Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a car and the Soul has been my favorite test drive and want to hear some pros and cons from people who drive it full time before I pull the trigger. What trim, options you like, potential trouble spots to look out for, that sort of thing

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,583 Posts
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a car and the Soul has been my favorite test drive and want to hear some pros and cons from people who drive it full time before I pull the trigger. What trim, options you like, potential trouble spots to look out for, that sort of thing
Here's some threads with Gen 3 reading material.
Search results for query: Potential buyer

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The LX and LX with technology package is probably the best bang for your buck and will come with practically everything you need. All trims except for the turbo version come with a naturally aspirated 2.0L engine and IVT transmission (fancy word for CVT). If you’re looking for a turbo, get one soon because they have been discontinued for 2023 model year.

Some people like the Soul and some people don’t. If you like the way it looks and drives, that’s all that matters. I love both of mine, a 2011 and a 2019, and would buy another without hesitation.

Kia comes with one of the best warranties in the business when you buy it new. 5 year 60k bumper to bumper and 10 year 100K mile power train. So you’re covered if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The LX with the technology package and the S are the best value in my opinion. The LX with the technology package is pretty much the same as the ‘higher up’ S model and will probably be around the same MSRP. If you get a KIA just be prepared to change your oil often. I’ve had some issues with the Soul, but for the most part it was quality control issues like my tie rod was loose from the factory and the rubber around the windshield was coming up. I find the car fun to drive, comfortable seats, decent amount of interior space and the longer warranty gives me some peace of mind. If price point is your major factor for a Soul, you should also look into factory ordering the Ford Maverick ‘truck’ with the hybrid engine. If you get the base model hybrid it’s bigger and cheaper than the Soul with better MPG….. You will just have to wait 5 months to get it made and delivered.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We are driving our second Soul and love them.

Our first was a 2013 LX 1.6 Automatic bought new. We loved the flexibility of folding the rear seat down, spreading out the tarp, and filling up the back with mulch and dirt at Lowes. We took several long trips and it was quite comfortable. In the 95K miles we owned it, the only repairs needed were a new thermostat the first winter (free under warranty) and one license plate light bulb burned out. Other than than, just regular maintenance and wear/tear items - one set of brakes (front at 60K miles and rear at 90K miles) and two sets of tires.

Since we retired in 2019 and are empty-nesters, we planned on doing more traveling and traded in the '13 on a new '20 Soul LX with the IVT. It is even more solid and quiet than the '13. Same flexibility and cargo room, even more comfortable seats, and even better gas mileage. We average around 25MPG in stop-go city traffic, and easily get low to mid 30s MPG here in the mountains of West Virginia. On one trip to Wisconsin, we averaged 38MPG. I am surprised the Soul is one of the most affordable Kias.

I like that the '20 and newer models with the 2.0 engine went back to MPFI (Multi-Port Fuel Injection) instead of the Direct Injection. Although we had no drivability issues with the '13, carbon build up was always on my mind. Now, since I always use Top Tier fuel, that worry is gone.

There have been a small percentage of owners who have experienced catastrophic failure of the IVT transmissions or piston ring failures in the 2.0 engine. My thoughts on that are: 1) It seems like any other problem with any car on any car forum : the 10% of the people who have had problems are going to create 90% of the "noise". The 90% who don't have problems usually do not even join forums. 2) If you do have a problem with the IVT or engine, Kia has a great warranty and it will be taken care of. We only have 11K miles on our '20 Soul because we did not travel during the COVID pandemic. But, there are members here who have written in they have 30K-40K miles with no problems with their Gen3 Souls. That's reassuring.

Even Toyota and Honda have had major issues. Just go on their forums and look around. CVT failures, engines burning oil, engine oil dilution, etc. There is no 100% guaranteed perfectly reliable car model out there. For me, the Kia is as close as you can get.

Buy it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
2022 LX with Tech Package
59 Posts
I have the 2022 LX with Tech Package. Love it. No doubt. That headroom is absolutely awesome. I am 6'2" and hate being in sedans specially Civic. I would love to have better MPGs given the gas prices but I average out at 30 after driving 7500 miles. just did my first service today - Paid 41$ for oil. The dealer said I don't need the tire rotation after checking the alignment. Did MPI and found no issues.

If you have question feel free to ask.

Thanks!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a 2020 EX (Eco Dynamics) 13500 miles trouble free driving. I’m 6’7” and fit in it w room to spare. Love the car.

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Hey all,

Are you thinking of buying new or used?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Because used has a smaller warranty than the new car buyer gets.

Not to put words in your mouth, or at your fingertips, Geo. :)
Also be aware if you buy a cpo from a dealer you still get the 100k warranty. But the Kia warranty covers 5 years, 60k miles. The remainder of the warranty is a aftermarket warranty. Also the warranty begins the date the vehicle was bought new or in service date, not from the date you purchased it.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Fixed it for ya. Fine print. :ROFLMAO:

Also be aware if you buy a cpo from a dealer you still get the 100k warranty. But the Kia warranty covers 5 years, 60k miles. The remainder of the warranty is a aftermarket warranty. Also the warranty begins the date the vehicle was bought new or in service date, not from the date you purchased it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Good point , fine print, make sure you read it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Slight adjustment to that, at least with the Hyundai one I'll guess also with Kia.. (I didn't have one with my Soul)
There are some things, in particular the radio/UVO system included where the regular warranty is 3yrs, 36,000 miles. The extended warranty covers you from that period on for those items. (And I suppose depends which level of coverage you get) I used to be totally anti extended warranty but with today's electronics, and after negotiating the cost for it I feel now it is a decent investment. And if you sell your car that warranty goes with it so that should add value to the selling price. I'm not convinced it was the right financial move but I'm more comfortable that it was.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Because used has a smaller warranty than the new car buyer gets.

Not to put words in your mouth, or at your fingertips, Geo. :)
Sorry for being dense. I didn't see where the OP specified a new or used Soul, just that they were in the market for one.

Since they only made the one post and haven't come back (yet?), well, you know...

·
Registered
6 Posts
We are driving our second Soul and love them.

Our first was a 2013 LX 1.6 Automatic bought new. We loved the flexibility of folding the rear seat down, spreading out the tarp, and filling up the back with mulch and dirt at Lowes. We took several long trips and it was quite comfortable. In the 95K miles we owned it, the only repairs needed were a new thermostat the first winter (free under warranty) and one license plate light bulb burned out. Other than than, just regular maintenance and wear/tear items - one set of brakes (front at 60K miles and rear at 90K miles) and two sets of tires.

Since we retired in 2019 and are empty-nesters, we planned on doing more traveling and traded in the '13 on a new '20 Soul LX with the IVT. It is even more solid and quiet than the '13. Same flexibility and cargo room, even more comfortable seats, and even better gas mileage. We average around 25MPG in stop-go city traffic, and easily get low to mid 30s MPG here in the mountains of West Virginia. On one trip to Wisconsin, we averaged 38MPG. I am surprised the Soul is one of the most affordable Kias.

I like that the '20 and newer models with the 2.0 engine went back to MPFI (Multi-Port Fuel Injection) instead of the Direct Injection. Although we had no drivability issues with the '13, carbon build up was always on my mind. Now, since I always use Top Tier fuel, that worry is gone.

There have been a small percentage of owners who have experienced catastrophic failure of the IVT transmissions or piston ring failures in the 2.0 engine. My thoughts on that are: 1) It seems like any other problem with any car on any car forum : the 10% of the people who have had problems are going to create 90% of the "noise". The 90% who don't have problems usually do not even join forums. 2) If you do have a problem with the IVT or engine, Kia has a great warranty and it will be taken care of. We only have 11K miles on our '20 Soul because we did not travel during the COVID pandemic. But, there are members here who have written in they have 30K-40K miles with no problems with their Gen3 Souls. That's reassuring.

Even Toyota and Honda have had major issues. Just go on their forums and look around. CVT failures, engines burning oil, engine oil dilution, etc. There is no 100% guaranteed perfectly reliable car model out there. For me, the Kia is as close as you can get.

Buy it and enjoy it!
I understand the 90/10 ratio, but I have to respectfully disagree in the Kia/Hyundai engine case. There have been many recalls, and the Kia dealer in the Bay Area I talked to said they have new engines stacked up in the back ready to be installed. Kia has a “SWAT team” to go out to dealers to help with replacements when the dealers get backed up. I also heard about the stacked up engines from another source I trust too and this was in the mid-West. This is not normal. That said, my 2018 has been reliable, just having to go in for two recalls.

YMMV

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all,

I bought new a 2018 soul and am now close to 40k miles.I have had no issues with anything.I do my own oil and filter changes and tire rotations Am now changing cabin filter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts