Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's just me. (Again) We traded our trusty '13 Soul Base Automatic in this morning on a new '20 Soul LX Automatic - Gravity Gray. I used to work at the local Kia dealer until I quit to take care of mom before she passed last year. So, the manager gave me a great trade in on my '13 (even with 93K miles the interior was like new and all maintenance was up to date and logged), discounted the MSRP (no "Bump" stickers), and I had $1,900 in rebates without financing.

I wrote earlier on another thread about my test drive impressions, so you know I like it. Today, the salesman hooked up my wife's phone and showed us Android Auto. Pretty impressive! "Find an Italian restaurant." Done. "Find a gas station." Done "Play Lawrence Welk polka music." Done! "Show me directions to Gettysburg National Battlefield Visitors Center." Done. "What will the local weather be tomorrow?" Done.

Drives nice, especially the smooth IVT, and my wife says the seats are much more comfortable than the '13, which was her favorite car EVER!

One little nit-noid I discovered today. I had 2 spare keys made (no transponder in at least the LX version so cheapo duplicates work), but then I discovered there is no visible key hole in the door handle. They showed me how to pull the handle and slip the key in a slot underneath to pop off the cover. WHY??? Yes, maybe a key hole ruins the aesthetics but come on - who would really notice. I thought I found a solution - the LX manual transmission does not have remote entry (according to the website) so they must have a key hole. I could buy a gray cover and replace it. However, it looks like all the manuals come with black door handles. Oh well.

I will be ordering a set of Sportwing bodyside moldings soon before the first ding. Link: https://www.sportwing.com/Exterior-Accessories/Body-Side-Moldings/FE-SOUL14-Kia-Soul-Painted-Body-Side-Molding

Still - 99% satisfied is a pretty good rating. Looking forward to many years of fun with this one, too.

008Med.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
Wow, good looking car. No nannies in this model either, is there? There are a few differences but this is the model I would probably get if I were to get one. Just wondering if you can keep up with any differences or omissions on the 2020 as compared to the 2013 other than the sirius radio? Inquiring minds want to know. My 2013 base auto has less than 50K on it so it probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon. We will see.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow, good looking car. No nannies in this model either, is there? There are a few differences but this is the model I would probably get if I were to get one. Just wondering if you can keep up with any differences or omissions on the 2020 as compared to the 2013 other than the sirius radio? Inquiring minds want to know. My 2013 base auto has less than 50K on it so it probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon. We will see.
Correct - no nannies like lane assist or auto braking. That's why I bought this LX now.

Besides the major mechanical differences (2.0 Multi-Port vs 1.6 Direct Injection and IVT vs 6-Speed-Auto), this is what I noticed so far:

LX still uses plastic wheel covers and steel wheels, but 16-inch
No Sirius channel on radio, but we don't use that anyhow.
Added Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
Mini Spare tire is standard instead of Fix-A-Flat.
I miss the flat tray at the top of the center dash, by the clock - I used to mount the GPS there. No flat surface on new dash, will have to mount on lower windshield.
Engine Stop/Start is standard, but easy to turn off each time you start with button above left knee.
Seats seem more padded and more lower back support.
Still only 1 USB port and 2 power jacks on console.
Auto On/Off headlight setting option is standard.
Still no transponder in key, so you can make cheap duplicates. However, door key-hole is covered and tough to access if you want to use spare.
No "stuff" pockets on the back on the driver's seat. I used to carry the owners manual there to save glovebox space. It seems like the glovebox is smaller now, so I ended up putting the owners manual upright in the center armrest pocket.
Still uses "hand-crank" parking brake, not the newfangled electric ones. (Yeah!)
Backup camera is standard now.
No "repeater" turn signals on front fenders.
No bodyside moldings - even thought I thought the '13s moldings were too low.

More to come when I get home from a short trip this week and drive it more.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
You sold me at Lawrence Welk Polka! Congrats pnoman on a great trade in & new 2020!

Thanks for your impressions & comparisons too. They help alot.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Congrats. Good luck with your new whip. Those side molding pieces would be tempting, but I see so many different door shapes that the other cars around me would have to have flat doors in order for those to provide me with protection.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

You forgot, "NO CD Player"! No big deal for most of us.

I assume by now you found out how to go from digital speed readout to Trip Meter (both A and B) and how to reset 'B'. That's all done with the little "OK" button on the steering wheel.

OH, and if that LCD screen ON all the time, bugs you, you can shut it off (Kill it) by holding in the Radio ON/OFF button for several seconds.

And last but not least,,,, if pushing that ISG OFF button every time you get in the car, bugs you, just push it in and then stuff a piece of Card Stock in beside the switch, to hold it in. ISG is then effectively disabled.

Enjoy!

:cool:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Pno...Simplicity, price and the reliability of our 2012 were the driving forces in the purchase of out 2020 mars orange lx.
After owning the 2012 there are likes/dislikes in the 2020.
A nicer car overall and that is to be expected.
The C.V.T. is way better than I thought it would be and the car is surprisingly quick despite the reduction in hp.
Ride is greatly improved and the seats are definitely more comfortable.
Some cost cutting measure (voice dialing, keyhole emission) were unwelcome changes.
I actually paid less for our 2020 then I did my 2012 (LX vs +) so that was surely a welcome change!
A nicer car overall with that ever present quirkiness that has made a soul what it is.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
On a related note and it was my wife who actually pointed it out...
The LX is so well laid out and devoid of any excessive gimmicks and gadgetry that is feels somewhat "cheap" and I have to agree.
Maybe much like the German cars were, functional and to the point and I guess that is what the soul is.
One thing they missed the mark on was the toy like feeling of the steering wheel.
It really should have been made or at least covered in a better material.
Feels like the steering wheel you would find on a home game console.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Top Safety + Rating

New 2020 Soul owners can also be proud that they are driving in a Top Safety+ rated vehicle.

The completely redesigned 2020 Kia Soul has finally been crash tested by IIHS, and the results are quite good. The subcompact crossover earned the organization's highest rating of Top Safety Pick +, which topped the previous generation's plain Top Safety Pick rating.

The main reason for the higher overall rating is because of an improved passenger-side small overlap crash test result. The new model is now rated "Good" rather than "Acceptable" for the previous model. The rest of the new Soul's crash test results also got the top "Good" rating.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/06/25/2020-kia-soul-iihs-top-safety-pick-plus/

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
"One thing they missed the mark on was the toy like feeling of the steering wheel.
Feels like the steering wheel you would find on a home game console. "
:victorious:

Well, I never had a home game console, but, steering wheels in general have always been a pain to me. They're too hot in the summer, and make my hands sweat. And in the winter, they are too cold and hurt my hands if I'm not wearing gloves.
Maybe you can relate, if you've ever had your hands Frost Bitten. So my only solution was to put on a thick/fuzzy steering wheel cover. Pretty cheap at "Pep Boys".
So if that was ever a problem, it's not any more.

Happy Trails, Mates,

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
"One thing they missed the mark on was the toy like feeling of the steering wheel.
Feels like the steering wheel you would find on a home game console. "
:victorious:

Well, I never had a home game console, but, steering wheels in general have always been a pain to me. They're too hot in the summer, and make my hands sweat. And in the winter, they are too cold and hurt my hands if I'm not wearing gloves.
Maybe you can relate, if you've ever had your hands Frost Bitten. So my only solution was to put on a thick/fuzzy steering wheel cover. Pretty cheap at "Pep Boys".
So if that was ever a problem, it's not any more.

Happy Trails, Mates,

I bet in your neck of the woods that steering wheel gets super hot at times. Did you get the tiger cover like Gertrude had? Picture?:)

Just like Gen2 owners, I'd imagine Gen3 can, or will shortly be able to, buy an OEM upgraded steering wheel. They are very easy to swap out. The controller button modules pop out and the wiring harness is just plug & play. Probably a 25 minute job.

So depending on cost, which seemed to range from about $200 on up to pricey, you can have an EX style OEM wheel in an LX.

Someone here will probably start a DIY thread at some point (hopefully).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Way to take care of your Mom. Both my wife and I lost our mothers a few years ago. We had an 11 and 14 Soul. Got our 2020 LX last month. We love it. I thought I'd turn off the engine shut off but I haven't. Getting 35 plus MPG with it. Only issue as if yet is AV screen. On my 14 I complained about the silver speakers reflecting in the windshield. In the 20, they faced them towards you but still silver.Now they reflect in the side window! We're looking forward to our first road trip. Congrats on yours!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Greetings - I just got home from the madhouse they call Washington DC. I'm talking traffic, not the residents (temporary or permanent). We took the Subaru Forester so the new Soul is still sitting in the garage with 100 miles on it.

I opened up the forum on my phone at the hotel, and it did not remember my password. Neither did I. Oops.

@FLH - Yes, I forgot the CD player. Or lack thereof.

@SoleSoulMate - Yes, the chrome trim around the dash vent by the door does reflect right where the outside rearview mirror is. This was especially noticeable the other day when I was driving north and the sun was behind me and over my left shoulder, shining directly on the vent. It made it very hard to see anything in the mirror.

Thanks to all for your added comments.

A Couple of other notes I forgot:

1) The cupholders in the center console are both "Medium" size now, meaning a 20-oz Gatorade or soda will fit, but not the 32-oz bottle. The 2013 had a medium and large which took care of both. I go through a lot of Gatorade in the summer and like the quart bottles that I get for 75 cents at Kroger. The 20-oz are more expensive per-ounce.

2) I LIKE the front door armrests are padded for your elbow!! Nice!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Let me RED-LINE my response, so I don't miss anything. OK?

Greetings - I just got home from the madhouse they call Washington DC. I'm talking traffic, not the residents (temporary or permanent). We took the Subaru Forester so the new Soul is still sitting in the garage with 100 miles on it.

You couldn't pay me enough to drive through DC (again)

I opened up the forum on my phone at the hotel, and it did not remember my password. Neither did I. Oops.

My laptop didn't remember my forum login today, either. Weird Science?

@FLH - Yes, I forgot the CD player. Or lack thereof.
I couldn't find the 8-Track player either.
And, the 12v outlets and USB jack are buried so deep in the junk tray, as to be inaccessible.

@SoleSoulMate - Yes, the chrome trim around the dash vent by the door does reflect right where the outside rearview mirror is. This was especially noticeable the other day when I was driving north and the sun was behind me and over my left shoulder, shining directly on the vent. It made it very hard to see anything in the mirror.

I thought that was just a delusion, of old age. Yup, those chrome thingies need a coat of flat black paint.
They DO reflect in the outside mirror, or is it the left side window?

Thanks to all for your added comments.

A Couple of other notes I forgot:

1) The cupholders in the center console are both "Medium" size now, meaning a 20-oz Gatorade or soda will fit, but not the 32-oz bottle. The 2013 had a medium and large which took care of both. I go through a lot of Gatorade in the summer and like the quart bottles that I get for 75 cents at Kroger. The 20-oz are more expensive per-ounce.

2) I LIKE the front door armrests are padded for your elbow!! Nice!
Well, my 2013 arm rest was padded too, sort of, but like the one on the 2020, it's too low to be of any real use.
So just like on my 2013, I'll make a new arm rest pad, about 2" thick and attach it to the OEM arm rest with two sided tape.
BareArmRest.jpg
Original Arm Rest

FinishedArmRest.jpg
New, padded arm rest (I left it in my 2013 when I traded it in)

I just used materials that I had on-hand. Cost = $00.

I"ve had the same problem with the center arm rest....too low and too far back. I'm working on a new addition to that arm rest too, to be higher and further forward. The new arm rest will sit on top of the OEM arm rest and will be able to raise up along with the top of the OEM arm rest.

Cheers Mate!
FLH :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts