Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a couple of weeks ago, on the first really cold day, I had the check engine light come on. Used the UVO app and checked the code, possible stuck thermostat. Since I was due for an oil change, I took it in for both. They replaced the thermostat, oil change, and found 3 recalls. (Horn, Infotainment, and ECU). Everything other than the horn was taken care of (they had to order the part, and mine worked fine anyway).
A week later and another cold snap, check engine light comes on again, UVO reports same code. So another trip to get another thermostat, and the horn came in so they installed that also. They opened a case with Kia since they couldn't determine the cause (and both thermostats were fine). So Kia wants them to test the car from cold, meaning leaving it with them overnight. I schedule that, and on the day before I drop off, the check engine light comes on a 3rd time, same code.
After letting the car cold soak, still no idea of the cause, Kia tells them to install a new PCM. Dealer overnights the part, but unfortunately there are none in the country yet. (Yay for being an early adopter)
ETA is 2 weeks.
In the meantime, I've had a transmission fail on a brand new forte s (3k miles) that they loaned me. Now I'm driving a base Stinger until mine is ready.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
What do you think of the Stinger Deejay? If you play your cards right you might end up the food chain in a K900 loaner :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haim, yep. I thought maybe I should explain what 'overnight' means... eta is 2 weeks minimum

Geo, it drives REALLY nice. Same powertrain as the optima I traded for the Soul, but ride and handling is well beyond what the optima offered. It's loooooooong though, especially after getting used to a Soul again. Excellent car, all in all, and if they made a 2 door, they'd have me considering giving up my Soul again. If any of you get the chance to put some time behind the wheel of one, I highly recommend it. As for the K900, again too large for me, I have learned to appreciate the go-kart size of out little cars :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Stinger is quite low, which is one of the major factors that made me keep the Optima over Stinger. Can't see anyone who got used to high seating in the Soul go back to sitting practically on the ground. 😁

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A new observation. I miss the headlights in my Soul. I didn't really realize how much better the LED headlights are....

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
A new observation. I miss the headlights in my Soul. I didn't really realize how much better the LED headlights are....
The loaner Stinger doesn't have LEDs? Dang, I thought that would be standard on that car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's interesting what is in the base and what isn't. It has projection beam headlights, which aren't bad by any means, but do not compare to the Soul's LED headlights.
It has full leather, and heated seats, but not the steering wheel... all the safety features are present on the base too (smart cruise, blind spot, lane keep, rear cross traffic, forward collision, etc).
It does feel very German to drive. In the best ways possible.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I believe they added safety gadgets to the base as a separate package which Optima gets as standard. They are dropping all of this in 2020 for one 4 cyl option called a GT line, which should not be confused with GT-S trim. I miss the days when Kia would come in a base or premium trim.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More observations on the Stinger (I'm really starting to miss my blueberry)
I do NOT like the steering wheel. There are sharpish edges right where I put my hands, and is uncomfortable. (You'll have to put your hands on one to see what I mean, it's bizarre that this made it to production. It's under the leather, part of the wheel itself.)
I like the transmission. Much improved over what was in my optima.
Power is about the same as my soul, and previous optima.
Seats are very comfy.
Rear visibility is not really there. If you've driven a recent camaro, it's about that good....
Steering is fantastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts