. driver’s seat?
5 - 60/40 rear seat?
6 - rear door map pocket w/ bottle holder?
1 - standard (not 100% positive on this on US models)
2 - standard except MT base model (rear side windows and rear hatch glass)
3 - standard on all AT
4 - standard except MT base model
5 - standard all models (why would you think otherwise, how else would you have the back seats?)
6 - standard

check out this site it may help you see things clearer 2013 Kia Soul Features & Options

would show you photos but only have the Canadian versions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1 - standard (not 100% positive on this on US models)
2 - standard except MT base model (rear side windows and rear hatch glass)
3 - standard on all AT
4 - standard except MT base model
5 - standard all models (why would you think otherwise, how else would you have the back seats?)
6 - standard

check out this site it may help you see things clearer 2013 Kia Soul Features & Options

would show you photos but only have the Canadian versions.
First of all, THANK YOU for such a quick and thorough reply.
As to why I thought otherwise, I looked on Kia Cars, SUVs, Crossovers, Minivans, & Future Vehicles | Kia Motors America and, I selected the Kia Soul and then Features, and they have a little asterisk (*) next to the 60/40 fold down seats, and other things. When I click on the asterisk, a dialog box comes up saying "Not available on M/T". And that's on Kia's website. So that's why I wondered.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
First of all, THANK YOU for such a quick and thorough reply.
As to why I thought otherwise, I looked on Kia Cars, SUVs, Crossovers, Minivans, & Future Vehicles | Kia Motors America and, I selected the Kia Soul and then Features, and they have a little asterisk (*) next to the 60/40 fold down seats, and other things. When I click on the asterisk, a dialog box comes up saying "Not available on M/T". And that's on Kia's website. So that's why I wondered.
I see what you mean, maybe its something to with the headrests themselves not the seat split. But US members should be able to confirm this for you. I know there is no difference on rear seat set up on all Canadian models.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yea, I think there is a full seat on the cheaper ones. In other words, you can't fold down just 1/2 of it.

EDIT: I went over to my local dealerships website and out of 99 Souls, none of which I checked did not have the 60/40 seat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The reason you can't find a MT in a + is because most people that spend the extra on the + want the automatic. I didn't even check if the MT was avaliable on the +. I just assumed they were all AT's. I was on a budget but yet wanted it to look more like a + and wanted the AT. So I chose the base with 16' wheels with AT. I have everything you mentioned above. My dealer here in NC had most of what I just bought. He didn't even have much else. So what I wanted must of been popular. The most bang for your buck kinda deal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I think there is a full seat on the cheaper ones. In other words, you can't fold down just 1/2 of it.

EDIT: I went over to my local dealerships website and out of 99 Souls, none of which I checked did not have the 60/40 seat.
Thank you, DMWAGNER. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason you can't find a MT in a + is because most people that spend the extra on the + want the automatic. I didn't even check if the MT was avaliable on the +. I just assumed they were all AT's. I was on a budget but yet wanted it to look more like a + and wanted the AT. So I chose the base with 16' wheels with AT. I have everything you mentioned above. My dealer here in NC had most of what I just bought. He didn't even have much else. So what I wanted must of been popular. The most bang for your buck kinda deal.
First of all, thank you for your comments. You've given me some compelling reasons to reconsider going the same route you did: 2013 Base A/T 1.6 with the 16" Alloy wheels. There is very little difference in MSRP between the Base w/16" wheels and the Plus M/T. You get some additional features with the plus, such as heated side mirrors, an extra 12V outlet, and so on. But the key differences are the transmissions and the engines. And I have about ten days to make up my mind.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Be sure you love the MT ( LONG TERM ) or you will get sick of shifting and be stuck with it. I made that mistake before buying a new car with a MT.

Getting the AT automaticly gives you other options even with base. Cruise control for one.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
As tired of pushing in a clutch pedal with my four speed MT as I got, 23 years ago, I can't imagine having to clutch a 5 or 6 speed MT now. If the MT was all that was available any more, I'd be riding a bicycle. Or doing a lot of hitchhiking. :)

I know I've said this before, so please bear with me....."the mating of the 1.6L engine and the 6 speed AT is a beautiful work of art". And you'd never have to replace a clutch as so many have had to do. Just read through the forums....there are many, many threads on just the topic of Clutch problems.

And apparently there are other perks that come with the AT. I did get the Cruise Control, phone and radio vol. controls on the steering wheel. Six way driver's seat and 60/40 split, fold down rear seats.
And I can play like a real gearhead and shift gears manually if I really want to. (the AT does a much smoother job than I could ever do.)

Again, when I bought my car, I had only two per-requisites.....AT and Cruise control, and everything else was the icing on the cake. I also got the deluxe floor mats, lighted glove box and really great AC/Heat and a stereo that can wake the dead.
Also, rear windows defogger, wiper and washer. And 10,000 air bags. Well, maybe not quite 10,000 but more than I can even count. They're hiding everywhere!
The Allstate Insurance Co. apparently LOVES the Soul. They dropped my monthly insurance pmt by $30 a month, when I got the Soul. My agent told me its because the Soul is such a SAFE car.

If there was any negative at all with this car, it was the lack of a spare tire. They did give me the re-inflation device, which is a joke at best and an insult at worse. I quickly replaced that thing with a full size spare, exactly like the tires and wheels already on my car, a small floor jack and other hand tools to make changing a tire a real snap. My dealer's parts guy really did me a big favor, by selling me the tire and wheel, new valve stem, aired up and put in the back of my car for $98+tax. I normally couldn't even buy just a wheel for that.

I'm sorry, if you can't already tell that I'm a very happy new Soul owner. Eh?

:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Be sure you love the MT ( LONG TERM ) or you will get sick of shifting and be stuck with it. I made that mistake before buying a new car with a MT.

Getting the AT automaticly gives you other options even with base. Cruise control for one.
Another compelling reason to lean toward the automatic. I drove M/T vehicles in the military many, many years ago. I was a kid then. We're talking more than thirty years ago. I neither loved nor disliked it. When I learned to drive, I learned on a standard (manual). But since those days, I've only driven a M/T for maybe a month (total) in the last thirty-plus years. I had been considering it for a couple of reasons. One is money. I like the Plus trim, but the A/T is $1000 more than the M/T. If I opt for the Plus A/T, I won't be able to afford some of the things I wanted to get along with the car (e.g. a second set of wheels with a set of Blizzak snow tires, which I plan to switch to every winter). Many people say driving a M/T is more fun. But your, and some other people's comments on here, are helping me to give more thought to the Base A/T.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know I've said this before, so please bear with me....."the mating of the 1.6L engine and the 6 speed AT is a beautiful work of art".

...And apparently there are other perks that come with the AT. I did get the Cruise Control, phone and radio vol. controls on the steering wheel. Six way driver's seat and 60/40 split, fold down rear seats.
...The Allstate Insurance Co. apparently LOVES the Soul. They dropped my monthly insurance pmt by $30 a month, when I got the Soul. My agent told me its because the Soul is such a SAFE car.

...If there was any negative at all with this car, it was the lack of a spare tire. They did give me the re-inflation device, which is a joke at best and an insult at worse.

...I'm sorry, if you can't already tell that I'm a very happy new Soul owner. Eh?

:cool:
Although you took the time to say quite a bit, I would like to respond to several points you made. First, I have read some of your other comments about this 1.6 with this A/T. I'm glad you mentioned it again. I'm also glad you mentioned that one of the perks with the A/T is cruise control. I hadn't thought of that. I am particularly glad that you mentioned the way Insurance companies view the Soul. I imagine that would be true with either transmission, but it is still a pretty cool thing to know about the Soul. As to the only negative you mentioned, I couldn't agree more. When I went to my dealership and saw that inflation kit thing, I was surprised and disappointed. I already found a place that sells a spare for the soul (though at more than double what you paid).

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
When I went to my dealership and saw that inflation kit thing, I was surprised and disappointed. I already found a place that sells a spare for the soul (though at more than double what you paid).
PM our member Cobra259, he's a part manager at a KIA dealership in the US, he will give you a fair price on a complete spare kit and ship it to you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts