Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Soul Plus, 2.0, auto. I have a problem with the power locks; the driver door unlocks with the first attempt but the second attempt that should unlock the remaining three doors and the lift gate usually takes anywhere from three to fifteen tries before they unlock, typically five to ten tries. This is the case with either the remote, the driver door interior switch, or the third option of putting the key in the driver door lock cylinder and turning it counterclockwise (I think?). Is there a power lock module of some kind that controls this? Another issue that has happened is when unlocking all doors But only opening any door but the driver door all of the doors will lock after about fifteen seconds. This problem comes and goes, it will work perfectly for a month then the next day I’m back the twelve tries.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
It's all controlled through the body control module (bcm). First thing I would try is replacing the battery in the remote; if both batteries are the same age it could be your problem. Always try the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
640 Posts
Another issue that has happened is when unlocking all doors But only opening any door but the driver door all of the doors will lock after about fifteen seconds.
My molten does the opposite. It's the door ajar contact. If the dome light is set to door I can see when it thinks the door is open or closed. Sometimes the light starts to soft off then returns to full bright.
My contact switch needs cleaned or replaced. There is a reasonable possiblity your's does too.
I have a scanner that can show the driver's and/or passenger's state.
The lights told me enough, the scanner proved it.

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
640 Posts
. Is there a power lock module of some kind that controls this?
I do believe there is a relay for that, not sure if it's user replaceable. If it's a standard 5 pin relay it's easy.
The wiring schematic says on first tap the primary relay opens driver's and arms the second. The second tap opens the rest. On some? models the 1+1=all or all together is user setting. You might search the forum for twice unlock or 2 tap open or similar. It's been discussed, I don't remember the details.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I do believe there is a relay for that, not sure if it's user replaceable. If it's a standard 5 pin relay it's easy.
The wiring schematic says on first tap the primary relay opens driver's and arms the second. The second tap opens the rest. On some? models the 1+1=all or all together is user setting. You might search the forum for twice unlock or 2 tap open or similar. It's been discussed, I don't remember the details.
Exactly right, it is a relay and I have seen a few go bad. Unfortunately it is part of the circuit board in the fuse box under the dash. They can be replaced, I have taken the circuit board out and soldered a new one in but I would not recommend someone inexperienced with electronics repair to attempt it.
See picture

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not completely sure I understand; this lock relay is part of a larger part- The fuse box itself? Is it something I can just get from the dealer and install or plug-in myself? Do I go to the parts department and ask for a Power Lock Relay??? Would one from a salvage/junk yard vehicle be compatible?

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
640 Posts
bwdz - have you tried the "Press the lock and unlock buttons on the FOB while at the car and hold for five seconds."?
OP - I've not tried that, it might be a workaround or perhaps a diagnostic option.
If I did the reprogram and everything worked well consistently and then undid the reprogram and it went back to misbehaving that would tell me where to go next.
If you don't care about the twice unlock then I would just try to reprogram it and leave it on.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
It's inside the circuit board of the fuse box. You can source just the relay from an electronic supplier and take the fuse box apart and solder it in. The dealer can sell you the whole fuse box only. There are a few tests you should run before you replace it but just from experience and having seen this a few times I'm 90% confident that it is the relay.

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, you’re saying the power window relay is part of the Fuse Box itself. I imagine it’s pretty expensive, do you have any idea how much, $300-400? You mentioned replacing just the relay in the fuse box, I am not able to do this myself, do KIA service departments or independent garages offer to do the relay replacement only?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The power lock relay is soldered onto the circuit board inside the fuse box, the picture I took and posted was one that I took apart to repair. You could remove the fuse box and find something like a computer repair shop that might do this for you but dealer and auto shops would just replace the fuse box. If you're handy with electronics and want to test this relay for certain I can tell you which plugs to unplug and what wires to ground and which ones to jump but you better be certain you're proficient or you will fry something else.
Yes the fuse box is $$$$ last I checked so that's why I went through the trouble of repairing it for $5.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
104 Posts
The power lock relay is soldered onto the circuit board inside the fuse box, the picture I took and posted was one that I took apart to repair. You could remove the fuse box and find something like a computer repair shop that might do this for you but dealer and auto shops would just replace the fuse box. If you're handy with electronics and want to test this relay for certain I can tell you which plugs to unplug and what wires to ground and which ones to jump but you better be certain you're proficient or you will fry something else.
Yes the fuse box is $$$$ last I checked so that's why I went through the trouble of repairing it for $5.
Not to derail the discussion of the original post, but this question popped into my head.........(Squirrel!)

If I had this problem, and I took my vehicle to the KIA dealer. I'm assuming the servicing dealer would sell me new fuse box assembly to fix the problem and not do the component repair of the relay replacement?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Not to derail the discussion of the original post, but this question popped into my head.........(Squirrel!)

If I had this problem, and I took my vehicle to the KIA dealer. I'm assuming the servicing dealer would sell me new fuse box assembly to fix the problem and not do the component repair of the relay replacement?
Yes they will replace the wholething. The Smart Junction Box that we call a fuse box really is a SJB because it has relays not just fuses and a processor and communication lines to other systems.
It is not a serviceable part unless you're electronically inclined like the kind of person that fixes circuit boards in your tv etc...

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
104 Posts
Yes they will replace the whole thing. The Smart Junction Box that we call a fuse box really is a SJB because it has relays not just fuses and a processor and communication lines to other systems.
It is not a serviceable part unless you're electronically inclined like the kind of person that fixes circuit boards in your tv etc...
Thanks for the reply to the description of the problem so individuals that can perform the repair, can do so. I'm still looking for a general repair guide for the 2020-2021 souls. There is the 'Snap-On' resource, but it can get pricey!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thanks for the reply to the description of the problem so individuals that can perform the repair, can do so. I'm still looking for a general repair guide for the 2020-2021 souls. There is the 'Snap-On' resource, but it can get pricey!
If you look hard enough there are people who have uploaded KGIS (Kia Global Information System) on here and a few other places and the factory manual and wiring diagrams (which is what we use at the dealership) is available to you at your fingertips.
I have also seen websites that sell the factory manuals for any car for around $20 (including my buddy's Lamborghini manual that I bought to rebuild his engine)

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you look hard enough there are people who have uploaded KGIS (Kia Global Information System) on here and a few other places and the factory manual and wiring diagrams (which is what we use at the dealership) is available to you at your fingertips.
I have also seen websites that sell the factory manuals for any car for around $20 (including my buddy's Lamborghini manual that I bought to rebuild T links.

Il Gen
I have also seen websites that sell the factory manuals for any car for around $20 (including my buddy's Lamborghini manual that I bought to rebuild his engine)
If there are service manual resources for the Gen3 (2020-2021) Kia Soul please show me a links!

I've searched and have found little. I did find the electrical pinout for the 10" radio that does seems to work for the 7" radio so I can test the radio I bought on ebay, so there is that.

I've found links to Gen2 Soul service manuals up to 2019 Kia Soul but nothing newer, besides the 2015-2020 Soul EV manual. But the EV Soul seems to be a completely different vehicle as compared to the gas powered Gen 3 Soul.

There is one link that I've found besides the KGIS web site (snap-on subscription) but they want $70.00 for the Gen3 service manual plus another $30 for the electrical diagrams for Gen 3. Not too pricey but for those prices I've purchased complete factory service manuals cheaper for other makes of vehicles, so I'm still searching. I might just do a 3 day snap-on subscription just to see how much I can download for the Gen3 Soul.

In the past I have acquired Nissan, Ford and other makes of service manuals for cheap but none yet for Kia Soul Gen 3.

Here are some of the links I've found:

Private message me if you don't want to reveal your links to the public. Any Info that you might have for the Gen3 Soul would be appreciated. - Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I get it now, unfortunately I’m not qualified to replace the relay myself; I know you can’t quote actual prices but being you showed four-dollar symbols I assume that means it’s over a thousand. I will likely be using an independent repair shop; I will mention soldering in a replacement relay but they will likely say no. One last question and I will let you go. If I was to find a replacement fuse box from a salvage vehicle how easy or not easy is it to remove and replace the fuse box, is it integrated into the wiring harness and or specific to the vehicle such as it would need to come from another Plus model with 2.0 engine and auto trans? Thank you

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Last I looked the fuse box was like $700 but sometimes you can get it cheaper online from dealers that discount.
I can replace it in about 15 minutes. You pop off the side panel on the dash, just push clips so pops right out, pop off the panel by your knees which is a couple of Phillips screws and some push clips and the only other thing you need is a 10mm socket for the couple of nuts that hold it in. Pull it towards you and undo a few connector on the front and rear and replace.
I would definitely see if you can source a used one. Keep in mind that you haven't done any testing and that I'm guessing it's that relay just because I've seen the exact symptoms on a Soul and a couple of Sorento before and it's been that relay. I actually jumper the power lock pins on the fuse box connector and if the locks work then I know all is good and the relay is bad.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This might help (look at schematic, read the part on the right about current flow). Since your locks will lock you can pretty much assume your wiring and lock actuators are fine considering they use the same set of wires the unlock relay just reverses the current flow to unlock.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There again I’m not really qualified to do any electronic diagnostics, that’s why I was thinking of just replacing it with a used unit (assuming it doesn’t have the same issue) just to see if that’s the problem. I would assume a used unit would be rather cheap since I doubt people are rushing to the salvage yards to get Soul fuse boxes, although I was able to find a source that showed new fuse boxes for only $184.00. I assume I should disconnect the battery for an hour or so to power down the Air Bag system so I don’t get any warning light issues.

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also bwdz75, not to worry if the relay is not the problem, I not going to complain or whine about it, you can only give your best advice based on experience, thank you for your help

1 - 20 of 28 Posts