Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can shed light on the problem I am having?

Live in Minnesota so car starts up COLD in winter.
I plug in my nearly new Galaxy S9 and the Head unit says reading USB or Android Auto and I can launch the MAP Navigation. All is well until the car has warmed up, say 5-8 minutes, then the message Phone Not Responding/Reading USB starts to cycle, AA turns off.

1st thought - USB cable is faulty - Swapped for my new one, same problem.
2nd AA has been updated and broken it. - Downgraded AA to the last version that worked faultlessly on a 12 hr round trip. - No change
3rd USB connection going faulty when warm - plugged in a thumb drive and played music files faultlessly for 30 mins. - Not the problem
4th Phone charge rate overheating something on the car as it charges and transfers data at the same time - Not sure how to test this theory. Tried switching off fast charge on the phone, but again no luck.
5th thought - try it with another phone - going to take some organizing.
6th thought is to try it with the phone fully charged. Hopefully current draw will be much lower and will give me a clue.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? I know the dealer will blame the phone, and the phone company will blame the car.

Martin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly that didn't fix it. Reinstalled the software on the phone too. Wife mad that I've lost all her preset radio stations now :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to dismiss 6th thought too. Phone at 100%, current draw according to an app I installed at around 240mA, well within a car charge rate I should think. Looks like a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My LG has not done this to me, though I only use AndroidAuto on longer runs, my trip to work is literally 6 minutes if I hit all the lights. Could the charge port on your phone be loose? I've seen a lot of the cheaper Samsung models get a faulty charge port but would have thought the top of the line phone would be immune to those problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, phone was brand new as was the cable. There is something weird about temperature. Worked fine all winter, but now we are getting temps in the 70's it's failing again.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You said you're using the cable that came with the device? You're not mounted on a wireless car charging mount are you? I'd try a different vendor for the cable, just to rule that out. And, my S9+ always gets hot during the summer. I usually run Uber and Lyft concurrently, and once it reaches a certain temp, it won't do split screen anymore. The only way I can get it to respond is to use my A/C vent mount on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a Note 9 and have random connectivity issues.
I had to uninstall AA and redo it.

Still have an issue or two, but turning off wifi seemed to cure 99% of my issues.

Had the same issue with my Note 8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it to the dealer, who of course announced it was the phone with 10 minutes. When I left they said it seemed to be working after changing some settings, but it didn't make it out of the car park. I tried plugging it into my PC and doing a large file download using both the USB 2.0 connector and USB 3.0 connector. 3.0 was ridiculously slow, which is not making me wonder of the phone really is the issue. Now I am wondering if I put a type B to type C converter on the phone, whether this would fool the head unit into thinking it should use the slower standard, which perhaps actually works.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've found Android Auto to be way more buggy than Apple CarPlay. Was Using an Android for months with Android Auto and ran into all types of bugs like this. Then I used an iPhone 7 for a few months and had zero issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Android Auto seems to work flawlessly for me. I did once have a problem, but it was a cheap cable and quickly replaced it. I ended up getting a short usb-c cable (Anker brand). I would say it's your phone or cable. The problem is that if is a problem with the head unit, it's hard to prove. These tech gadgets are hard to prove when they go wrong.
Used Oneplus 6t and now a 7 Pro with no issues. Not even a glitch on my wife's Sportage on a Oneplus 6 or 6T.
Wife had a friend who had nothing but issues with Apple, and when they switched to Android they mentioned all the problems went away, but again, I would say it was probably the phone or cable, as the head unit never got replaced during that time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would call Kia tech support on another phone while sitting in your car. See if they can help you sort this out. Try to recreate your problem with the tech listening on the other phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The SAGA continues. Dealer changed the USB cable, worked for a week. Then they changed the Head Unit, worked for 2 weeks. They did say to bring it back if it fails again, but neither of us believed it would.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly same issue with the Soul 2020, for both my and wife's phones. And these phones are doing fine on another car.

So, connomar, did the head unit replacement help?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've found one thing that I don't at all like... The head unit in my 19+ runs on Android 4.4 (see the engineering menu thread to get in). #1 this is too old for a lot of stuff. #2 there is a known vulnerability in this version that may be leaving our cars open to attack.

I just wish they would let it run a full Android system so we could install our apps directly, would take the phone mostly out of the loop for me.

My #1 bug is that I can't read and replay to text messages unless the USB cable is connected. And when the USB cable is connected, I can't voice dial people in my contacts. The voice dial works perfectly if I am BT connected. Need to dive into the engineering menu more and see what I can find.

Never had either problem with my old 2015 Ford with Microsoft Sync.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts