Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We looking to buy a new Soul+ in the next several months and was wondering what people were paying. I think getting ~$1000 under invoice would be a nice price. Can you you please post the following:

1) Model of Car bought & package
2) MSRP price
3) Price paid before tax/title/license (each locality/state has different taxes)
4) general location

thanks much, hopefully others will find this thread useful.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
This is all going to depend on the time of year and what promotions KIA has at the time.
If they are clearing inventory off the lot you'll get a much better deal.
I know for here in Canada, we get the new models coming onto the lot generally around September-ish usually. Again this depends on location in Canada, because I believe they get the new models first out East.

I'm not going to post what I paid for the vehicle up here because trim models and features are different between Canada and the US. I got what I wanted for the price I wanted and that's all I'll say.

Other criteria you should really add to your list is whether it was a lease, finance, or cash.
I pay cash for everything, so my price is going to be much lower than someone who finances (due to finance fees etc).

·
Registered
36 Posts
1) Model of Car bought & package: 2018 Soul +, Automatic, Standard Package.
2) MSRP price: $21,320.00
3) Price paid before tax/title/license (each locality/state has different taxes): $19,360
4) general location Bay Area, Ca

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here's my local dealer:

https://www.bosakkia.com/new-vehicles/soul/

Mine in 2016 was maybe $4000 higher on the sticker ($25+ K) than the highest priced one shown here (6-16-18). Mine is a plus with primo package. I'd have to look but I believe I paid $1700 in Indiana sales tax and $18something for the extended warranty/service agreement (10yr/125000 mi).

So $16000 without any extra charges to 27 or 28 thou., out the door, with all taxes, warranties etc.? It depends on what you get?
It kinda runs like the stock market. Check in daily. Buy high sell low?

I suppose this page I linked might change as time passes. This dealer is a no haggle shop.

·
Registered
620 Posts
!) (ooops it's a Typo, or is it?!?! Exclaim (although I wish I had bought it with the 2 packages available -- Pan sunroof and upgraded speakers) only option was floor mats
2) MSRP $23,920
3) Just shy of $20,00 like $19,230 or so, (but I had a moment of weakness and let the finance guy talk me into a lot of extra BS claiming I could write it off against my Uber income so it ballooned close to MSRP).
4) My location is the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

You should expect at least $3000 off of MSRP without haggling as the 2019s will be right around the corner. If I were you, I'd wait until the 2019s actually hit the showroom floor and that'll make it easier to haggle. What I've done in the past is go to https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...Id=27802&yrId=35797618&yrId=30031936&zc=85001 and email a few dealers and let them cut each other's throats. I did that when I bought my Optima, and it's funny hearing each salesman try to tell you why they can't match or tell you the other dealership's "dirty tricks". I had one dealership actually email me to tell me that the dealership was probably going to bait and switch me, which they did. And, while I'm a little biased, you need to test drive the turbo before you pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
!) (ooops it's a Typo, or is it?!?! Exclaim (although I wish I had bought it with the 2 packages available -- Pan sunroof and upgraded speakers) only option was floor mats
2) MSRP $23,920
3) Just shy of $20,00 like $19,230 or so, (but I had a moment of weakness and let the finance guy talk me into a lot of extra BS claiming I could write it off against my Uber income so it ballooned close to MSRP).
4) My location is the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

You should expect at least $3000 off of MSRP without haggling as the 2019s will be right around the corner. If I were you, I'd wait until the 2019s actually hit the showroom floor and that'll make it easier to haggle. What I've done in the past is go to https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...Id=27802&yrId=35797618&yrId=30031936&zc=85001 and email a few dealers and let them cut each other's throats. I did that when I bought my Optima, and it's funny hearing each salesman try to tell you why they can't match or tell you the other dealership's "dirty tricks". I had one dealership actually email me to tell me that the dealership was probably going to bait and switch me, which they did. And, while I'm a little biased, you need to test drive the turbo before you pull the trigger.
This is very true. Once the 2019s start touching the showroom floor they are eager to get rid of the 2018s. I pitted all of my local dealerships against each other (helps that I worked at 3 of the 4, LOL)
I sold KIA cars at the NW dealership. Rebuilt Forte engines (thank goodness they don't use that engine in the Soul) at the NE dealership. Launched the detail department, trained managers, and trained a diagnostic tech at the SE dealer. So I called each one looking for a fully loaded Turbo in white. I then told them that the other dealerships were looking for one for me as well, but I "would prefer to spend my money at your dealership if at all possible". Three dealerships came back to me and said "oh there are no white ones nearby, sorry". The fourth dealership called me to say that they had to trade a different loaded model off the lot just to get me a the color I wanted, if I was serious about it they would do so.

Then comes the add-on packages.

"Do you want 3M paint protection?"

"I would love 3M paint protection, but I'm not spending $1200 here when my buddy will do it for $550"

"Oh let me take a look"

Few minutes later

"We can do your 3M paint protection for $550 here if you want to get it done before driving it anywhere"

"Yes please add that"

This is what it takes to buy a new car. I've been on both sides... selling them and buying them. It's not actually the markup on the car they make their money on. It's the finance fees and add-ons.

$900 for a "FACTORY" KIA remote start at my local dealership.

I went online, researched the company that made them.
Bought just the parts from the parts guys for $250 dollars... bought the $18 special cable to program it... installed it in less than 45min.

Seriously... your battle for the purchase starts in the finance managers office, not the salesmans office.

Wow... this was long. My apologies. Hope it helps someone out there though!

·
Registered
620 Posts
This is very true. Once the 2019s start touching the showroom floor they are eager to get rid of the 2018s. I pitted all of my local dealerships against each other (helps that I worked at 3 of the 4, LOL)
I sold KIA cars at the NW dealership. Rebuilt Forte engines (thank goodness they don't use that engine in the Soul) at the NE dealership. Launched the detail department, trained managers, and trained a diagnostic tech at the SE dealer. So I called each one looking for a fully loaded Turbo in white. I then told them that the other dealerships were looking for one for me as well, but I "would prefer to spend my money at your dealership if at all possible". Three dealerships came back to me and said "oh there are no white ones nearby, sorry". The fourth dealership called me to say that they had to trade a different loaded model off the lot just to get me a the color I wanted, if I was serious about it they would do so.

Then comes the add-on packages.

"Do you want 3M paint protection?"

"I would love 3M paint protection, but I'm not spending $1200 here when my buddy will do it for $550"

"Oh let me take a look"

Few minutes later

"We can do your 3M paint protection for $550 here if you want to get it done before driving it anywhere"

"Yes please add that"

This is what it takes to buy a new car. I've been on both sides... selling them and buying them. It's not actually the markup on the car they make their money on. It's the finance fees and add-ons.

$900 for a "FACTORY" KIA remote start at my local dealership.

I went online, researched the company that made them.
Bought just the parts from the parts guys for $250 dollars... bought the $18 special cable to program it... installed it in less than 45min.

Seriously... your battle for the purchase starts in the finance managers office, not the salesmans office.

Wow... this was long. My apologies. Hope it helps someone out there though!
Lol, that is apparently how it's done nowadays. Another tip is to have the financing in your pocket before you deal. Also, tell them that you may or may not have a trade. And if you're paying cash, consider financing anyways as they give more incentives for financing. I actually qualified for financing from KMF (Kia's in house financing) and had a local vulture errr salesman contact me before I even released the mouse button from the "submit" button.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Lol, that is apparently how it's done nowadays. Another tip is to have the financing in your pocket before you deal. Also, tell them that you may or may not have a trade. And if you're paying cash, consider financing anyways as they give more incentives for financing. I actually qualified for financing from KMF (Kia's in house financing) and had a local vulture errr salesman contact me before I even released the mouse button from the "submit" button.
Interesting. We pay hefty finance fees here in Canada. So I went the cash route to avoid all that.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
So true TX. I was going to pay cash but they offered a $1,500 rebate if I financed through KIA. So I accrued about $80 in finance charges over the next 3 months and then paid it all off. No penalty for early payoffs either. $1,500 - $80 = $1,420 savings.

·
Registered
620 Posts
So true TX. I was going to pay cash but they offered a $1,500 rebate if I financed through KIA. So I accrued about $80 in finance charges over the next 3 months and then paid it all off. No penalty for early payoffs either. $1,500 - $80 = $1,420 savings.

Some people I know will scoff at financing if they have cash. They think that it's always better to pay cash. I tend to think that they don't have any experience in car buying when they claim that cash is the only way to go. If they offer you 0% APR, why would you pay cash and miss all that interest from keeping your money elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Some people I know will scoff at financing if they have cash. They think that it's always better to pay cash. I tend to think that they don't have any experience in car buying when they claim that cash is the only way to go. If they offer you 0% APR, why would you pay cash and miss all that interest from keeping your money elsewhere?
If you lived through the Great Depression and watched all your bank money go poof, you'd keep the money in your mattress too. Plus, there are ton of tax cheats in the US.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you lived through the Great Depression and watched all your bank money go poof, you'd keep the money in your mattress too. Plus, there are ton of tax cheats in the US.
The only depression I've lived through is your attempts at humor.... ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tomorrow I will be picking up my 2018 Premium in Wild Orange - (Demo with 9322 km on it).
MSRP: $25,995
Price before taxes: $23,517 (taxes and fees add another $5,900)

There are sport visors already installed and I've added the hood deflector and All Weather Mats. I am *so* excited!
~

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tomorrow I will be picking up my 2018 Premium in Wild Orange - (Demo with 9322 km on it).
MSRP: $25,995
Price before taxes: $23,517 (taxes and fees add another $5,900)

There are sport visors already installed and I've added the hood deflector and All Weather Mats. I am *so* excited!
~

Yikes, that discount doesn't seem so great considering it's a Demo, they are discounting new ones here to make way for the 2019s. I'm a fan of the color, only because it looks similar to my SS. They have brand new versions of your car here that retail for $28,645 that are being discounted down to $25,749 USD. This one comes fully loaded (Pano-sun roof, upgraded Touch Screen, Stereo, etc). https://www.pattersonkia.com/vehicle-details/new-2018-kia-soul---KNDJX3AA8J7588585 If it's not too late, you should do some more shopping around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morn,

I can't speak to any models other than the 2018 base with automatic and floor mats.

Purchased last weekend in South Florida for $16325 out the door.
We have 6% sales tax down here and I figure about $50 cost for a tag transfer.

The amount of fees that they have on these buyers order sheets now is ridiculous so I had a hard time paying attention to anything other than OTD amount when getting competing bids from dealers.

Something of note...incentives went from $1500 to $2000 since I purchased which would suggest an even better deal could be gotten now.

So far I am duly impressed with what this ... let's call it $15000 car has to offer.

We drove a 2019 Honda Fit base just prior to seeing the Soul and it seemed way more basic. And the driver preferred the look and feel of the Soul.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Yikes, that discount doesn't seem so great considering it's a Demo, they are discounting new ones here to make way for the 2019s. I'm a fan of the color, only because it looks similar to my SS. They have brand new versions of your car here that retail for $28,645 that are being discounted down to $25,749 USD. This one comes fully loaded (Pano-sun roof, upgraded Touch Screen, Stereo, etc). https://www.pattersonkia.com/vehicle-details/new-2018-kia-soul---KNDJX3AA8J7588585 If it's not too late, you should do some more shopping around.
Other than an impossible task of importing this car from Arlington, TX to Ontario Canada, you do have a point.:stupid:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Other than an impossible task of importing this car from Arlington, TX to Ontario Canada, you do have a point.:stupid:

Umm, that was as an example. I'm sure there are plenty of Canadian websites like Cars.com As a matter of fact, I found this one New Kia Soul for sale in Toronto | autoTRADER.ca which should help him find a deal..... And, I picked up my SS in Sioux City Iowa which was over 700 miles away. Drove the whole way and back within a 24 hour period (on 2 cans of Monster energy), 11 hours there, 1 hour to do all the paperwork, and 11 hours back. Left home at 2am, got to the dealership around 1pm, left around 2pm, got home around 1am and got back to work the next day at 7am. Would I drive 700 miles for a new car? Considering it saved me about $400 a month, you bet I would.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts