Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I purchased a 2021 EX, didnt come with the little led stripe in the lights, so decided to swap them out for these (see picture top is old bottom is the replacement)

But I would of thought theyd be running all the time no? anyone actually have these on there ex?

I can get them to come on, if i remove the lights from auto to parking lights, which defeats it really as now the back lights are on and some states are not to keen.

If someone knows any information, or has an idea to make them come on - handy with wiring just not the idea.
Or if they know there is an option on the computer system that KIA use at the dealer (not sure what the name is so if you guys can let me know that if anyone knows too)

thanks in advance sorry if its been completed and done before and i didnt see it in the search.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sadly. If you didn't have them when you bought your kia. It will not turn on by itself, due to missing relays and controllers on the car itself.

On the process to turn the on like DRL's. It is more complicated to do it as a DIY. Because it needs power to a specific plug inside the socket of the connector

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone reading this have a wiring diagram, there must be a way to have this work by tapping an acc wire or something.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are there any clues in the relay/fuse box(es), maybe something missing?
If not it sounds like something configured in the computer so you’d need some sort of tool to activate it.
There may also be a difference in the wiring harness (there certainly is between LED and non LED lamp equipped cars as the lights are in different positions (top vs bottom). If that’s the case you’ll need to feed from switched live to a relay, whose input would be the battery (add an inline fuse close as possible to the battery!) and whose output would be the lamp input in parallel to the existing input (parallel so that the parking function still works normally)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are there any clues in the relay/fuse box(es), maybe something missing?
If not it sounds like something configured in the computer so you’d need some sort of tool to activate it.
There may also be a difference in the wiring harness (there certainly is between LED and non LED lamp equipped cars as the lights are in different positions (top vs bottom). If that’s the case you’ll need to feed from switched live to a relay, whose input would be the battery (add an inline fuse close as possible to the battery!) and whose output would be the lamp input in parallel to the existing input (parallel so that the parking function still works normally)
Thats roughly what I was thinking would be possible, I am in search of the "tool" have most vehicles just not KIA sadly as this is my first ever kia. But if i cant i thought maybe i could do some kind of bypass with a relay itself. Was actually looking because the KIA sorento people are selling a relay wiring set on ebay/forums to actually do what it is we are talking about which is using the led as a DRL and not having to use the parking lights.

Also factoring in that the ex comes with these as standard at my local dealership, i just was unlucky at the dealership as i wanted silver and all they had in an EX was camo green with the LED strip and projector headlights (and im tired of camo - many years in the military)

question though, could you dumb it down slightly for me what you said lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
I WILL PREFIX THIS BY POINTING OUT I AM NOT A QUALIFIED AUTOMOTIVE OR ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC ENGINEER AND THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION.
DO AT YOUR OWN RISK, I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT MAY HAPPEN TO YOU OR YOUR CAR.

It's been a decade since I did anything like this and I typically advise against this kind of ghetto rigging these days but two ideas spring to mind although the details and feasibility depend on the car (and I haven’t looked) and without drawing a proper diagram this is a bit tricky to explain but....

Currently:
Code:
                        S1 (signal from parking light position on switch)
                         |
                         |
                         V
[BATTERY]-> [FUSE]—-> [RELAY] —> (DRL)

Idea 1:
Code:
                      S1   S2 (ignition on signal, take from closest convenient tap)
                       D   D  (Diodes to stop current from coming backwards when the other is on)
                       |   |
                       -----
                         |
                         V
[BATTERY]-> [FUSE]—-> [RELAY] —> (DRL)

Idea 2 (top half is existing):
Code:
                     S1 (signal from parking light position on switch)
                      |
                      |
                      V
         [FUSE]--> [RELAY] —
           |                 |
[BATTERY] --                 | —> (DRL)
           |                 |
          [FUSE]—-> [RELAY] —
                       ^
                       |
                       |
                      S2 (ignition on signal, take from closest convenient tap)

I originally mentioned Idea 2 but I prefer Idea 1 as you aren't messing with a feed from the battery and having to consider any fire hazards from messing that up.
In Idea 1 you are essentially just adding a separate "turn on" signal to the input of the relay that turns those front DRL's on. However this assumes the same relay does not also turn on the rear lights, (if it does you're left with Idea 2). The diodes are necessary to stop the reverse flow of electricity from causing unforseen effects, for example, without the diodes if the parking lights were turned on electricity would flow from S1 to the relay, but also back towards S2 (wherever you tapped ignition on signal from) which means whatever you tapped would be receiving power from the parking light switch, not good.

I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to comment if either of these two ideas are sound or if there is a better way...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Unfortunately new cars don't work like that anymore, see picture. Essentially the light switch on the Gen3 Souls is a resistor that runs on a LIN bus to modules that turn on relays. Wiring anything into will wreak havoc on the whole system and none of your lights will work. LIN bus is a simple single line communication that is used in non essential things such as mirror controls, lights, wipers etc... while all essential modules with multiple sensors talk on either the high speed CAN bus or low speed CAN bus through binary data packets. We use oscilloscopes more than ever to diagnose communication problems.
You can however wire in an aux switch to turn them on from a separate relay if you would like.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have never heard of LIN bus, guess that’s what happens when the newest car I’ve ever pulled part and messed with was probably built 2005...
I knew the CAN bus probably wouldn’t be involved, but I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that everything is on a network bus these days to simplify wiring...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'll let you look it up rather than go into a long explanation. You will see it used for things like your radio controls in the steering wheel. The basic is that each button or function has a different resistor so when the signal voltage is pulled down that amount by the resistor it tells the module to behave that certain way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If I can add one other word of advice to the OP that is to run your grounds to body grounds and not the cable itself as the battery sensor can be "sensitive " and it sends signals on the LIN bus to the alternator control as these things don't charge unless it sees demand

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'll let you look it up rather than go into a long explanation. You will see it used for things like your radio controls in the steering wheel. The basic is that each button or function has a different resistor so when the signal voltage is pulled down that amount by the resistor it tells the module to behave that certain way.
Surprisingly simple then! Thanks for taking the time to let me/us know the details like that, it’s interesting stuff and useful to know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks for the information, seems i am missing a wire to the headlight, has an extra prong on the light the originals didnt have, so now my question is, what wire is missing , anyone reading this have the LED strips on their 3 gen soul??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can however wire in an aux switch to turn them on from a separate relay if you would like.
Question/curiosity, if i wire the aux switch, wondering if i can just wire aux to lets say an acc line and just have them come on when the car is on. i wonder if it will cause problems within the auto setting on the stalk, thats my only concern (albeit not a very important concern as i can use these hands of mine to turn the lights on at the stalk)

·
Registered
2021 Soul EX. Sparkling Silver. Black/Gray interior.
40 Posts
You could wire a set of relays like the diagrams attached. I've done this setup on other vehicles, but haven't tried it on my '21 EX yet. Was planning on adding halo LEDs to the foglight housings and running them as DRLs.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could wire a set of relays like the diagrams attached. I've done this setup on other vehicles, but haven't tried it on my '21 EX yet. Was planning on adding halo LEDs to the foglight housings and running them as DRLs.
I was planning the same thing with halos, but it has been a long while since i have even did any rigging of anything electrical. by long while i mean 2007 haha. but thank you for the diagram. going to have to get my old brain into check to try understand.

id also prefer to keep the auto setting set, but i think that maybe to much to ask for

1 - 16 of 16 Posts