Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in for my 15K stuff (heading out on a road trip, no time to tale it anywhere else or do it myself) and the service manager told me not to use gasoline from Albertson's, Fred Meyer, etc because they do add cleaners or detergents to their fuel and that will clog the fuel injectors faster. He also told me to fill up with a high octane from time to time as that will also help keep the injectors clean.

I automatically tend think anything the dealer tells me is poo-poo. So I am asking all you gear heads to tell me if this is indeed a pile of poo on toast or a truth. And what about the injector cleaner additives? Are they worth it to use?

I do track my mileage with every fill-up and I am getting about 28 MPG in town with the A/C running and 30 -31 on the hwy. More with a tail wind :) (I got 34 sailing across South Dakota with a tail wind!)

· Registered
518 Posts
Based on my experience on other car forums, put your flame suit on! There seem to be about as many opinions on gasolines (and lubricating and cooling fluids) oils as there are gearheads.

My take on it:
- Stick with the good name brands (Sunoco, Shell, BP, etc.), avoid the rest.
- In summer, use midgrade or premium from time to time, not because the additives are any different (in name brand fuels they likely aren't) but because the additional octane helps prevent detonation and you get more power (power is good). Yes, modern knock-sensing ignitions do sense knock and retard the spark to compensate, but they need to (ahem) sense knock actually happening first. Better not to have knock and just run better.
- When you can, avoid gasohol or gasolines with ethanol added. Ethanol has a lower energy density than gasoline and can sap power. It also can degrade hoses and gaskets faster than regular gasoline. From an energy cost perspective, at least in North America, ethanol also takes about as much fossil-based energy to produce as the energy it gives back to the vehicle, making it pretty much a non-"green" fuel anyway. Sometimes this can't be avoided, just do it when you can.
- Every so often, run a bottle of fuel cleaner through the motor. I use good the Castrol stuff, can't recall the name, but it was recommended somewhere reputable that I also can't recall...
- Stay away from el-cheapo octane boosters (any octane boosters, as a matter of fact). Your gas tank isn't a chem lab. (note: I know this doesn't apparently jibe with my use of Castrol additives, let's leave that alone, shall we?)

All for now...

· Registered
2,346 Posts
^^ easier said than done - did a search online soon after buying car and it showed one ethanol free station in the entire state that was like 2 hours away lol....

back from looking through bookmarks and can't find original map but here is another one that might help some of you lucky ones >>> pure gas map for us and canada http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov

· Registered
513 Posts
The ethanol is hard to avoid where I live. The only gas additive I'll use is Lucas oil gas treatment or Gumout(gold bottle). I use it every 3rd to 4th tank or when ever I feel the performance drop after a fillup. Upgrading to 89 octane is not a bad idea from time to time because you can tell the difference in how smoothly your engine performs under a load. One other thing to consider about gas additives, they help to remove some of the water from your tank. Which is really helpful in the winter time.

· Registered
1,542 Posts
Well to answer your question Alien, it doesn't make much sense that cleaners and detergents would clog your injectors..... because they are cleaners and detergents.

Secondly, using higher octane from time to time to give your engine a "treat" does nothing, it just prevents knocking and pre-detonation. I always use midgrade in my soul to prevent detonation. That's all higher octane does, prevent detonation.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Personal experience here with Hyundai and Kia engines, and over 500,000 miles on them..

Use whatever gas brand you want, just stay at the LOWEST GRADE OF GAS.

They run crappy on higher grades and you won't see anything extra out of them. Anyone thta says you will and is not boosted is lying.

Then run a bottle of injector cleaner every 6 to 10 tanks.

It's funny, I see the same truck leave one gas station, and go to the next one down the road to fill up too. Different brands, same gas.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
high octane gas for the kia soul does nothing. it would do something if the soul had a turbo model but they don't. high octane was made for turbo engines only because they need the extra octane for the turbo part of it.

low octane gas burns faster than high octane gas. that's why turbo engines need high octane gas so it burns more evenly and predictably so it won't mess up the engine at high RPM's.

stick with 87 octane.

as for fuel cleaners.. follow the directions on the bottle you buy. you also pay for what you get. so if you see a fuel system cleaner for $1.99 and one for $9.99.. well there's a reason the $1.99 is priced like that.

· Registered
518 Posts
High octane gas prevents premature, umm, "detonation". It is ceratinly more necessary in a forced induction engine as the compressed intake charge in effect raises the compression ratio higher, but is a better fuel for any higher compression engine. The knock sensor will indeed compensate for the lower octane fuel, by "listening" for the premature detonation and retarting timing to compensate. This saps power. Not a lot, but it does. It is more sensitive than most human ears, so you won't hear the ignition timing change, but it will, especially on hot days or at higher altitudes. In most cases this isn't at all an issue and the engine will "run fine" for a long time. It will simply "run better" on higher octane fuel.

It all depends on what we consider "performance". If we're running a grocery getter / fun car and want it to last a long time, high quality regular or midgrade fuel will do fine.

In reality, we're talking shades of grey. The Soul isn't an ultimate performance vehicle. The difference in power might equate to 0.25 second in a 0-60 run and maybe one MPG (using my professionally calibrated butt-dynamometer)... If you're using "good" fuel, the octane difference also has little-to-no discernable effect on longevity, or at least nowhere near the effect of things like keeping the oil changed and the filters fresh. This is no big deal for most folks, and likely not worth the cost of premium. Premium will, however, give a little more giddyap, and many fuel companies are marketing higher detergent levels in their premium fuels.

As for the "same truck" filling up separate gas stations, those trucks are, indeed, compartmentalized inside. It's the same truck, but each gas brand does have (at least is supposed to have) their own proprietary additive package in the gas.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
I push my Soul, like the rest of my cars, VERY hard.

I don't get any detonation.

As for fuel injector cleaner, what's everyone using?

I use either B12 Chemtool, or the bulk Chevron stuff they sell at Costco, I can't remember the name.

I haven't used B12 in some time as I happen to be a heavy Costco addict.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well to answer your question Alien, it doesn't make much sense that cleaners and detergents would clog your injectors..... because they are cleaners and detergents.
Sorry I meant does NOT add cleaners or detergents. I did proof read it but apparently not well enough.

And I shall say 'poo' I choose to. Even if I am a tad over 5. :)

Thank you for your answers and opinions. It did actually help make it make some sense. I did happen to fill up at a Texaco and find that I am getting much better mileage than on the el cheapo gas. Same octane rating, different brand. I think I will track my mileage on brand name gas ans see what happens.

· Registered
104 Posts
I use Chemtool or Seafoam. I use it in both my cars and the Busa...
Also, I ONLY run 87 in the Busa as well as the Soul and Prius (wifes)
:cool: (...the Busa has a much higher performance engine than the Soul... That was an aside by the way.) :rolleyes:

· Banned
196 Posts
It has always been my experience that read the manual. Find out what they say to use (big diff in MIN REQ and REC) then use it for a few weeks to get a base for MPG/Behaviour of vech on it. Giving time for the Computor to adjust things to optimum for that grade. Then go to teh next higher grade adn do teh same giving it time to adjust if at all for it. Once you see how it runs on both then decide. I have had vech that could run on 87 ok and nothing changed they ran crappy on 89 too. I have had vechs that could run on 87 and putting in 89 woke them up and they ran well. Both in MPG and power output and smoother. I have had vech that had to have and was told to use prem 91-93 and I did and they ran well. Put in 89 on a emergency and they ran like crap. So here is waht I have now.

2003 Spectra LS 1.8L (jsut got rid of it) ran on 87 and told to use it, but put 89 in and it ran better all around. But would run on 87. Was not my daily driver so I did not care what he did. Break it you fix it. I drive it, it got 89 other times it got god knows what in it. Thou I was told he was trying to put 89 in as much as possible.

2004 Sorento LX 3.5L my daily driver runs best (power-quiet-smooth and MPG) on 89 but can put in 87 and told to do so. I do not. 91-93 does absolutly nothing for it.

2010 Soul+ 2.0L came with full tank of 87 and told to use that at 246 miles. Ran ok. After tank was empty told person driving it as their daily drive to put in 89 now. And last nite with 986 miles on it I ran NICE! and I flogged the hell out of it and it loved it. And it wanted more. Very pleased with this. And t not something i was not expecting infact.

So do what you like folks. And one word now on things. My Sorento has a 21.4 gal tank in it. And the avg fill is 18-19 gals. So that is $2.34-2.47 per tank! more if I use 89 and not 87. And the SOUL has a 12.7 tank and I have been told that he is putting in most times 10 gals when the light comes on to fill it before the pump kicks off on him. So that is $1.35 a tank! more 87 to 89. HOW CHEAP DO YOU REALLY WISH TO BE? $1.35? Buy a Dunkin Dounuts 32oz SEVEN ELEVEN 32oz Coffee once a week and not a GRANDE cup of STARBUCKS for god sake!

· Registered
1,238 Posts
I gotta disagree, my 2004 Sorento LX with 100K miles on it gets better mileage, and smoother driving with the 86 or 87 octane we put in.

It all comes down to the butt dyno, and we all have ours calibrated differently. I'm personally not going to pay an extra 10 cents a gallon for an extra octane point. 110 miles a day in my Soul, the low grade is working great. 116K miles in my Tiburon, same same.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts