Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I love our new Soul, but she finds the passenger seat too low. She made a cushion to give a her little more height, but when she sits on it, the air bag light indicates "Air Bag Off." We've tried putting small pads under the cushion, where the dealer said the sensor plate for the air bag is located, but haven't been able to activate the air bag with the cushion in place.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to raise the passenger's position while keeping the air bag activated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My wife and I love our new Soul, but she finds the passenger seat too low. She made a cushion to give a her little more height, but when she sits on it, the air bag light indicates "Air Bag Off." We've tried putting small pads under the cushion, where the dealer said the sensor plate for the air bag is located, but haven't been able to activate the air bag with the cushion in place.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how to raise the passenger's position while keeping the air bag activated. Thanks.
feed her lots of Mexican food , she is too skinny

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
What kind of cushion is it? If, for example, if it is an air filled cushion, perhaps it is redistributing her weight to the outside of the seat. Then you could try a foam cushion, etc. Good luck but whatever you do, don't feed her a lot of Mexican food. I am sure your wife is fine the way she is :)

Otherwise, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
does the light go off if she sits on the seat without the cushion?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought some Gripper chair pads at Wally World (check them out in my garage) and they seem to work pretty good. My mom rides shotgun sometimes and feels too low also. I have noticed occasionally the light stays on and she has to adjust the cushion a little. I think something more firm between the seat and the pad would help. Most of the time the light goes off and stays off.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My Solution:
I totally get where your coming from...

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::​

Note: My wife is short, so I have to deal with this problem by (works great) raising the back of the seat track from the Floor by using 1" washers for spacers for the height adjustment (raises the bucket where you sit)(or you could do all four corners if you like)...
Now you go down to NAPA, and get "New High Grade Bolts" the extra length that you decided to raise the seat. Other People don't notice or care that you made this minor adjustment.
Note: Loosen or remove as needed all for bolts as needed to make the adjustment. DON'T remove the seat. Just raise as necessary.
NOTE TO "KIA MOTORS": Give the passengers seat a height adjustment in up-coming SOUL's Please...!!! My "OLD" 2005 Kia Sedona had seat height adjustments for driver & right passenger...YUP

·
Registered
231 Posts
If it was me having to make that adjustment I'd be raising the seat from the rail.
I'd make a raiser for the seat so it sits were I need it to be.

·
Registered
177 Posts
OK...first of all, DO NOT add a cushion of any kind to a car's seat!! There's a very serious situation that can occur if this is done and there's a serious accident! Adding any kind of cushion reduces the ability of the seatbelt and shoulder strap from doing its job. Due to any loose item placed beneath a person sitting in that seat in the event that there's a collision can cause the seat belt portion to ride UP and cause the person to slide UNDER the belt instead of being held securely in place.
My own mother was doing this until I pointed out the danger involved.

SeatCushionWarning.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Soul.Master.007, for the suggestion to put washers as spacers under passenger seat rail to raise the seat. That worked well and was easy for even an automotive klutz like me to accomplish. I raised the back of the rails 1" and the front a bit over 1/2". For anyone thinking of doing the same, the seat rail bolt thread on my 2015 "Stubby" is M10, 1.25 pitch.

Also appreciated the heads up on the hazard of using a seat cushion, Lewis T. - keeping me from doing something stupid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts