Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
First of all.....this was MUCH cheaper at SharkRacing (I'm still waiting for mine)

Watch THIS thread for anything "I" find out about this enclosure.....but I'm not gonna be doing a GPS system in mine. I'll be custom mounting a 7" (or whatever I can get in there) VGA touchscreen.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/showthread.php?t=2902

I know this is MUCH more a project than your inquiry, but to date, I seem to be the only other one talking about this enclosure.

They show actual opening measurements on SharkRacing of:

157mm (15.7cm) wide
96mm (9.6cm) tall

http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=satnav&cate=030700000

When this thing shows up, you'll see me at least fitting this thing to the dash at first (or I'll see you do YOURS first)...I won't be looking for a monitor until I see this thing up close. I want to get as big an LCD touchscreen in there as I can without doing something ridiculous to the housing.

I will go as far as carefully cutting out the opening if it means I can get the next "standard size" LCD panel in there. I'll also likely be painting SOME part of it to match the molten, currently just my caliper paint comes pretty close...but it'll match my custom painted KIWI either way. I'm EXTREMELY likely to do something about the cheesy looking front grill if that part actually shows.

I'm still not quite sure how this thing mounts until I see it. We will very likely lose the (useless to me) sunglass storage, but it might go as far as to require REMOVING that pocket from behind the trim as well (just a few phillips screws). I saw some pics of a Soul that actually had a "dish" in place of the center speaker, so now I'm REALLY curious how this mounts.

UPDATED:

Cool...just went to the KAI link. Nicer pics...and one "in situ" pic. I can see ONE thing I will have to pay attention to when looking for my VGA touchscreen. This enclosure is a "standard ratio" monitor, so 7" is gonna be different than the usual "7 inch widescreen" you see when looking at little VGA monitors. I'll have to pay closer attention to WxH measurements to keep me from "buying a bunch of monitors". The term "seven inch gps" sorta has me wondering....since most gps I see are "chunkier" than an LCD monitor, so I may end up with alot more or less flexibility with size. There MAY even be enough space to put some other gear behind the monitor within that enclosure (USB hubs, different card reader,etc)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually saw a motorized retractable monitor frame set for the Soul in the Swedish catalog. I'm thinking of trying to get one done custom. I have to check around for someone with experience or I can just watch a few episodes of "Pimp My Ride" and try to do it myself.

First of all.....this was MUCH cheaper at SharkRacing (I'm still waiting for mine)

Watch THIS thread for anything "I" find out about this enclosure.....but I'm not gonna be doing a GPS system in mine. I'll be custom mounting a 7" (or whatever I can get in there) VGA touchscreen.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/showthread.php?t=2902

I know this is MUCH more a project than your inquiry, but to date, I seem to be the only other one talking about this enclosure.

They show actual opening measurements on SharkRacing of:

157mm (15.7cm) wide
96mm (9.6cm) tall

http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=satnav&cate=030700000

When this thing shows up, you'll see me at least fitting this thing to the dash at first (or I'll see you do YOURS first)...I won't be looking for a monitor until I see this thing up close. I want to get as big an LCD touchscreen in there as I can without doing something ridiculous to the housing.

I will go as far as carefully cutting out the opening if it means I can get the next "standard size" LCD panel in there. I'll also likely be painting SOME part of it to match the molten, currently just my caliper paint comes pretty close...but it'll match my custom painted KIWI either way. I'm EXTREMELY likely to do something about the cheesy looking front grill if that part actually shows.

I'm still not quite sure how this thing mounts until I see it. We will very likely lose the (useless to me) sunglass storage, but it might go as far as to require REMOVING that pocket from behind the trim as well (just a few phillips screws). I saw some pics of a Soul that actually had a "dish" in place of the center speaker, so now I'm REALLY curious how this mounts.

UPDATED:

Cool...just went to the KAI link. Nicer pics...and one "in situ" pic. I can see ONE thing I will have to pay attention to when looking for my VGA touchscreen. This enclosure is a "standard ratio" monitor, so 7" is gonna be different than the usual "7 inch widescreen" you see when looking at little VGA monitors. I'll have to pay closer attention to WxH measurements to keep me from "buying a bunch of monitors". The term "seven inch gps" sorta has me wondering....since most gps I see are "chunkier" than an LCD monitor, so I may end up with alot more or less flexibility with size. There MAY even be enough space to put some other gear behind the monitor within that enclosure (USB hubs, different card reader,etc)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Korean connect

I've been emailing a new friend of mine at a warehouse in Korea. She sent me this pics of all 3 new dash frames.

There are three kinds of dash monitor Frame/Bracket kit,

Please refer to the attached photo!
The prices are as below,
A : 113.0SUD
B : 89.0USD
C : 158.0USD
(NOT INCLUDED SHIPPING CHARGE)

What do you guys think would be the best choice?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm digging the third one personally... doesn't seem to interfere with the center channel speaker..

·
Registered
30 Posts
The third one definitely looks awesome but it looks to be a slightly different color than the rest of the dash. I'd love to see more pictures of this if possible.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The third one means you have to remove and remount the hazard light control down to by the Ipod, cigarette lighter area.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm now glad I got the regular one from Shark. It doesn't have to come off if I'm just doing something with the head unit. I also already have plans for the little iPod/USB area (Likely an AC outlet and switch/LED with an inverter hidden inside).

I JUST now (like a half hour ago) received this unit from Shark. I'll post some pics later in the Carputer thread I've got going in the ICE category.

My first thoughts and findings (I'm at work still):

My hamsters on the dash WILL have to be evicted, at least during this project.

I do NOT like the cheesy grill, but that can be EASILY fixed to either be an actual grill from a junk 5"~6" grill, or just covered with a nice little black piece of speaker box carpet. Of course I could always just stick one of my hamsters on top of it after painting it red or something (I just don't like the cheesy plastic round swirly thing with the holes drilled into it)

Appears this does require you to completely take the (useless) sunglass pocket off the front trim via the little phillips screws (will post pics of that process in the other thread as well). The Hazard switch stays.

There is a little flat surface (more horizontal than I thought from the pics)...that will except LEDs, pushbuttons or whatever you may want to install for a carputer project (LEDs this close to the screen might be annoying though).

I'm not feeling too much love for the little openings on top for SD and USB port....I like the idea, but cringe at the thought of these being in direct sunlight, and a USB thumb drive sticking up in the center of the dash. I do like the little included USB extension though that fits in there. That little cable will likely see some action in the carputer project anyway. The little SD extension item would be a SHAME not to utilize SOMEWHERE. It's the sort of thing you couldn't find if you wanted one. I'll probably end up covering those two top openings as well somehow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some questions for the more experienced folks here. I'm looking for something to house a portable GPS device that would look more built-in than my current vent clip mount and deter thieves looking for a car to smash & grab.

First Question: Would all 3 require the removal of the semi-circular trim piece surrounding the main dash controls in order to remove the sunglasses cubby? I'm not a fan of the "swirly thing" on the 1st one and the 3rd one looks way too daunting, but the 2nd one might work. The dimensions look like they would accommodate my Garmin Nuvi as well.

Second Question: If I go with one of these mounts, is there an easy way to hardwire power to the GPS device without a lot of trim removal? Maybe tap into one of the 12v plugs next to the iPod connector?

I'm a total novice at this stuff, so I appreciate any & all feedback you can provide :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'd be happier if the 7" DVD/GPS actually had pictures of it in the Soul..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put that Korean page into babelfish and this is the caption for the top pic.

"CELOT [sso] center lung hour which will cry (SOUL) Oh reclamation close re-
Class the be line the [sso] which is this possibility which will dance re-is whole aspect four to be empty [syen] reclamation close will cry"

I love machine translations.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Just by doing a google search. Don't know anything about these guys or their reputation. Can anyone else read/speak Korean?

http://www.makeupcar.com/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1253085841
Well, it would depend what you searched for, I go to the Korean tuning sites all the time. It is a shame companies that import parts from Korea, like Shark Racing and such, never put up ALL that is available. The scene would be so much more fun here.

Makeupcar is a good site, and I have a few other Celot items I picked up in Korea. Anyways, none of this helps us to get these here.

Yet.

Someone want to make a request to Shark Racing?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts