Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member here with a 2010 Kia Soul 2-litre with the 4-speed automatic transmission bought about 3 months ago with about 85k miles on it.

I have read a lot of conflicting posts, and am just trying to clarify info about servicing the AT on this vehicle:

I believe this transmission has a drain plug where you can drain 1/3 to 1/2 of the ATF out...correct? AT hold about 7.6 quarts, if I open the plug, how much do I get out? 3 quarts? 4 quarts?

I know there is a filter that can be serviced, but due to $$$, I have to keep this on the cheaper end, so if I do a few drain and fills, it should replenish most of the fluid eventually.

I know this unit takes Diamond SP-III fluid, any recs on what works best? My work has Castrol multi-vehicle import ATF that lists that sepc, any others work well?

Thanks for any info you can give...love this little car!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes, you have a drain plug. I would buy 7 quarts of KIA ATF. You are going to drain about 5 to 6 quarts. Never hurts to have a extra bottle around.....
Your transmission holds about 12 quarts of ATF.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....are you sure of the capacity? The 'guide' for that at my work says capacity is 7.6 quarts I think....

If it is up on ramps, will more or less drain out?

·
Registered
994 Posts
12 quarts of trans fluid in a KIA soul? You're about 4 quarts too much. I've used Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF, Mobil1 ATF, and KIA SP III (which is Dexron III). Any will work fine.
Greg

EDIT: any of those ATFs mentioned here.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
12 quarts of trans fluid in a KIA soul? You're about 4 quarts too much. I've used Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF, Mobil1 ATF, and KIA SP III (which is Dexron III). Any will work fine.
Greg

Is that so?
If this transmission is anything like the Hyundai 4 speed auto, they use plastic vanes in the converter which can be damaged by some atf's.
I remember reading (I know...I know, can't believe everything you read) that these a/t's were Hyundai/Kia fluid specific?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
the official ATF classification for the 2010 unit are - Diamond ATF SP-III, SK ATF SP-III, 6.6 litres for the 2.0L engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts