Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I Purchased a new 2013 Kia Soul 2U - Automatic 2.0

I am hoping someone can reassure me that what I have gone through is a fluke and I will soon be very happy with my new Soul!

On Dec 31st 2013 I picked up my new car from the KIA dealer in St-Eustache Quebec. I first noticed that my "new" car had 175 km on it. I realized this was not a huge deal but I was still a little disappointed. That evening we were driving and noticed the driver side door speaker was shot. All we got was static from it. I intended to notify the dealer right away and have them fix it. The next day leaving work the car wouldn't start. (It was -40C in Montreal) I do not have the key-less start button. I put the key in the ignition and turned. Nothing. It sounded and felt like it would if an older car wouldn't start due to the cold. Although the lights worked so we knew the battery wasn't dead. We got a boost and went home. (Yes, the boost somehow did the trick) The next morning - same thing. (This time only -20C). We waited for roadside assistance and had the car towed to the dealer. We were so upset. It really takes away from the experience of buying a new car. I don't know if I will trust it. I have lost time at work and of the 6 days I have owned my car it has been with me and drivable for 2 of those days. I am so discouraged!

The dealer called me today and said the battery is fine but they have to replace the key sensor and they couldn't find anything wrong with the speaker.

Any thoughts??

Thanks Guys!
Aimee

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry for the bad initial experience. I hope it gets better, and that the worst is behind you.

My 2010 Sport (recently traded) had a couple of mornings where it took a little coaxing for it to start in the extreme cold. Nothing as extreme as 40 below, but still pretty darn cold. I've seen several folks on the forums here from Canada that have block heaters to make starting easier. I've never used one before, but it sounds like it may help. That jump start may have been just enough extra juice to help your battery start the car.

As for the speaker, try it out before you leave the dealer. Have the service guy sit in the car with you and see if the problem returns. Play with the speaker balance so that you are listening only to the speakers on that side of the car.

Good luck! Let us know how everything goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. It's funny you mentioned a block heater. My husband demanded they install one and they have! I will try the speaker tonight when I pick up the car from the dealer. Thanks again and I hope my string of bad luck has come to an end.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
This is indeed bad for you and I know how frustrating that can be. But it is not and has not been normal for a Soul be behave like that right out of the box. 175 KM huh? That would have lifted my eyebrows some. Good luck to you though.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
The block heater should help with the very cold morning start ups, maybe some of our Canadian members can give some helpful hints. Sounds like one of the sales people put on the extra miles......bring it up and maybe you can get some free service for that. You have a good warranty so if that speaker gives any trouble in the future they should replace it. :)

Welcome to the forums!! :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
yes, I would say its a fluke,
not that unusual for a new car to have some mileage on it, people road test it to try it before purchase, if concerned why would you not question it when you picked it up? I always check the complete vehicle for correct operation of everything before I even drive it off the lot and pay for it, that way its easily solved and rectified.
It could be the vehicle has been sitting for some time and possibly needed the battery fully charging as extreme cold that put excessive strain on the battery (even a new one) to turn over the vehicle. Did they check the charging system beside the battery? Did you have the block heater plugged in when you said you had trouble starting the following morning? I have never had any problems starting with temperatures as low as -25 to -30C (but colder than that with the wind chill) and no block heater.

Extreme cold can sometimes do things to items, which could be the speaker you mentioned, maybe a bit of moisture. Get it in somewhere warm and see if it does it, and as suggestion check it out in the shop while at the dealership, not to say that something might not be wrong, that's why you have the warranty. It should be an easy find and easy fix.

TIP: add 2u AT to your DRIVES description for future questions and comments - thanks and welcome to the forum, good to have another Canadian onboard. ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought a left over 2013 new, about a month ago. It had just over 300 miles on the odometer. Not uncommon, here in the South. I don't think that any of my last four new cars had less than 100 miles on them at the time I purchased them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Starting a vehicle that has been sitting in -40 for many hours is a series of ifs. If the battery is fully charged, if it is in like new condition, if it is big enough, if the starter and engine are in perfect shape.

I would guess the problem the OP had was related to the car having sat for awhile and the battery did not have a chance to recharge.

One problem with very cold temperatures is that a battery is very resistant to charging when very cold. The vehicle will have to be run for quite a while (at least 1/2 hour) to actually begin to be recharged.

Starting a vehicle sitting overnight at -40 reliably realistically requires a block heater. You could buy the largest replacement AGM battery ( AGM have better current capacity in very cold temperatures than conventional flooded batteries) that will fit but if possible a block heater is a better option.

Another valuable addition is a battery blanket. This will allow the battery to accept a charge faster in cold weather. In my situation my drive to work is only about 15 minutes and I have found that during one of these winters I have problems keeping a battery fully charged without one. This way it has a better chance of starting after sitting all day at work where usually there are no plug ins.

On the coldest days I use my remote start to run the car at lunch time. Probably not necessary but gives me peace of mind.

It has been as cold as -42C (-50C wind chill) here and the Soul has not had a problem with starting (using a block heater/battery blanket) or running. At -42 it will keep the windows clear but is not exactly hot inside.

There is a world of difference starting a vehicle at -35 C, -30 F( real temp, not wind chill) than at -30C, -40C is another world again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Turns out they had to replace the key sensor. (not sure what the technical name is) It was not reading the key and that is why it wouldn't start of all things given the weather. They said the battery is good and the speaker has not had an issue since we picked up the car on Monday. I am feeling better about this purchase. Thank god for the warranty. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Won't start after dark

New 2014 Soul (102 miles) -- Starts with no problem in the morning (a little rough but we're dealing with that whole vortex thing)

Problem:
I can run 1 errand. To the store and it starts to come home.
After that, it won't start until the next morning! I don't think I have driven it after 3:00 since we bought it. After I park it outside in the driveway, I do nothing else to it until the morning.

Is there something inside there that needs to re-charge and can't do so until it has been sitting overnight in < 0 temps?

Dealer says - "We can't find the problem"
I say "Keep it until you do or give me a new one. "

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
my first thought would be put it on a battery charger overnight and see what happens.

My vehicle has been sitting beside my house for nearly five days with temperatures down to close to -30C (and with the wind-chill even much lower) and through two storms and went out today and it started instantly on the first turn, no hesitation and I have no block heater.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sorry for your problems.
I bought my 2013 +,earlier last year.No problems at all.
Only annoyance has been the engine tick that has been commented on many times.
It does get quieter after warm up.I think its a combo of oil flow(changed to a syn blend-improved)
and,injector noise.I applied sound proofing to the undersides of the engine cover.Really helped!
Wish the mpg would be better.However,I drive a bit faster than I should.This is a factor.Dropped a
K&N in the air box.Helped the pick up a bit.Nothing to improve the mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
New 2014 Soul (102 miles) -- Starts with no problem in the morning (a little rough but we're dealing with that whole vortex thing)

Problem:
I can run 1 errand. To the store and it starts to come home.
After that, it won't start until the next morning! I don't think I have driven it after 3:00 since we bought it. After I park it outside in the driveway, I do nothing else to it until the morning.

Is there something inside there that needs to re-charge and can't do so until it has been sitting overnight in < 0 temps?

Dealer says - "We can't find the problem"
I say "Keep it until you do or give me a new one. "
You will get more responses if you start your own thread. :)

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It's funny you mentioned a block heater. My husband demanded they install one and they have! I will try the speaker tonight when I pick up the car from the dealer. Thanks again and I hope my string of bad luck has come to an end.
so are you saying you did not have a block heater on the morning it wouldnt start and it was -40 celcius ?

and now you do ?

let us know how its been starting for you now that you have a block heater .

my CRV was plugged in on a few -40 / -38 celcius type mornings last week and it wouldnt start (roadside assist battery boost got it going)
dropped off at dealer and they installed bigger battery under warranty and has since started no problem on the cold mornings (plugged in overnight)

I like my CRV but still have my eye on the SOUL as a future vehicle .Winter reliability is my main concern so seeing threads like this open my eyes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts