Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Soul Plus from Enterprise yesterday. Today I checked the oil level for the first time and it is 3/16 of an inch above the full mark on the dipstick. According to the OM, the level should be between full and low. I ran the car and rechecked the level again after 5 minute per the manual.

Is this some kind quirk with the engine design or did the ASE Certified mechanic from Enterprise overfill?

Also, would it be possible to suck some the engine oil out?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just bought a Soul Plus from Enterprise yesterday. Today I checked the oil level for the first time and it is 3/16 of an inch above the full mark on the dipstick. According to the OM, the level should be between full and low. I ran the car and rechecked the level again after 5 minute per the manual.

Is this some kind quirk with the engine design or did the ASE Certified mechanic from Enterprise overfill?

Also, would it be possible to suck some the engine oil out?
Likely just over filled it slightly or didn't drain completely. 3/16 of an inch isn't enough to warrant draining some out IMO.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,473 Posts
I had the same thing happen after my 1st dealer oil change. Mine was 1/2 inch over. No biggie Joe.

Luckily this topic has been discussed quite a bit before on the forum (see Similar Threads box below or use SEARCH). No need to start a new thread on this oil overflow topic.

Enjoy your new Soul :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
JOE, please fill out the required entries to your "Drives" section of your control panel. We need to know all about your new car. What year is it, and what trim level is it, and what motor and does it have an AT or MT transmission?

If you bought the car from "Enterprise" I think we all have to assume, or at least ask " is that a USED CAR! " (was it a rental car?)

Does it have the bright blue KIA Genuine Oil Filter on it? If not I'd do an immediate Oil Change on that car, installing a REAL/Genuine KIA Oil Filter and a top quality oil in the 5W20 range, as is usually printed on the Oil Filler Cap. Any Kia dealer would be glad to do that for you.

Having a non Kia oil filter on that engine and a non compatible oil, could cause engine damage and void any and all power train warranties.

This has all been cussed and discussed many times on this forum, if you care to do some Searching.

Good Luck,
:cool:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had the same thing happen after my 1st dealer oil change. Mine was 1/2 inch over. No biggie Joe.

Luckily this topic has been discussed quite a bit before on the forum (see Similar Threads box below or use SEARCH). No need to start a new thread on this oil overflow topic.

Enjoy your new Soul :)
Never stopped a new repeated oil thread from starting before..... :semi-twins:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,473 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts

I changed the oil, for the first time myself, on my soul. This is what came out of the engine. I didn't measure this old oil, but it looks like about five quarts?
I didn't change the filter this time. The change was because of the months, and not miles.
I put much less than this back in. And actually, it is a hair overfilled.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
KIA dealers--and apparently other service experts--as often as not will overfill. Apparently nobody reads specs any more. If they can read.

"Uhh. The 1.6? Yeah, takes four quarts. Two-oh? Five. Yeah, yr welcome!"

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
381 Posts
With a filter change its somewhere around 4 1/4 qts for the 2.0 engine. For the $7 or so I would just change the filter too but no biggie.
During the winter I tried to keep the car off the salted roads. It was about five months and I had gone 1200 miles. So like I said it was time not miles on the change. Also I got back on schedule for miles per oil change. I go 3000 on the oil. The car is Two years and two months old and I have 18000 miles on it. two thirds of them came in the first 12 months. After that I bought a 6 pack of the Hyundai filters (26300-35504) from Amazon for $24.95.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyundai-Filter-Washer-26300-35503/dp/B011AQGJ0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525099180&sr=8-1&keywords=Hyundai+Genuine+OEM+Hyundai+Oil+Filter+w%2FDrain+Plug+Washer+%28pack+of+6%29+26300-35503&dpID=41orB5-MQYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
KIA dealers--and apparently other service experts--as often as not will overfill. Apparently nobody reads specs any more. If they can read.

"Uhh. The 1.6? Yeah, takes four quarts. Two-oh? Five. Yeah, yr welcome!"
Specifically....the Kia Soul 1.6L engine takes 3.4 quarts of oil. It's a weird value, granted, but if the Oil Change guys are putting in too much oil, it's because they are looking at the spec's for the 2.0L engine and not the 1.6L engine. That's what happens when you have high school dropouts doing oil changes. They don't understand that there are two different engines for the Kia Soul.

Cheers Maties!

:cool:

As an afterthought..... put in three quarts after draining out the old oil (and replacing the filter with a genuine Kia filter) and start the engine to pump the new oil throughout the engine and to fill the filter. Then shut off the engine, and with the car sitting on a level surface, check the oil level on the dip-stick. Add fresh oil a little bit at a time till the level on the dip-stick reaches the FULL mark.
If you follow that technique, you'll never have a problem with 'Too Much' oil in the engine, no matter which engine you have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts