Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I know a lot of people say to use the lowest octane fuel for these cars because they are not boosted and whatnot. That's fine and dandy, but I found that I had a problem with detonation with the lowest octane, that's why I stick with the midgrade. Who knows, maybe it's the cheap gas I buy.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I know a lot of people say to use the lowest octane fuel for these cars because they are not boosted and whatnot. That's fine and dandy, but I found that I had a problem with detonation with the lowest octane, that's why I stick with the midgrade. Who knows, maybe it's the cheap gas I buy.
Then you need to change the brand of gas you use...

or if it's still having problems with detonation after changing brands then you need to take it in to your dealership to have checked out. The book says 87 octane is the preferred gas so your car should run fine on that octane.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Top tier gas has detergents that clean your injectors, gas tank, etc.
Low tier gas like 7-11, Arco, Safeway, Fred Meyer, etc do NOT add any detergents. Like Arco's slogan states: "It's just gas."

Using Injector cleaner isn't needed when you use top tier gas.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Personal experience here with Hyundai and Kia engines, and over 500,000 miles on them..

Use whatever gas brand you want, just stay at the LOWEST GRADE OF GAS.

They run crappy on higher grades and you won't see anything extra out of them. Anyone thta says you will and is not boosted is lying.

Then run a bottle of injector cleaner every 6 to 10 tanks.

It's funny, I see the same truck leave one gas station, and go to the next one down the road to fill up too. Different brands, same gas.

And I understand where your coming from in NM too for sure. 87 and 89 in NM are not the the same I will tell you as the 87 and 89 we got here in SC. Heck I know you got 86 there too and rarely see that here if at all. And I agree about the BUTT DYNO. Mine on the BUTT DYNO runs smoother and has more power and quieter yes. But my other wieghted factor is the BUTTHEAD one. And on that we disagree as MY 2004 3.5L gets @16mpg or less on 87. And it gets 18-19 on 89. So that 2-3MPG differnece plus the cost of 13.5cents per gal or $2.34-2.47 more a tank to get that result is what I call the BUTTHEAD factor. So if the shoe fit. Yesterday ECON 87 was @$2.394 gal and REG 89 was @$2.529 a gal here. I went 367 and put in 19.771 gals and paid $50.00. At $2.394 that would have been $47.33 or a savings of $2.67! If I was not getting 16mpg to blow that to hell. As I would be THEN in thoery only going 307.5 miles on that tank of 19.771 gals NOT 367! And that my friend is the BUTTHEAD factor. Or sitting on the side of the road out of gas at 320 and not very safely in a station at 367 filling up a 21.5gal tank perfectly happy doing so. ;)

The SOUL only has right now 1256 miles on it. So we are not fully sure of its habits yet to judge it. But it has been getting [email protected] to a tank so far and +-10-11gal fill ups on teh 12.7 gal tank. As far as I know.

·
Registered
518 Posts
What'd I say in post #2?

"There seem to be about as many opinions on gasolines (and lubricating and cooling fluids) oils as there are gearheads."!!

If there's a calculable MPG difference, the math is easy: fewer gallons at higher cost, vs. more gallons at lower cost.

What can't be calculated or known without fairly precise timing, conditions, and equipment is the performance difference. Butt-dyno or REALLY sensitive ears can sometimes pick up a hint of detination before the computer retards the timing, but it's rare. Reading the computer output directly would tell you if the timing is being retarded (and performance lost) using a lower grade gas - if you could read the computer.

"You could warn them... if you spoke Hovitos..."

What also can't be known is the longevity difference - if in fact it's a "material" difference (if the engine run consistently on 87 octane lasts 225000 miles, and the one run on 91 octane lasts 300000, at that point, who is going to care? Both will have long outlived their design life.)

Discuss... :)

·
Banned
196 Posts
What'd I say in post #2?

"There seem to be about as many opinions on gasolines (and lubricating and cooling fluids) oils as there are gearheads."!!

If there's a calculable MPG difference, the math is easy: fewer gallons at higher cost, vs. more gallons at lower cost.

What can't be calculated or known without fairly precise timing, conditions, and equipment is the performance difference. Butt-dyno or REALLY sensitive ears can sometimes pick up a hint of detination before the computer retards the timing, but it's rare. Reading the computer output directly would tell you if the timing is being retarded (and performance lost) using a lower grade gas - if you could read the computer.

"You could warn them... if you spoke Hovitos..."

What also can't be known is the longevity difference - if in fact it's a "material" difference (if the engine run consistently on 87 octane lasts 225000 miles, and the one run on 91 octane lasts 300000, at that point, who is going to care? Both will have long outlived their design life.)

Discuss... :)
Oh I can not agree more with you DixsonL2 for sure. And for teh record I said not to use 87 and use 89 not 91. But where you forget to think is when that same 300,000 eng is running at 125,000 perfectly little done to it outside oil/fuel/plugs (120,000 new) and passes right thru every year the CALI CARB inspections. And the 225,000 eng at 125,000 is half way thru its second set of plugs (80,000) not the ones it just got (120,000). And has a miss or stumble and is down in MPG/power slightly (will not pull the boat like it used to) and might not be passing the CALI CARB inspec with out tweeks maybe alot now for the last two years or so. That is WHEN you WILL CARE. Yes not at 225,000 or 300,000 for sure. ;)

P.S. you will really care when that 225,000 mile eng needs a new $700 cat at 125,000 maybe but the 300,000 one at 125,000 is fine and goes till 200,000 before you had to replace it maybe. even worse if the monkey doing the cat breaks the damn rusted but fine if LEFT ALONE! exhaust and you end up in the $1000 end of the pool at 125,000 and not at 200,000. ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
There is a guy that comes to our local dealership who owns a 2004.5 Spectra. The thing has the Beta II 2.0L engine and 638,000 miles - all of them highway miles. It just got a new timing belt (timing belt #8). It was a trade-in, and when the dealership got it, they did some things to the engine (honed cylinders, valve grind, replace bad sensors, etc) and overhauled the transmission. They re-sold it and broke even. Next time I see it, I'm getting pictures. According to the previous owner, he only put in premium gas and changed everything at proper intervals. I would not doubt if it makes it to a million miles, as the engine is still mechanically sound. Just inefficient and underpowered by today's standards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Top Tier gas

My dealer held a forum for people who bought Kia's and he talked about "top tier gas". He said you may pay a few more cents per gallon but in the long run there will be less deposits in the engine and he claimed better gas mileage. He also said not to buy the upper grades of gas just stick with the lowest grade. He handed out a sheet which may have come from the web page posted below. After the page opens click on "retailer's" for the list of stations.
http://www.toptiergas.com/

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I certainly did open a can of worms! *L*

I have changed over the top tier gasoline and I am on the fifth tank. I have not added any other cleaners at this point.

My mileage improved somewhat around town at first and now is much better. I have now driven from Southern Oregon to Northern Washington. The mileage in Oregon was only slightly improved, but it is all up and down steep grades. As I hit the flatter parts (smaller grades and a few flat valley areas), I am getting quite a bit better mileage.

I have not gone to 89 and am staying at 87. Performance wise things are a little better. No huge leaps though. I didn't expect any real changes in performance since I did not up the octane.

I have seen a total of 4 Souls my entire trip. And I have been the only Alien!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,984 Posts
Just ran a Tank of E85 through My 2012 Kia Soul 2.0 L was the absolute smoothest ride I have ever gotten out of it.
I doubt it was E85. That is Flex Fuel designed for specific engines.

You may be thinking E15.

·
Registered
2012 Soul ! 2019 Optima
51 Posts
The Kia manual says "Do not use gasohol containing more than 10% ethanol, and do not use gasoline or gasohol containing any methanol. Either of these fuels may cause drivability problems and damage to the fuel system. "

Flex85 is up to 85% Ethanol and only 15 % gasoline.
E85 is 85% gasoline and 15% ethanol.

I am not willing to risk any of my vehicles with it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Nah, its not Kia BS. See Engineering Explained on YouTube. Other manufacturers say not to use E85 or any E raising higher than E10. It can create havoc with engine knocking at anything below 6000 feet or so.

·
Registered
2012 Soul ! 2019 Optima
51 Posts
All gas powered auto engines were requires to be able to run 15% ethanol since 2001. My Honda and Kia manuals both say not to use anything above 10%.
I wonder if the engines are designed for it but not the rest of the fuel delivery system.
Will the problems raise their head a few years down the road ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I forgot to mention That there was a sign on the e85 handle. it said all cars were required to be able to use E85 as of 2001. If I go there again I will try and get a picture of it. I have to ask why is this so effed up and complicated. It reminds of Lindbergh during WW2 in the South Pacific. You can go look that up.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts