Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading that a lot of people have gone to Kia dealers and gotten the Cash for Clunkers from their old car and gotten a new Kia. Now I know that it has to have a combined total of 18 or less for the mpg but has anyone's vehicle gotten maybe a 19 for the combined total and were still eligible? I checked my combined mpg and I got a 19 for the car I currently have so I wanna know if some dealers make an exception for it being one up from what is the requirement before I in two weeks so I won't have to waste my time or the dealers. Thank you!

·
Registered
278 Posts
look on fueleconomy.gov its there combined EPA average... it has to be there rating every car has this rating on that site its the number in RED

There are no exceptions, its not the dealer its the governments rules

·
Banned
288 Posts
So far, there are NO exceptions to this rule. The only way it can be changed is by an act of Congress... Literally.

This is one of the biggest complaints with the program, that it's not very flexible and that the 18 mpg cap is too low.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My car isn't listed. Model, yes, but year no. I guess they'd just use the model closest in year and configuration, but it annoys me that there's that hole in the data. I can't even add mine as a registered user because it doesn't show in the model options.

Doesn't really matter though, as the original sticker shows it as 24 combined and I consistently get 30+. I agree that the 18 cap is way too low. It should be more along the lines of "trade for something that gets XXmpg more than what you are driving now" without the 18 base. The current arrangement covers mostly people with big expensive cars who don't need the $3500-$4500 help, or people too poor to buy anything better than what they have. I don't think there are too many cars out there with official ratings as low as 18 - the published list of qualifying vehicles was mostly SUV's, trucks and vans.

·
Registered
278 Posts
what model and year is it?

I'll see what i can find

The stick would be incorrect the EPA has a new calculation method now.. it would be lower

·
Registered
445 Posts
what model and year is it?

I'll see what i can find

The stick would be incorrect the EPA has a new calculation method now.. it would be lower
1995 Geo Tracker 4WD 5sp. The adjusted MPG's for '94 and '96 were still 24 so it didn't change much. I really love this car and if it weren't for the rust I wouldn't even be looking at replacing it. But when the quarter panels are gone, the frame has holes and the doors have rusted from the inside out, it's time to cut your losses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts