Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Soul !
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried Google but can't find an answer. Does anyone know if frequent use of a portable jump starter harms the battery?

I've had problems with the battery since it was installed in 10/18 but lately it just wouldn't hold a charge. The AAA battery tech tested it and told me the battery was good, just needed a charge from a garage. Autozone charged it but that didn't help so I assumed it was the alternator or something else.

It took about two weeks from the day AAA tested it until I was able to bring it in and was told the battery was bad. During that period, I drove the car maybe every other day and had to use the portable jump starter every time and most days multiple times a day. So did that cause the the battery to fail or was the AAA tech wrong? Just wondering for future reference.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,983 Posts
Have you been able to have the alternator tested regina? They would do that with the engine running.

If it's bad or underperforming, even a new battery won't change things. Most auto parts stores will run out with a tester and check the alternator output for free.

Best of luck!

Reactions: AtlantaSoulMan

·
Registered
2011 Soul !
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GeoSoul, I brought the car to my local mechanic for what I thought was the alternator and they tested everything and said it was the battery. Then I took it back to the dealer since the battery was still under warranty and they tested everything too. The battery was replaced yesterday and I haven't tried to start the car today so I guess I'll see.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not sure how much frequent use it would take to harm jump-starting a battery, but technically, it could happen. Regardless, I recommend to everyone nowadays to pick up one of the ~iPhone-sized portable jump-packs. I own several and have used and loaned all with good results thus far.

Greg

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
320 Posts
Continually draining and then jumping a battery is not good for it. A bad alternator or charging system will take a battery with it and a bad battery will kill an alternator trying to keep up. Make sure everything else is up to par. Two years is a short time for a battery to last unless it was one that had been sitting on a shelf for a couple of yours before being bought. Good Idea to check the manufacturing date on the battery before buying. With batteries being sold now full of fluid and ready to go it might have been a year since it was filled and put up for sale. Slow boat from China and all that.

·
Registered
2011 Soul !
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg, I agree. It really was a lifesaver for me during this period.
Regina

·
Registered
2011 Soul !
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
plymouthcranbrook, Thanks. I now know that I should have done something about that battery when it first needed a charge one month after installation and then again two months later. I never even thought about it but I think you're right about it being an old battery. I have a photo of it and it's hard to see but it looks like the date was 2016, two years before they installed it. I'm going to check the date on this new battery when I go out later.
Regina

·
Registered
94 Posts
Regardless, I recommend to everyone nowadays to pick up one of the ~iPhone-sized portable jump-packs. I own several and have used and loaned all with good results thus far.
Is there a particular brand/model that you think is better than others?

·
Registered
2011 Soul !
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a particular brand/model that you think is better than others?
I can't speak for Greg but I think it depends on how much you want to spend and how much trust you put in reviews and "best of" lists. The only personal recommendations I got were for one of the $20 no-brand cell phone sizes for $20 and for an $80 Genius, neither of which I wanted. I needed mine quickly so I went with a $40 Tenker from Amazon. Worked out fine for me and they have real customer service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried Google but can't find an answer. Does anyone know if frequent use of a portable jump starter harms the battery?

I've had problems with the battery since it was installed in 10/18 but lately it just wouldn't hold a charge. The AAA battery tech tested it and told me the battery was good, just needed a charge from a garage. Autozone charged it but that didn't help so I assumed it was the alternator or something else.

It took about two weeks from the day AAA tested it until I was able to bring it in and was told the battery was bad. During that period, I drove the car maybe every other day and had to use the portable jump starter every time and most days multiple times a day. So did that cause the the battery to fail or was the AAA tech wrong? Just wondering for future reference.

either the battery holds a charge or it doesn't...

either the alternator charges it or it doesn't. take both in for testing

i suspect the battery, as the alternator will keep it going once it's started, if it's working

·
Registered
17 Posts
also, the amazon top reviewed jump kia have worked well for me. we always take one for road trips

1 - 14 of 14 Posts