Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll check on that at a locksmith. I don't have push-button start. You have to insert and turn the key Now, getting into the car if it was locked would involve removing the keyhole cover on the driver's door, but everything should work from there.

What I want is an emergency key I can hide somewhere on the exterior of the car, in case I'm locked out with no key. I'll want to start the car and drive away from any situation where my key is stolen or lost. The type of key is the wiggle-routed path on the sides of the key. So, a key that matches should work to start the car and open the door, after removing that cover over the keyhole.
There is a Keyless Start Button if that is what you are looking for
I have recently purchased a Kia Soul 2020 LX and I purchased the keyless start entry so I can get in the car with out a key

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There is a Keyless Start Button if that is what you are looking for
I have recently purchased a Kia Soul 2020 LX and I purchased the keyless start entry so I can get in the car with out a key
No. I'm looking for a plain key with no fob at all that I can use as an emergency key or a valet key. Just a manual key. You have to stick the key in the ignition anyhow, and the fob only controls the door locking, so I'm assuming a plain key would work to start and drive the car. I just want one or two that I can keep in case I lose the fob somehow, somewhere.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,150 Posts
No. I'm looking for a plain key with no fob at all that I can use as an emergency key or a valet key. Just a manual key. You have to stick the key in the ignition anyhow, and the fob only controls the door locking, so I'm assuming a plain key would work to start and drive the car. I just want one or two that I can keep in case I lose the fob somehow, somewhere.
you should be okay as you don't have the immobilizer feature on the LX model. (not Canadian models as we have immobilizers standard so a plain key will only allow us to open the door, not start the vehicle)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
you should be okay as you don't have the immobilizer feature on the LX model. (not Canadian models as we have immobilizers standard so a plain key will only allow us to open the door, not start the vehicle)
No immobilizer on mine. I'll have to see if I can find a place that can cut that key for me. The blank from the 2019 might work. It has a similar central groove for the wobbly contour that needs to be cut.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’d already asked my locksmith about making a “wallet key” just for opening the door in case I locked the key inside. He said the 2020 gen 3 blanks weren’t out yet but he had made a key from a 2019 blank for another customer and had gotten it to work. Said it was iffy and couldn’t guarantee it. I chose to wait until the correct blanks come in. Also, he quoted me $40 which seemed a bit crazy. That was last week. I’m gonna shop around.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A line in the RJD song goes,
"Don't hide in doorways, you might find a key, that opens up your soul."
Also, "Don't talk to strangers, cuz they're only there to do you harm."

So, check those doorways but be careful who you talk to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No immobilizer on mine. I'll have to see if I can find a place that can cut that key for me. The blank from the 2019 might work. It has a similar central groove for the wobbly contour that needs to be cut.
Were you able to find/make a regular ie dumb key for your Kia? I have a LX model which is pretty much the same as yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I just got off the phone with my local Kia dealer. Apparently you can have only TWO keys/remotes programmed to the car (in my case a 2020 soul s.) That sucks. He also said that there's no "dumb/wallet" key available.

Pretty stupid on Kia's part.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The standard key for the Soul LX, is just a plain old metal key, NO chips and no magic.
Just that weird, wiggly cut. ;)
Outwardly, it looks just like the key in the keyfob for my 2013 Soul.
I took that keyfob to my local Locksmith and they made me a flat key that I could keep in my wallet.
It took them only a few minutes, and they charged me only a few dollars.
Somewhere I had a pic of that key, and the invoice from the Locksmith, but like several other old pics, I can't find them. Sorry bout dat!

Cheers mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like the EX trim gets the smart key fob. That doesn't work on my LX.
My 2020 Soul EX rear hatch will not lock if either of our smart keys are nearby. The hatch will lock if our keys are 20 to 25 feet away. Therefore, sitting at a traffic light, with key in pocket, the hatch can be opened by anyone. Possibly our smart keys are emitting hatch unlatch signals when in range. Is there a fix for this?

I see nothing in settings, or manuals, and no obvious switch to get the hatch to lock when key near.

Looks like the EX trim gets the smart key fob. That doesn't work on my LX.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My 2020 Soul EX rear hatch will not lock if either of our smart keys are nearby. The hatch will lock if our keys are 20 to 25 feet away. Therefore, sitting at a traffic light, with key in pocket, the hatch can be opened by anyone. Possibly our smart keys are emitting hatch unlatch signals when in range. Is there a fix for this?

I see nothing in settings, or manuals, and no obvious switch to get the hatch to lock when key near.
Is this true? On my old 2016 Plus the locks automatically lock soon after the vehicle is put in gear. I would think that this would still be true on the 2020 models. If it does automatically locks I would imagine that even when you are at a traffic light, the doors and back hatch will remain locked.

Have you tried to have a family member/friend/neighbor try to open the rear hatch while the vehicle is running and in gear (or "D") after the locks have automatically engaged?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Were you able to find/make a regular ie dumb key for your Kia? I have a LX model which is pretty much the same as yours.
So far I haven't tried. I don't really need one, but am still curious about having one available. The problem is that if the driver's door gets locked, you'd have to remove that handle cap to use the key, and I don't want anyone but me to try that, frankly.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Do you mean the general "anyone" or someone specifically?
I tried it, it worked, and I documented it, with pictures, on this very forum. Remember?

:cool:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Shortly after I bought my '16 Soul Plus I bought a "wallet key" from a locksmith on eBay. I provided the key code (your dealer/parts desk should be able to provide you with the key code--they have it on the computer by VIN) to the locksmith as well as a photo of the flip key (to verify cut pattern) and received a non-fobbed key that can be used to start the car. The '16 Soul plus has a non-transponder key, not sure about the 2020 LXes. Also not sure how big a deal it is to remove the handle cap to reveal the lock.

According to the ILCO key reference you need an ILCO key blank number KK12-P.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts