Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,984 Posts
Motor vehicle Paint Font Gas Automotive exterior

E85 is also high octane, it is slightly diluted with 15% gasoline and registers at 105 octane or more. It is not however the same as E15 (85% gasoline). E85 is not recommended by Kia and those of us under warranty should take that into consideration. Kia did sell a Flex fuel Soul in Brazil that used E85 Flex fuel.

The Kia owners manual says: E85 is not compatible with your vehicle. Use of E85 may result in poor engine performance and damage to your vehicles engine and fuel system.

NOTICE: Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage to the fuel system or any performance problems caused by the use of E85 fuel.

Fuel explained

• Wow
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
I'm wondering if that's TRue or just CYA BS by KIA. My 2012 Soul ran like a Top on that stuff.
That's because it's 105 octane. It's like giving your car a shot of meth. Party now, pay later.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
Our Soul runs great on (Top-Tier) Shell Regular 87 octane.
Trip777
That's what I use too. It's E10 here. My Soul is a lightweight & only likes 10% corn hooch. 🌽

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
  • Wow

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I was wrong earlier in this thread or another thread about E15.

My 2011 owners manual says not to use gas with ethanol content over 10%, and that’s what I posted.

But my 2019 owners manual (from the Kia website) says not to use gas with ethanol content over 15%.

So I guess it’s ok for the newer Souls to use E15 or “unleaded 88”.

Product Font Line Screenshot Material property

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
I was wrong earlier in this thread or another thread about E15.

My 2011 owners manual says not to use gas with ethanol content over 10%, and that’s what I posted.

But my 2019 owners manual (from the Kia website) says not to use gas with ethanol content over 15%.

So I guess it’s ok for the newer Souls to use E15 or “unleaded 88”.
You're right, they updated new models (or at least the owners manual) to say 15%.

It got me wondering about my 2014, which says do not use greater than 10% ethanol. BUT, it doesn't say it will ruin the engine (like it does with E85), it just says the MPG and power may be affected. I can't find anywhere it says using E15 would VOID the warranty.

Hmm...... :unsure:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You're right, they updated new models (or at least the owners manual) to say 15%.

It got me wondering about my 2014, which says do not use greater than 10% ethanol. BUT, it doesn't say it will ruin the engine (like it does with E85), it just says the MPG and power may be affected. I can't find anywhere it says using E15 would VOID the warranty.

Hmm...... :unsure:
That’s interesting your 2014 1.6L and my 2019 1.6L say different things. I thought they were the same engine. Maybe they’re a little different, or like you said, maybe they just updated the owners manual. I used the online one at the Kia website for the above image, but I’ll take a look at what the actual owners manual says the next time I go out to the car.

Edit—-checked my 2019 manual and it’s also 15%.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
How to test ethanol content in your tank & other Scotty tidbits.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
This carbon neutral gas sounds interesting. I wonder if this could throw a wrench into the EV evolution?

The firm claims that it can produce a carbon-neutral fuel that'll also clean the air around us. It sounds like a magic cure-all for personal vehicle emissions, but the technology is solid...

Carbon-Neutral Gas Is Coming That Cleans Our Air

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was in for my 15K stuff (heading out on a road trip, no time to tale it anywhere else or do it myself) and the service manager told me not to use gasoline from Albertson's, Fred Meyer, etc because they do add cleaners or detergents to their fuel and that will clog the fuel injectors faster. He also told me to fill up with a high octane from time to time as that will also help keep the injectors clean.

I automatically tend think anything the dealer tells me is poo-poo. So I am asking all you gear heads to tell me if this is indeed a pile of poo on toast or a truth. And what about the injector cleaner additives? Are they worth it to use?

I do track my mileage with every fill-up and I am getting about 28 MPG in town with the A/C running and 30 -31 on the hwy. More with a tail wind :) (I got 34 sailing across South Dakota with a tail wind!)
Stick to 91 from either Costco or a Premium rated gas station. Don't ever put 87 in your car, especially now.
They are now allowed to put up to 15 percent Ethan dillution in fuel. What that means is that now 91 octane is like 87 . And that means 87 is like 82 octane. Awful. I oy use 87 octane gas to clean my lawnmower blades, chainsaws and hedge trimmers externally .
Stick to 91.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Considering this is in the GEN I forum I will comment that my 11' really doesn't care what fuel is being used. It runs about the same and I get 26-30 mpg depending on how hard I am driving it.

On the other hand my 2020 runs well on mid and low octane fine but on premium I get 3-4 mpg more. I don't necessarily think it is the fuel but the lack of ethanol in the top grade gas at my local Shell. On highway I can get 36-37 mpg @75 mph and mid 40's if I keep it under 50 mph. (we have very few hills)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I suspect it’s the lack of ethanol that makes the difference. Ethanol has only 30% of the energy of gasoline and that’s enough to make a difference in your mileage. I understand that when the mileage is figured out for the EPA that a special, specific blend of gasoline is used that is not commercially available and does not contain any ethanol.
what does that tell you about the EPA ratings.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts