Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2018 Soul Base and have a question, I can't find the answer in owners manual. Is there a way for the power adapters to stay on after the car has been turned off? I have some stuff in my car that needs to charge all the time and when I turn the car off all the power to the adapters cut off.

Thanks and be safe

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,910 Posts
No. When the key is off, the power to the adapters is off too.

You can use the search function on this site to find previous discussions on adapters. You might get some good ideas there.

All the best.

·
Registered
2019 Soul+ w/ Primo Package
91 Posts
You didn't mention what you are trying to power or charge, but have you thought about a power bank?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Sounds like you need to run a new or seperate circuit.
Certainly what some have done over the years in cars where the all power goes off with the key off.
I really have adapted to and use the power banks. They have reduced in price and can last a very long time. It can stay plugged in to power to be charged while driving, and keep items charging in the car when the car is not in use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly what some have done over the years in cars where the all power goes off with the key off.
I really have adapted to and use the power banks. They have reduced in price and can last a very long time. It can stay plugged in to power to be charged while driving, and keep items charging in the car when the car is not in use.
I guess I'm ignorant, where can I get one plz?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2018 Soul Base and have a question, I can't find the answer in owners manual. Is there a way for the power adapters to stay on after the car has been turned off? I have some stuff in my car that needs to charge all the time and when I turn the car off all the power to the adapters cut off.

Thanks and be safe
I do not recommend keeping power port on while the car is off. I accidentally did this in another vehicle recently and my car battery died after about 5 days of not driving it. Not a big deal if you drive your vehicle every day.
Instead of using the car to charge devices, you may consider a small portable solar charger.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks and be safe
Your best option is to buy a accessory cigarette lighter and connect it directly to the battery with the cables and install the cigarette lighter end inside your car wherever you prefer it to be. Some of these accessory cigarette lighter come on a bracket so you can screw the bracket at the bottom of the dash and not need to drill a hole the size of the cigarette lighter itself. Or you could just leave the cigarette lighter part laying loose in the front tray under the view screen for your stereo, etc. Your choice, whatever you like to do or easiest ion you?

·
Registered
2019 Soul+ w/ Primo Package
91 Posts
Circling back around to this thread. You did not indicate what you are trying to power, it's input requirements and current draw. Most "power bricks" are designed to output 5vdc; at an amperage specific to the charging technology and the intended target device.

If you are powering a device that requires 12vdc input, you will be looking for a different type of unit.

Reactions: manfreity

·
Registered
52 Posts

Thanks and be safe

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Soul is a 2014 Exclaim so it may be different than a 2018 Base. But according to Kia Corporation, the 12V outlet clear in the back of the vehicle is a 10-amp socket, the one up in the front of the car on the driver's side is a 10-amp socket, and that the one up in the front of the vehicle but on the passenger's side is a 15-amp socket. I had the Kia Dealership wire it so that the 15-amp one could be used when the car was turned off just in case of some kind of emergency. They charged me $75.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts