Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking yesterday to one of the two dealers I've visited in town. He said that their Kia rep advised them that the next set of Souls they get would have a higher price point. Has anyone else heard anything about that?

Seems kind of fishy to me considering what MSRP is according to the Kia website.. the whole point is to keep them affordable...

Of course this is the dealer I spoke to who doesnt seem to want to go out of his way to find me the exact Soul I want.. and the other dealer gives you an extra $500 on a trade in if you bought your car from them originally (thinking about swapping my soon to be Soul out for a hybrid if/when they come out)

SJ

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I can only imagine a price increase if they say upgrade the auto trans to a five speed or change out the engine for their new 2.0 litre I believe its called the Theta II...gives more horsepower and is all aluminum...other wise the dealer rep is full of BS....KIA would not risk losing any potential customers by raising the price on an existing product..HYUNDAI and KIA are now one of the few manufacturers with a sales increase....The Japanese, European, and North American are struggling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has probably been discussed elsewhere (but this is the thread that came up when I searched) but the MSRP of the Soul DID increase w/the 2010 model, right? Didn't an unoptioned Soul Sport with manual transmission used to have an MSRP of $16,950 *including* the $695 destination charge? Currently, the Kia site lists the MSRP + destination for that exact model as $17,890. Link here: http://www.kia.com/#/soul/build/?page=step1 The Soul+ (MT) that a friend was shopping for last July used to have an MSRP + dest. of $14,995., and now it's $15,890.

When I was at the LA Auto Show last month, window stickers on Souls seemed to indicate MSRP increases of about $1,000. (hard to tell exactly given the options on the show cars) which seemed steep to me. I spoke with a salesguy at the show to ask about the price bump and he confirmed that NO significant equipment had been added to help justify the increase (I specifically asked about the bigger engine and 6-speed from the Forte... thinking the addition of *those* could justify such a big price hike).

Without other info, I'll assume that what's on the website is correct and that the prices on the '10 Souls have been hiked. If I'm mistaken about pricing, please let me know (my memory has tricked me before ;) ). FWIW, other manufacturers have also hiked prices from '09 to '10 despite the economy and tight credit, including Mini and VW, though the price of a '10 Scion xB only went up $100. since the '09 model according to Edmunds.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
When I was shopping I was talking to an insider that said the prices were kept low at launch to build interest and "test the market" if they sold well (they did) there would be price increases for the next round of North American cars. I agree with nobozos raising the price on an existing product would be a very bad idea.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, the price did change this fall. I was watching prices from about March and by October the Kia website listed new prices - lower by a few hundred. If the demand is there and the 2011 model has some refinements, then yes, they will raise the price. Basic economics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts