Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Kia Soul and it came with the upgraded 8-speaker audio system with powered sub. I see the sub in the back and have verified that there are in fact 8 speakers (if you count the sub).

The problem I have is that in the features guide it says there should be an option for "Power Bass Setup". I don't see this option. Can anyone else verify if they have it or not with their factory powered sub setup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't believe I've seen this in my user's manual and I definitely do not have anything like this in my radio menus...
I agree this would be a useful feature though, as there is no way to separately increase/decrease sub output other than increasing bass globally, which does it for all speakers.
Kris

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually in the 'Features & Functions Guide' which was a 28 page brochure type thing that was in my glovebox.

I have included a scan of Page 11 that contains the information.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Perhaps this is available on cars WITHOUT the upgraded stereo (no sub).
So that the bass response can be enhanced since there are only 4 speakers...
Kris

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nitro - Does your system sound like it's amplified? The reason I think something is amiss with mine is that I know it's got the upgrade and there is sound coming out of the sub. But it's like it's not being pushed hard enough. Which leads me to believe it's because this setting isn't enabled in my head unit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you look closely at that section, you'll notice that the Power Bass option is indeed only applicable to the internally amplified 4-speaker systems. Those of us that have the upgraded system don't need the synthesized bass since we have that "massive" sub in the back.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look closely at that section, you'll notice that the Power Bass option is indeed only applicable to the internally amplified 4-speaker systems. Those of us that have the upgraded system don't need the synthesized bass since we have that "massive" sub in the back.
Thanks for the response but where do you see any wording that would indicate this applies to the 4-speaker systems? The way I read it (*If equipped) would assume "Power Bass Setup" would apply to systems with an amplifier....I could be wrong, but that's what I read into it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
On page 4-80 of the US Owner's Manual there is a list of the four possible head unit models that you could have in your Soul, and a list of the menu options that appear when you press the Setup button. There are two models with internal amps, and two models with external amps, one of each (amplified and unamplified) that has Bluetooth. Only the models with internal amplifiers (and coincidentally, less speakers) have the "P.BASS" option. On the next page (4-81) you will find the "POWER BASS(P.BASS)" heading. Quoting from that: "...this technology overcomes BASS limitations which my occur due to the limited number and size of speakers..." This combined with the information on the previous page leads me to believe that the option is unavailable on externally amplified models and is probably not needed.

Cheers.

And sorry for the wall of text...

Edit: I read this in the Owner's Manual, not the Quick Start guide.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ha!
I'm such a Sherlock!
Kris

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the clarification Cameo87!

So this means the upgraded audio has really crappy bass for an externally powered Sub. O well....I guess balanced sound is better than thump. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Heh, I agree omeyga, our bass is TERRIBLE! But we can't fit a decent box in the back without giving up all out cargo room. :eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I find the bass from the subwoofer acceptable, however, I think the entire system is way too midrangey. I've got the mid set at -5, the treble at 00, and it still sounds a bit tinny. Perhaps the speakers will 'break in' and start to sound a bit warmer.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We have the ! and we have that 'CLOCK", etc, menu shown in the book, and we also can adjust the EQ by just pushing the 'TUNE' button while the radio is on. Our bass makes the mirrors shake if it is turned up, which to me, is more than enough. But I am not one of those who wants to hear the license plate frames rattle ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Power Bass...

I have the base model Soul (with the non-bluetooth, 4-speaker, crappiest unit) and it has the Pbass submenu in the setup. It makes the 4-speaker setup sound really nice, especially at lower volumes. There are four settings, off, low, medium and high. What's best in my opinion is you can still press "tune" and adjust the "real" bass, mid-range and treble and then apply the "fake" bass, which never sounds distorted. I'm thinking of adding a powered subwoofer, like one of the models by Infiniti. We'll see!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've been schooled by Aibo! If you need any help with the stock or upgraded stereo, ask him. In short, there is no External Bass Amp, per seé. What it is, now that you have a sub, in the front as well as in the back, the internal amp has become an external amp in the upgraded stereo. It has 7 channels to power the front speakers, the front tweeters, the front sub, the rear speakers and the rear sub. I'm not certain of the amount of channels and output configuration.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts