Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my red 2010 soul got bumped from behind while i was parked. long story short, got a new rear bumper [insurance paid] but the bumper [and the red around the lights] are a shade darker than my car. when i complained, they showed me my front bumper, which is also a shade darker...can anyone with a red soul please check theirs and let me know if they see this on theirs? paint guy said one part was plastic and one was metal, hence the different colors. i don't buy it but honestly don't remember the front bumper [which was not damaged] being that much darker than the rest of the car before...PLEASE can someone advise...my insurance will examine it if i am not happy, and i can honestly say i don't feel the same way about the car...PLEASE if you own a red molten car, look at the rear bumper and the front bumper and tell me if they a shade darker than the rest of the car :mad:...thanks, soul lovers, btw i'm in Canada...
edit: just wanted to add that the car was parked underground for nearly 6 months while i recuperated from surgery, and so was not sitting out in the sun fading! please advise if you can...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Red Bumper

I have a red Soul and there is definately no difference in the colour of the bumpers compared to the rest of the body. It should make no difference if it is plastic. They need to prime coat it first and it should be the same primer colour as the rest of the car.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to work in an autobody shop and metal and plastic do show up different! It shouldnt be that bad though depends on the painter i guess? Just bitch until it gets fixed the right way!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks so much for yr input...sometimes i think a woman alone gets taken advantage of... i can see where the plastic and metal may paint differently, but shouldn't they be the experts and know how to handle it? :confused: also they told me they pre-painted my bumper cuz they had another red kia in the shop and they went by it, saying it matched perfectly...:p why didn't they match it to my car instead? :rolleyes: i knew this was gonna happen...sigh....

·
Registered
509 Posts
they told me they pre-painted my bumper cuz they had another red kia in the shop and they went by it, saying it matched perfectly
Sign #4 that you were in a Bad Body Shop. Complain until it matches your car -- and make sure they don't just paint over the existing red. You want it taken down to the original bumper material and then primed/repainted. Otherwise it will match -- just for a bit.

For what it's worth, however, in 5-10 years, it will be interesting to see how well even factory-applied paint has aged on plastic and metal. Don't be surprised to see a difference then. But the Soul is too new to accept such lax behavior.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank-you everybody for your input...i will be calling tomorrow to tell them to fix it or report them to the insurance...:mad: thanks for the advice about them taking it down to the original bumper but i don't know how i would enforce that. :confused:appreciate yr comments, thanks again!

·
Registered
509 Posts
thanks for the advice about them taking it down to the original bumper but i don't know how i would enforce that
Just act really interested about the process and ask them how they plan to change the color. If they don't outright mention how they're prepping the surface for new paint, ask them how they make sure the new paint will stick for a long time. You also could ask the person who did the claims adjustment for the insurance company. While insurance companies have as a goal paying the least required for a repair, they should be employing adjusters who know what is necessary to fix the problem correctly, so your asking independently ("just want to know the process") will help you understand what should be happening and what the insurance is willing to pay for.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Any repair work should have a warranty with it anyway (Its 3 years in the UK). If they prep it badly - it will show up well before that time and they will have to put it right..... just keep the receipts etc.

And as far as the colour match goes - just insist that it matched before and that if it dosent match now, it will devalue the car and you will point this out to the insurance company that supplied them the work.

But i would always expect a very slight colour variance between painted metal and painted plastic.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
thanks so much for yr input...sometimes i think a woman alone gets taken advantage of...
ya think :D is one of the reasons that i take the time to research whatever issue i have before i speak with any man when it comes to anything related to cars b/c we do :rolleyes: anyway - you definitely have some ground to stand on and i would take car to a top notch bodyshop in your area and get an estimate to have faulty work corrected b/c they will tell you what needs to be done and why, which you can relay to other shop etc - could even get two estimates so they can't dispute the one.... and if being nice does not work then pull out the b*tch card and throw out whatever organization you have in that area of the world that scares a business.. we have the attorney general and bbb here and you should have some sort of equivalent there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2010 Sport is Molten (bright red) and the plastic parts match the adjacent metal parts perfectly, Your problem points to a bad paint job. Plastic is different to paint than metal, but any reputable body shop should know how to make those colors match.

I know what you mean about women being treated different than men in car places. Here in Ohio, you can only have a car registered in one name, so my wife's car is registered in her name and my Soul is registered in my name. So, when she bought her last car (an '07 Ford Freestyle), I wanted to have her do the selection and dealing on the car. My health isn't too good and I want her to do some of these things before I have to go. She insisted that I accompany her to the dealer anyway and the salesman was a real a$$ and kept calling her 'Honey'. She's too soft-spoken to complain, but I saw red and said, finally, 'Listen you b-----d, she's my 'Honey' and if you don't start treating her with respect, I'm going to punch you in the mouth and we're walking out of here!' Embarrassed hell out of my wife, but he instantly changed his approach and we got on with the deal.

The moral, sad as it is, take a guy with you to help negotiate this repainting!

Good luck!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts