Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have a 2020 EX with just over 12000 miles on it.

70% of my driving has been long highway trips (500 miles each way) to care for an elderly family member with some health issues.

The owner's manual gives two service schedules - normal and severe. Normal specifies a 7500 mile oil and filter change interval. Severe specifies a 3750 mile oil and filter change interval.

I've been following the onboard maintenance reminder thus far, have had 2 services in 12000 miles and just realized that the maintenance computer and the little dealer-placed stickers in the corner of the windshield have been specifying a 5000 mile oil and filter change interval.

My question is this - is my dealer deceptive and dishonest?

I bought the vehicle at the dealership where I've had it serviced. Is it possible that the dealership has programmed the maintenance computer to specify an interval more frequent than Kia requires/recommends in an effort to squeeze just a little more service money out of me each year (i.e., 3 services rather than 2 per year at my driving rate)?

If so, how hard is it for me to reset the service reminder to a 7500 mile interval (i.e., to remind me at 6500 miles that a 7500 mile service is approaching rather every 4000 miles that a 5000 mile service is approaching)?

If this is the dealership's doing, they've lost my business. I'll do all the minor services myself and the major services at a different dealer while the warranty is in effect.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You're for sure not severe at 500 miles each way but the other 30% is what??? maybe your 30% is severe and changing the service to 5000 miles is splitting the difference. I'm going with 5000 because I'm right in the middle of normal and severe.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can set it to whatever mileage you want via the menus in the dash gauges. I set mine to 7,000
The dealer put a 5,000 mile reminder in the corner of the windshield which I simply ignore.
Thanks. Yeah I found the setting and figured out how to set it to the correct 7500 mile interval. Seems like the dealers are less than honest in fishing for an extra $80 a year in service by setting the new cars on their lots to a 5000 mile interval. Pretty cheesy, really. I wonder if Kia has encouraged this as a way to keep the dealers a little happier.

To the other poster asking about my other 30% driving, first off 70% long distance (not stop and go or gridlock) interstate mileage is unusual for anyone - the extreme end of "normal" if not "sub-normal" duty cycle. My other 30% is ordinary suburban driving. Grocery store trips, visits to friends in neighboring towns, surface street commute to work (2 miles), etc. And the maintenance computer is a "dumb" computer. Unlike some fancier cars, this unit only tracks the mileage interval and/or time interval you set for it. It doesn't monitor oil quality, air filter flow or anything else, By setting the interval to 5000 miles on their lots, dealers are effectively stealing from the unwary.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There was another thread on the topic, but a lot of people seem to think they may fall into the extreme use category and thus need to do pip changes every 3,750 per the manual.
The reality is, unless they are driving the car like they stole it, tow, or drive exclusively in heavy city traffic making sub 10 minute drives they don’t.
Frankly 7,000 miles is still a short interval to my mind, most modern cars sold in Europe have 10 or 12k intervals at minimum with some on 20k. Of course they do use fully synthetic.

Edit:
I took the liberty of looking up the service intervals according to Kia UK:

Note that the current gas Soul is not sold in the UK, however the previous generation had 10k intervals. I bet Kia USA didn’t have 10k intervals in the manual for the previous gen car...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
757 Posts
Deceptive-yes. Dishonest-dealers go after every cent they can get their hands on. I've always ignored the little windshield stickers. Go by what the manual says, after all it was written by KIA, not some franchised dealer. You know how and where you drive, not the dealer. They always try and upsell a lot of services that are expensive and not needed at the time-just follow your owner's manual recommendations on service. I've also told the service dept. at the dealer I go to for service to stop changing the service interval.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Forget the so called 'Dishonest Dealers' for a moment. What the OM says about Normal and Severe is not deceptive or difficult to read or understand, for most people anyway, and has nothing to do with your dealer.

Just in case, y'all have not read this lately, here it is, to read again.

If I only say "Yes" to "E" in that list, * (and sometimes, F, J, K, and C) and I must, living in FL, (where ultra fine sand is everywhere) then I automatically have to use the Severe schedule for my own Oil Changes. My Service Manager agrees with me. Counting by 3750 is not the easiest thing, so I just round it off to 3000 miles and go with that. My own KIA dealer agrees that it's OK, and so they change my oil and filter every 3000 miles without a whimper.
OH.... and I just shut off that annoying maintenance reminder on the car. It's easy to do. And if my dealer's mechanic puts one of those little stickers on my windshield, I just toss it!
I thoroughly believe in the old saying, KISS (Keep it simple, Stupid) Eh?

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I remember reading somewhere in Kia’s paperwork that most driving in the US is considered normal driving not severe. ( I wish I could find it right at hand.)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Ever heard of "The Great Lie"? Well, that which you just quoted is IT!

Re-Read that which I just copied right out of the Owner's Handbook. It's written in plain English, not Korean, and should be very easy to understand.

Why would you go to such extent to NOT Maintain your car as best as you could? Yo no comprende!

I've bought used cars, years ago, that were owned by people like that. Every one had serious problems, that could have been prevented by proper maintenance.
For instance, my very first car, a 1957 Chevy Convertible, had an engine that was one huge block of SLUDGE!

God willing, I'll never buy a used car again.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m not surprised your Service Manager agreed with you, he bills you every 3,000 miles instead of every 7,000 so he’d be a fool not to.

Engines and oils today are not the same as they were in the 50s. They’re not even the same as they were in the 80s and 90s. No-one needs to be doing 3,000 mile oil changes in their family runabout Kay because grandpa did in his old Chevy which had piston ring gaps you could stick your hand through and cheap oil sold by marketing not science. Well, unless you go to JiffyLube or such who use cheap old SAE30 oil and, being owned by an oil company last time I checked, advise you to come back every 3,000 for “cheap insurance”.
The “cheap insurance” is a lie. It’s fear lingering to get you to open your wallet with a bogeyman story of terrible things which may happen if you don’t. There is no evidence whatsoever that changing your oil that frequently is of any long term benefit and if we 3,000 miles or once per year is better, let’s do 1,000 miles or 1 month because that must be even better right? 500,000 miles shouldn’t be a problem then. Or maybe change it weekly or every 100 miles and get 1 million miles from your engine. Total nonsense.
Even tests from years ago (engines and oils have gotten better since) show that changing your oil too frequently has no upside:

Even at just $60 per oil change I’d waste $800 over 100,000 miles of driving by changing every 3,750 vs every 7,500.

Cheap insurance? Not so much...

Again, if you genuinely fall into severe use then go ahead, but probably 99% of drivers are not severe use. That’s why it’s called severe vs normal.

It’s down to Kia to prove that lack of sufficient oil changes AND your usage was severe in the event of a claim, not for you to prove otherwise.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I’m not surprised your Service Manager agreed with you, he bills you every 3,000 miles instead of every 7,000 so he’d be a fool not to.
Obviously, you only see what you want to see, when you read. I've plainly said, many times, that all my oil changes are FREE, including a FREE car wash. If you insist on quoting me, then please be accurate. Eh?

Engines and oils today are not the same as they were in the 50s. They’re not even the same as they were in the 80s and 90s. No-one needs to be doing 3,000 mile oil changes in their family runabout Kay because grandpa did in his old Chevy which had piston ring gaps you could stick your hand through and cheap oil sold by marketing not science. Well, unless you go to JiffyLube or such who use cheap old SAE30 oil and, being owned by an oil company last time I checked, advise you to come back every 3,000 for “cheap insurance”.
The “cheap insurance” is a lie. It’s fear lingering to get you to open your wallet with a bogeyman story of terrible things which may happen if you don’t. There is no evidence whatsoever that changing your oil that frequently is of any long term benefit and if we 3,000 miles or once per year is better, let’s do 1,000 miles or 1 month because that must be even better right? 500,000 miles shouldn’t be a problem then. Or maybe change it weekly or every 100 miles and get 1 million miles from your engine. Total nonsense.
Even tests from years ago (engines and oils have gotten better since) show that changing your oil too frequently has no upside:

Even at just $60 per oil change I’d waste $800 over 100,000 miles of driving by changing every 3,750 vs every 7,500.
Where on this earth do you find $60 oil changes? I've never heard of such a thing! Unless it's a diesel truck.

Cheap insurance? Not so much...

Again, if you genuinely fall into severe use then go ahead, but probably 99% of drivers are not severe use. That’s why it’s called severe vs normal.
There is no "vs"!!! Everyone who drives in Florida, or any state with lots of sand, is driving under severe conditions according to the schedule published by KIA. My own service manager told me that he considers every car driven in FL , to be driven under Severe conditions. In the 8 years that I've been driving a KIA Soul, I've not seen one person or even KIA define what "Normal" means. Define it, and I might consider it. Fail to define it, and you're just blowing smoke.

It’s down to Kia to prove that lack of sufficient oil changes AND your usage was severe in the event of a claim, not for you to prove otherwise.
If you properly maintain your Soul, you shouldn't have to worry about ever making a 'Claim'. I don't!
By your words, you've made it obvious to all, that you really don't want to maintain your Soul. Sad, very sad!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Would you care to show us the inside of your air intake pipe after the paper filter? If the sand is getting through the paper filter and coating the inside of your I take pipe I’ll buy your argument.
The reason Kia want you to go for increased maintenance (which includes checks and other things in addition to oil changes) is nothing to do with the engine taking sucking in sand and contaminating the oil with it, it’s because your filter will be clogged on the unfiltered side with sand which means they want you to clean it and the air is out more frequently. Not because you need more frequent oil changes.
I understand the difference between an simple oil change and regular maintenance. In my life I’ve ran new cars and 20 year old cars with 200,000 miles on them manufactured by numerous brands from the US, Europe and Asia. I’ve driven both a car and a motorcycle in Africa. I know how to maintain vehicles.
And none of them got 3,000 mile oil changes. You’re a service departments wet dream but it’s your money and you’re free to do with it as you please. Don’t encourage others to waste theirs though.
Anyone may need to claim against their warranty, there could be a fault in casting the crank or a bad bearing from the factory that fails early. Kia like any other manufacturer will try and weasel out of it any way they can.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do 5000 mile changes, I see no point of handing my hard earned money over to millionaires any more than I have to.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
69 Posts
Ever heard of "The Great Lie"? Well, that which you just quoted is IT!

Re-Read that which I just copied right out of the Owner's Handbook. It's written in plain English, not Korean, and should be very easy to understand.

Why would you go to such extent to NOT Maintain your car as best as you could? Yo no comprende!

I've bought used cars, years ago, that were owned by people like that. Every one had serious problems, that could have been prevented by proper maintenance.
For instance, my very first car, a 1957 Chevy Convertible, had an engine that was one huge block of SLUDGE!

God willing, I'll never buy a used car again.

Cheers Mates!
Today's motor oil is vastly superior to oil in the fifties. Did your 57 Chevy have a PVC valve?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Not sure, but if it did, it was probably plugged. Everything else in the engine was.

Actually oil has been oil, for a billion years. It's only the additives that have changed. And it's the additives that break down with time, once the oil has been put in the engine. Some can even turn to acids.
I feel quite good, getting all that crap out of my engine on a timely basis.
I actually enjoy the days that I spend at my dealership, getting my car serviced, and washed, and they check for any updates, and I get that Great Bumper to Bumper inspection. If they find anything wrong, they will fix it.
Like, the day I took Jem in for an oil change, and the mechanic found something sticking in the sidewall of one tire.
They just installed a NEW tire, NO charge.
I also enjoy walking around and talking with key people, like the parts man who had become a good friend. And I can examine all the new cars in the showroom. That Teluride is a Monster!
And after the service, I drive a few blocks down the road to "Cody's Roadhouse" for lunch and refreshments.
An Oil Change day, becomes an enjoyable outing for me. It's as much a social event as a car maintenance day. And it costs me Nothing, except for gas and lunch.

Happy Trails, Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
JCanada's climate is classed as severe (2020 Soul EX+) I change the oil every 3 months, regardless of the mileage or what the service manual says. Oil is cheap engine insurance, a clean engine is an efficient engine. I have dealer service for oil changes, then there's no haggling should engine problem develop. After an oil change dealers in Canadar re-set the service reminder to 6,000 km (3,728 miles) or 3 months. I just reset the service reminder to 4 months after every oil change. I love my Soul I feel so engaged with it when driving. I've owned a few high end sedans, they weren't fun to drive it was like sitting on a couch staring at the weather network. Souls are great vehicles, and at the top of the list when it comes to safety and quality build.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts