Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2014 Base AT , but I wish I had a little more power and a back up camera.( I'm an old geezer and backing out of parking lots is sometimes difficult). I have been thinking about trading up to a + model to get the desired extras.

My question is what can I expect to lose by trading my 2014 Base with about 7K miles for a 2015 +? I know I can get more by selling privately, but, I really don't like dealing with a lot of people coming to the house etc.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Gramps it is best to go to an out of town dealer and letting them persuade you need an upgrade. If you go in enquiring they have the upper hand.
If you get an out of town offer in writing you can use this to get you favourite dealer to match or better then you know you have a good deal.
There have been some extremely good discounts on forum with 0% finance so could be a good time to upgrade.
The 2016 face lifts will be going into showrooms now if any 2015 without face lift should have good reductions .
Good Luck

Jeff

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Any car value, especially Kia's, drops like a rock. Financially, it wouldn't make any sense to get a new car only after a year. The dealer will also low ball you, but the upside is that you only have to pay tax on the difference. So if you sell your car for $10K and the new car costs $25K, you only pay tax on the $15K, which could be a difference of a thousand bucks. Of course you'd be paying off two cars now, whatever you still owe on your old car after the sale, plus the new car. I certainly wouldn't do it to gain 30 ponies, and a few extras. I'd rather spend $300-400 on a new stereo with back up camera and have your grandson help you install it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I did pretty much what you said gramps. I have two 2014 Soul base models. I traded for two 2015 plus models. I was not deep into my Souls so got pretty close to what my pay off was on both bases. I used some creative bonuses and incentives and maxxed out what Kia had for monies to buy a car with. Everything from Veteran status to wife of Vet, close out bonuses and dealer incentives. I was upside down 3500 dollars on each car and had 3200 of it covered. I then took a 500dollar down payment needed and decided not to pay it and they lowered the price of the car and added two spare tire kits and tires for the new cars. Apparently they wanted to sell the two 15 Pluses!

My cars now have the back up cams (yea I need em too. The Soul is not easy to see behind) they have the 2.0 GDI engines, Infinity 8 spkr stereos with large screen nav. Mine has the complete audio pkg including the silly mood lights and the piano styling on the interior which is nice. Hers is Yellow! and mine is Titanium grey which I like oh so much better than the Kale green I had. We plan on making these cars 8 year keepers if not more. The car ins even went down. Do what you want to do. Listen to everyone but do what makes you happy. I did!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for your advice, I am certainly considering all. Sheepdog, a $3500 difference to upgrade would push me towards a move. I'm thinking though that Kelley Blue book has my car @ only $11,400 on a trade which means I'd have to get the new + for $14900 (my trade plus $3500) which i don't see happening. Do you find a significant difference in power of the 2.0? Which dealership did you use since I am also kind of Central Floridaish?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thanks to all for your advice, I am certainly considering all. Sheepdog, a $3500 difference to upgrade would push me towards a move. I'm thinking though that Kelley Blue book has my car @ only $11,400 on a trade which means I'd have to get the new + for $14900 (my trade plus $3500) which i don't see happening. Do you find a significant difference in power of the 2.0? Which dealership did you use since I am also kind of Central Floridaish?

Yes The 2.0 engine is significantly smoother and more powerful than the 1.6. The 1.6 would just die if you put on the ECO button. The 2.0 doesnt mind at all it seems.

I had two dealers Deland Kia in Deland for my 2014's. But they didnt act so happy to see me on the 15's so I ended up at Orlando Kia. They have 3 locations and I used the North location in Longwood. Orlando Kia North. My General mgr Jim Kelly is a good guy. My salesmen are not on commission but salary so there is no silliness to buy a car. I had several of them help me. My salesman was the sales mgr Muhammed. he did what he needed to do to get me the cars and prices I needed. I am happy. I assume any of the dealer locations would be the same. The main location is bigger and probably has more cars for choice however. (colonial drive) If you buy a car give them my name and I get a bonus that I can use to buy a bug screen or sumpthin! (Private me for the name in private of course.) Im also happy to let you drive mine if you would like to see how it is without a company guy next to you. The Gulf coast should have plenty of good dealers tho. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,478 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did pretty much what you said gramps."..................Listen to everyone but do what makes you happy. I did!

That's exactly what I did, Sheepdog, I'm too old and have worked too hard to arrive at the stage of my life where I should deny myself some satisfaction. I brought my 2014 in and traded on a 2015 Plus.
You were absolutely correct, the 2.0 L engine is significantly more zippy than the 1.6 L. I managed a very satisfactory deal, and I'm really happy with the performance!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Congrats Gramps! I hope your Plus keeps you very happy. You already know you have a good car company. Now you have the engine and options you wanted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts