Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Soulsters!

So I took my bebby girl to this guy who details cars "on the side." Warning: "on the side" is just code for jacka$$. I've noticed a white haze on the black parts of my Soul that won't come off with water. He also stained my driver seat with something that looks like oil, as the two spots never "dry". He refuses to admit his mistakes however, so if you're in the Burlington, Ontario area, do not give this genius any business.

Does anyone know what might be causing the haze and how I might get rid of it? I'm furious. :mad:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Typically, any wax that contacts the black trim areas turns to a haze or white.
A small scrub brush/nail brush/tooth brush (ho toothpaste please) and some soap & water should do the trick.
I recently waxed my wife's soul with nu-finish (contains no wax b.t.w.) I was careful but still managed to touch the black trim here or there.
White spots were the result. No biggie though, fairly easily removed.
The seat stains may be some type of protectorant used on the dash/door panels that accidentally spilled on the seats?
Try blotting it with a paper towel and/or a brown paper bag.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
Milkshake - where in Canada are you located - would be handy to know that on your location profile?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also have this white haze in the black part b pillar. How exactly do you get rid of this its been months. Tried soap but still there.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Usually a small scrub brush will break up the residue and remove it.
Depending on what it is, sometimes easier to scrub it dry then with soap/water.
It's usually just some wax residue caught up in the pebble grain of the black trim.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought some Mothers 'Back To Black'(for rubber/black plastic) about 4 years ago & used it a few times on my wifes 'ex'('08 Saturn VUE)when the car wash turned the black grill a spotty gray. Worked great. Have used it on the rubber triangle on Soul's rear side window with good results. Don't know if it's still available,but it works.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Peanut butter applied to the white areas where wax has gotten on black plastic trim also will help dislodge it. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so and then use the toothbrush method.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not sure if this is the same thing but I keep getting these white blotches after driving.. what I did use and works is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.. tho after a while it comes back as in new ones form..

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello people. I have a question about Kia,s plastic rocker panel covers on there 2015 Soul. I have cleaned it at the car wash but when it dries it looks terrible! It,s all blotchy looking. I have tried almost every thing to bring back the original shine but so far nothing works. my question is what do you guys use to make it look as good as the rest of the car? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Some creative cleaning ideas. This is great.
I used to do car shows with some earlier vehicles I owned.
I've been long over that part of my life for some time.
However,I have tried/tested out most products out there.
When I find one that works,I tend to stay with it.
On the OP'a white haze problem,this has been around for years.
Getting any polish/wax on "black" surfaces that are on every vehicle,
the B-pillars etc. Anything that has the low luster black plastic.
The polish is absorbed by the material.With these surfaces it is best
to leave them free of any protectorants.You will just end up with a spotchy
mess or an uneven shine.
First you must clean the surface. Some good ideas have already been offered.
Rubbing alcohol is also a good clean. If the part is beyond saving. I would lightly sand the
surface,clean with alcohol and repaint. Of course,if the part is not removable,mask around
and paint. The BEST paint I have found to restore these "black" parts to OEM quality is
DupliColor Trim black. It is available at all the auto part stores. Its good to use a coat of
DupliColor adhesionspray prior to doing the trim black.
Trust me,this stuff lasts forever.
Do not use on bumper material that is a softer material. On bumpers and areas like the small front
fender vent plastic,use a coating product. I may have mentioned a fantastic product for this before.
AUTO GLYM Vinyl&Rubber Care. This is miracle stuff. You will probably have to purchase online.
Several national auto chain did handle.Pep Boys for one. Possibly the price points were too high
or the general public was not aware of Auto Glym products(our friends in the U.K. should know.it's
made there). I bought 2 bottles several years ago at a mark down price of 3 bucks each.
They last forever. The product goes on as a milky liquid . It dries to a nice satin sheen.
I've found its best if you spray onto the surface,rub lightly with a sponge. Let sit onernite.
Great on tires too. Just spray on the tires. OK if just let it run a bit. Wipe off the wheels(does not hurt the
wheel finish at all). Let sit overnite. Great looking tires without the tacky looking high sheen .
Just a satin finish.
A bonus is,it lasts forever!
On the Soul,the B-pillars(at least on GEN1 )can get nasty because they get touched.
I solved this problem by installing carbon fiber covers(real CF ,not vinyl faux wrap).
They were a bit costly. But for the long term,worth it. The company that makes them
no longer produces them as a standard item. May do on special order.
Just like many aftermarket parts for the Soul. Little interest/too expensive,they are gone.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
hello people. I have a question about Kia,s plastic rocker panel covers on there 2015 Soul. I have cleaned it at the car wash but when it dries it looks terrible! It,s all blotchy looking. I have tried almost every thing to bring back the original shine but so far nothing works. my question is what do you guys use to make it look as good as the rest of the car? Thanks for your time.
See my post on Auto Glym vinyl&rubber care.
That will work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts