Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like your coments and sugestions and thoughts about the rearview of the kia soul 2017, a friend of mines is interested in buying a kia soul because of the need of a compact size car ( 163 '' ) is ok for parking :) and also it has easy in / out door , but the concern is that he has never driven a suv or crossover : / he has always driven cars, but for the looks and accesibility and length the soul seems the a good option , but the point is he works in a day care and the parking and soroundings always have kids running and walking around and parents as so , he would like to know if the tallness of the kia soul , would be of any concern in backing up and if the rear side pillars would be a problem : / also related to the right side blind spot ? the model he is intrested is the plus that has a backup camera and 17 inch tires, but would like to know if there is maybe a aftermarket option of a 180 degree rear view camera or maybe could that be added as an option ( but no details on that in any of the models ) .

by the way could a backup siren like the ones that the product cars in sams or other big departments have,
that ( get out the way siren ) be installed in the kia :) ?

hope to hear some reviews and comments/suggestions on the rear view visibility , thanks

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
the normal camera is a very wide angle view but not sure of the actual degrees. Set your outside mirrors correctly (like all three mirrors are one) and you will eliminate all "blind" areas. One advantages of the Soul design is that your vehicle basically ends at your rear window unlike a sedan where you have the trunk sticking out below the rear glass.

It maybe possible to add after-market bumper sensors.

Here's the rearview camera on mine, but it doesn't really give you an idea as to how wide the view is, I just know its wide when I see vehicles cross behind me when backing out of a parking spot. Maybe I should do a test to get an idea.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi Tecnico!

The Soul is not an overly large vehicle--it is taller than some similar vehicles (like the old Scion xB, Mini Coopers) which gives one a better vantage point while driving. There is a lot of glass all around the car with some areas blocked by the pillars--but the view I think is better than some of the sedans I have been in. If he parks in a parking lot and starts before the kids arrive, he should consider backing into the parking space that way he can see if there are any little ones that may be negatively impacted by his vehicle when he is leaving in the afternoon. The stock rear camera on the Soul + gives a pretty good view behind the vehicle--not sure if it quite 180 degrees but it is sufficient to see a bit on either side directly behing the vehicle.

Am sure that a beeping back up alert that alarms when the vehicle is put in reverse is an easy and inexpensive device to install. Also he could have the dealer or someone install the bumper mounted sensors that alarm inside the car when there is an object that is close to the back of the vehicle when the gear selector is put in reverse.

A lot of your friend's concerns could be addressed if he could get behind the wheel of a Soul.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes would be a good option but he cheked that other option brand but it didnt have the best results in the iihs test like the kia soul has : )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tecnico!

The Soul is not an overly large vehicle--it is taller than some similar vehicles (like the old Scion xB, Mini Coopers) which gives one a better vantage point while driving. There is a lot of glass all around the car with some areas blocked by the pillars--but the view I think is better than some of the sedans I have been in. If he parks in a parking lot and starts before the kids arrive, he should consider backing into the parking space that way he can see if there are any little ones that may be negatively impacted by his vehicle when he is leaving in the afternoon. The stock rear camera on the Soul + gives a pretty good view behind the vehicle--not sure if it quite 180 degrees but it is sufficient to see a bit on either side directly behing the vehicle.

Am sure that a beeping back up alert that alarms when the vehicle is put in reverse is an easy and inexpensive device to install. Also he could have the dealer or someone install the bumper mounted sensors that alarm inside the car when there is an object that is close to the back of the vehicle when the gear selector is put in reverse.

A lot of your friend's concerns could be addressed if he could get behind the wheel of a Soul.

Hope this helps.

hello vangone those are great ideas and options : ) has any one in the forum has used or installed them ? will they invalid the warranty if installed by one itself :/ ? or if installed by the dealer will the warranty still be covered : ) ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2017 has a really nice rearview camera on it, as someone earlier posted a picture. The back pillars can be troublesome but you can use all your mirrors to make sure you can see well. Most cars have the back pillars and blind spots due to safety specifications they have to meet.
I know a Chevy Bolt offers a 360 camera view if that's something he really wants.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do not have a backup camera on my 2014, but rear window visibility is excellent.

If kids are that unruly and in the parking lot, he will definitely need a back up camera, preferably one with side view warnings.

Alternatively he could tell the daycare place to monitor the kids in the parking lot.

Reverse darwinism could happen....

A bit of pocket fuzz from my Note3!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,397 Posts
My dad used to say "I've been backin' cars up for 70 years and never once hit a kid. I don't need no backup camera."

Now that I think of it we were missing a couple of cats???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would like to know if installing a after market backup camera and side view mirror cameras or blind spot detectors would invalidate the warranty? Because the installers would have to work with the electrical cables and other things like wirings and signal cables etc. Im asking because the model here in. PR that has at least back up camera is three base models up : / to get the backup camera

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
663 Posts
Would like to know if installing a after market backup camera and side view mirror cameras or blind spot detectors would invalidate the warranty? Because the installers would have to work with the electrical cables and other things like wirings and signal cables etc.
Re backup cam, no reason why it should void the warranty if not installed by a bozo. The only impact on original wiring would be a power takeoff for cam and display. You don't want to hire somebody who'd screw something that easy up anyhow. The other gear I'd think fell into that category also. If your car didn't come with those features, and you're not messing with it, that shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, Hyundai (parent company) was known to void transmission warranty if somebody used ATF that wasn't their brand (even if it was made by the same company that made their brand), so who knows?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,397 Posts
Re backup cam, no reason why it should void the warranty if not installed by a bozo?
Unfortunately I've had some real bozos work on my car. I need to pay closer attention to clues.

u19717403.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
As for me, rear visibility in Souls and in Kias in general is worse than my previous cars experience. On my Soul 2016 I need to use rear view mirrors, side mirrors, camera AND park-tronics. Sometimes I also turn around to see what's behind me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for me, rear visibility in Souls and in Kias in general is worse than my previous cars experience. On my Soul 2016 I need to use rear view mirrors, side mirrors, camera AND park-tronics. Sometimes I also turn around to see what's behind me.
? what acording to your post could be the problem ? Bad blind spots? Too dark the rear window ? What park tronics do you use ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daf1480 in your opinion what other small suv like the kia soul would you consider have better rear view visibility?

·
Registered
40 Posts
? what acording to your post could be the problem ? Bad blind spots? Too dark the rear window ? What park tronics do you use ?
I should say the dark oval shape on the rear window steals the visibility. I've seen that on other Kia models as well. New Sorento Prime and Ceed are total rear-visibility disaster.

Side mirrors could be more protuberant I think. The rear-view cam helps, but on my 5,5 inch display I need to look closer on the screen everytime I reverse - eyesight is getting worse ((. Should be ok on 8'

I had park-tronics with the car from the store. Not sure, what stock PT they install there ))

I don't think any SUV or compact SUV is an exemplary rear-view model. But since I mostly drive forward, this is not an issue for me when choosing a car. )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts