Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my breaking point. Let me preface with adding I have a son with autism and he has a fixation with electronics working properly. When they don’t it causes melt downs, other wise this would merely be an irritation.
I purchased 2022 Kia Soul. Had a 2020 Kia Soul. Had no problems with Apple CarPlay in the 2020 Model. As soon as I started driving the 2022 it has been nothing but trouble. Screen goes on and off, it doesn’t come on initially sometime, switches from blue tooth car play to phone over and over while on conversations, google maps suddenly stops working leaving me without directions, sometimes Siri’s voice sounds like it’s posessed, and sometimes voice options will not work at all.
I called Apple and they said make sure software always up to date, try resetting the phone, try re installing phone with kia blue tooth and finally if all else fails have dealership reboot car radio. I did all of that. Finally, dealership offered to replace the sterep but no radios available after months of waiting and no telling when they will have one. Kia has been having problems getting replacement parts for 2022 vehicles. Dealership offered to replace with new system from their 2022 Kia Soul loaner car. They did that. Same problems. I’m desperate for advice. I can’t take the melt downs any more.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and follow up question - has the dealer tried swapping the usb port? Maybe you have a bad usb port?
Thank you for the suggestions. Yes I purchased a new usb cable and it is an Apple cable. I would check the usb but I don’t think it’s that because the 2022 does not require the phone to be plugged in for Bluetooth. Either with or without it has problems. So frustrating.

· Registered
35 Posts
Ahhh, my 2022 doesn’t come with wireless CarPlay (only some models do). I wonder if it’s somehow related to you having that option. If you don’t allow it to connect via Bluetooth and only connect via wired usb, does it still happen? I wonder if it’s bouncing between the wired and wireless connection

· Registered
243 Posts
Ahhh, my 2022 doesn’t come with wireless CarPlay (only some models do). I wonder if it’s somehow related to you having that option. If you don’t allow it to connect via Bluetooth and only connect via wired usb, does it still happen? I wonder if it’s bouncing between the wired and wireless connection
My 2020 Kia Soul had problems with Bluetooth connection. It would jump around with problems of staying on one setting. In addition the phone became quite warm, I changed to a six inch USB cable which resulted in its intended performance. You are asked before first use if it’s Android or Apple. Excuse me for suggesting an obvious procedure.

· Registered
701 Posts
Try cleaning the charging/data port on the iPhone. It may have lint in it. I had that problem a bout 2 months ago and cleaning the port solved the problem, there are some YouTube videos on how to do it.

· Registered
2022 LX with Tech Package
127 Posts
I have the 2022 LX trim which has wireless CarPlay. The only issue I have ever had is sometimes the phone would get disconnected. That's all.. Not all other issues that you mentioned. I am fairly new to Kia myself so maybe updating the console software will help?

Sorry for the frustration.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that sounds like it might be possible. I’m going to the dealership today. I will ask them that. They mentioned possibly the antenna.

My 2020 Kia Soul had problems with Bluetooth connection. It would jump around with problems of staying on one setting. In addition the phone became quite warm, I changed to a six inch USB cable which resulted in its intended performance. You are asked before first use if it’s Android or Apple. Excuse me for suggesting an obvious procedure.
Thanks for sharing! I have an apple phone. I tried purchasing a new usb cable and made sure it was specific to apple brand and it unfortunately made no difference. I use it with the cable or not the problem still persists.

I have the 2022 LX trim which has wireless CarPlay. The only issue I have ever had is sometimes the phone would get disconnected. That's all.. Not all other issues that you mentioned. I am fairly new to Kia myself so maybe updating the console software will help?

I’m glad to hear you are not having any problems. The dealership tried that before replacing the radio. So frustrating! Hopefully they can figure this out.

Sorry for the frustration.

· Registered
38 Posts
I am at my breaking point. Let me preface with adding I have a son with autism and he has a fixation with electronics working properly. When they don’t it causes melt downs, other wise this would merely be an irritation.
I purchased 2022 Kia Soul. Had a 2020 Kia Soul. Had no problems with Apple CarPlay in the 2020 Model. As soon as I started driving the 2022 it has been nothing but trouble. Screen goes on and off, it doesn’t come on initially sometime, switches from blue tooth car play to phone over and over while on conversations, google maps suddenly stops working leaving me without directions, sometimes Siri’s voice sounds like it’s posessed, and sometimes voice options will not work at all.
I called Apple and they said make sure software always up to date, try resetting the phone, try re installing phone with kia blue tooth and finally if all else fails have dealership reboot car radio. I did all of that. Finally, dealership offered to replace the sterep but no radios available after months of waiting and no telling when they will have one. Kia has been having problems getting replacement parts for 2022 vehicles. Dealership offered to replace with new system from their 2022 Kia Soul loaner car. They did that. Same problems. I’m desperate for advice. I can’t take the melt downs any more.
I have a 21 Soul for a year now, and could never get the Android auto play to work properly. Screen just keeps going on and off.

· Registered
243 Posts
My Kia Soul is new a 2022 so Appleplay only connects via Bluetooth so the USB cable doesn’t work even though I tried it many times.
My Kia Soul is new a 2022 so Appleplay only connects via Bluetooth so the USB cable doesn’t work even though I tried it many times.
Wish I had an answer. My Soul is new 2022 and the iPhone is an XR and no problem with the USB cable connection. I think I had to program it in to the car.

· Registered
5 Posts
Interesting, both service department techs at two different Kia dealerships told me that in the new 2022 Kia Souls that USB cables are not required as they connect wirelessly via Bluetooth. Although originally the salesperson who sold me the car told me to buy a Apple Brand USB in order to connect with Appleplay, go figure that they themselves are confused.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone had any success with dealerships repairing or replacing Appleplay connectivity issues with a recent iPhone in the 2022 Kia Soul?
Wish I had an answer. My Soul is new 2022 and the iPhone is an XR and no problem with the USB cable connection. I think I had to program it in to the car.
Interesting, both service department techs at two different Kia dealerships told me that in the new 2022 Kia Souls that USB cables are not required as they connect wirelessly via Bluetooth. Although originally the salesperson who sold me the car told me to buy a Apple Brand USB in order to connect with Appleplay, go figure that they themselves are confused.
so after 6 months of dealing with this very problem with my 2022 Kia SouI, I can share some info.

I had numerous problems with connectivity (screen going from Apple screen to non connected screen Over and over, screen going from Apple screen to black screen only, phone calls going in and out from Bluetooth connection, directions going in and out, attempting to fix screen but just looping over and over not allowing a connection, and screen not changing from completely black screen.

Although, the 2022 Kia Soul does not need to be connected to a USB to function, I was told to purchase an Apple USB just to see if helped. No difference

I was told to have my phone (Apple XR) Factory Reset. Made no difference

I was told to bring phone to Apple store and make sure it was functioning correctly. I did that and the rep said nothing wrong with phone after running some tests.

I was told to have the service dept. Update the software for the car. They did and it made no difference (Kia dealership)

Finally, the service department replaced the whole stereo system with one from another 2022 Kia Soul that they just received to be used as a loaner car. Kia had no stereo systems and there has been a shortage of kia parts. One guy had defective airbags and could not get them replaced because the company had none. The new system had All of the same problems.

Dealership had service guy drive car and he said he had no problems but he used an android phone. Apparently no one had an Apple phone . Not sure why they wasted my time with that when it’s apple play and I use an Apple phone.

Finally I recorded a video of some of the problems and on two separate occasions I called the service department and they heard the connection go in and out from Bluetooth over and over.

The service department now shared that the 2022 kia souls have been having numerous problems with Apple car play. They asked that I leave the car with them for a few days. I guess they have to do that in order for kia to authorize whatever fix they plan on attempting next. Which they themselves are stumped by the problem.

im sorry to say I do not see any possible way to fix these Apple CarPlay problems until Kia figures out what the problem is and how to fix it Because the kia dealership service department I use has tried everything.

hopefully you all have better luck

· Registered
5 Posts
so after 6 months of dealing with this very problem with my 2022 Kia SouI, I can share some info.

I had numerous problems with connectivity (screen going from Apple screen to non connected screen Over and over, screen going from Apple screen to black screen only, phone calls going in and out from Bluetooth connection, directions going in and out, attempting to fix screen but just looping over and over not allowing a connection, and screen not changing from completely black screen.

Although, the 2022 Kia Soul does not need to be connected to a USB to function, I was told to purchase an Apple USB just to see if helped. No difference

I was told to have my phone (Apple XR) Factory Reset. Made no difference

I was told to bring phone to Apple store and make sure it was functioning correctly. I did that and the rep said nothing wrong with phone after running some tests.

I was told to have the service dept. Update the software for the car. They did and it made no difference (Kia dealership)

Finally, the service department replaced the whole stereo system with one from another 2022 Kia Soul that they just received to be used as a loaner car. Kia had no stereo systems and there has been a shortage of kia parts. One guy had defective airbags and could not get them replaced because the company had none. The new system had All of the same problems.

Dealership had service guy drive car and he said he had no problems but he used an android phone. Apparently no one had an Apple phone . Not sure why they wasted my time with that when it’s apple play and I use an Apple phone.

Finally I recorded a video of some of the problems and on two separate occasions I called the service department and they heard the connection go in and out from Bluetooth over and over.

The service department now shared that the 2022 kia souls have been having numerous problems with Apple car play. They asked that I leave the car with them for a few days. I guess they have to do that in order for kia to authorize whatever fix they plan on attempting next. Which they themselves are stumped by the problem.

im sorry to say I do not see any possible way to fix these Apple CarPlay problems until Kia figures out what the problem is and how to fix it Because the kia dealership service department I use has tried everything.

hopefully you all have better luck

Thanks! Incredible that you have had almost identical problems with your Kia Soul and connecting with Appleplay. Even though this is a persistent universal problem specifically with the Kia Soul the dealerships deny responsibility. In my case the only feature I needed to work in my new Kia is Appleplay. My insurance company reviewing my driving safety skills to determine my premium cost noted that I was hand holding the iPhone while driving a safely issue had Appleplay worked on the Kia Soul display panel wouldn’t be an issue.Who wants to have to hand hold the iPhone to manipulate the phone’s settings while driving?

So I exchanged e-mails with a law firm that specializes in Lemmon Laws being it is a new car I purchased only 5 months ago and they will take my case and assume the litigation costs as they seem certain that I will ultimately prevail.

Perhaps you could also benefit from doing the same since we have exhausted all reasonable avenues? It is my last resort as I paid to have a working Appleplay.

· Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! Incredible that you have had almost identical problems with your Kia Soul and connecting with Appleplay. Even though this is a persistent universal problem specifically with the Kia Soul the dealerships deny responsibility. In my case the only feature I needed to work in my new Kia is Appleplay. My insurance company reviewing my driving safety skills to determine my premium cost noted that I was hand holding the iPhone while driving a safely issue had Appleplay worked on the Kia Soul display panel wouldn’t be an issue.Who wants to have to hand hold the iPhone to manipulate the phone’s settings while driving a very real safety concern.

So I exchanged e-mails with a law firm that specializes in Lemmon Laws being it is a new car I purchased only 5 months ago and they will take my case and assume the litigation costs as they seem certain that I will ultimately prevail.

Perhaps you could also benefit from doing the same since we have exhausted all reasonable avenues? It is my last resort as I paid to have a new car working with Appleplay.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! Incredible that you have had almost identical problems with your Kia Soul and connecting with Appleplay. Even though this is a persistent universal problem specifically with the Kia Soul the dealerships deny responsibility. In my case the only feature I needed to work in my new Kia is Appleplay. My insurance company reviewing my driving safety skills to determine my premium cost noted that I was hand holding the iPhone while driving a safely issue had Appleplay worked on the Kia Soul display panel wouldn’t be an issue.Who wants to have to hand hold the iPhone to manipulate the phone’s settings while driving a very real safety concern.

Perhaps you could also benefit from doing the same since we have exhausted all reasonable avenues? It is my last resort as I paid to have a new car working with Appleplay.
I hope everything works out for you!!! You can also use this thread to verify you are not the only one with this problem. If that helps your case, you can contact me.
For now I’m going to try working with the dealership. they have been really good and they say if kia can’t offer them a fix then kia will buy back the car. If not, I will definitely contact an attorney.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts