Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Premature Catalytic Converter Failure

37K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  THE FLOOP DROOPSBY 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Base that just spent a week at the dealer due to a bad Catalytic Converter. The car has 59k on it. Seemed a little pre mature. Has anyone else had any catalyst/emissions issues?

#2 ·
I haven't heard of any out of the ordinary problems with the cats 3rd. Did they give you any logic besides it was just a "bad" one?

At least it's 100% covered, right?

Reactions: pnoman
#14 ·
There has just been an announcement concerning Kia Souls and a fire hazard. When investigating it with KIA North America, I was told that it will involve only the KIAs with the 1.6L engine. These engines have a smaller catalytic converter and that was manufactured by a different company than the larger converter which is on the 2L engines. So, the 2L KIA Souls will not be included in the recall. This may explain the failure of a catalytic converter that has been experienced by some owners in the forum.

#16 ·
I called my closest Kia dealer and asked about the recall and even had him run my vin (which he didn't seem too happy to do) and he said nothing came back about any recalls I even told him the issue with the high EGTs and he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about

#17 ·
This may be a dumb question but when I bought my 16 Base Soul(1.6 G.D.I. Auto) I had my oil changes regularly. And when I had went this last time they said and showed via camera that I had engine sludge build up. Could this be related to this issue as well as a rough or inconsistent idle?

#21 ·
Did you get a recall notice for your vehicle? They are supposed to replace free of charge cats that had been damaged. Something sounds very wrong with your situation. Check into the recall with your dealer.

Reactions: Kerig3
#33 ·
Woo Hoo that's good news Cindy Lou!

Thanks for letting us know.

#35 ·
Make sure to get a copy of the Recall Notice and any TSB (you can do research at safercar.gov, here as well as other places). Then hold them to their responsibility. The more YOU know, the better the outcome will be.

#36 ·
Yes i have at 62600 milesin june 2019 The kia warranty manufacturer replaced it free. Now i gave out again a 80000 miles in july 2020. Warranty wont cover it over 1months or 12,000 miles . So I got Carshield American auto shield extended warranty when purchased kia they wont cover the replacement or labor for new catalytic converter. This kia soul has catalytic converter issues. I will never buy kia again .

yes at 60000 miles in june 2019 catalytic converter went out on warranty. and again in july 2020 at 80000 . Kia warranty wont cover it or Carsheild / American Auto Sheild after 5 yrs of paying extended warranty !

#37 ·
Is there a "reason why" they won't cover it? Did they just say "NO" and you walked away?

Cats fail for some reason and you deserve to know why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.