Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen on eBay a set that has the LED DRL strip on this upper edge of the headlamp assembly. Can these be swapped, plug in and play from the plain assembly? Sorry if this is a newbie question.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
95 reads and no one knows the answer....come on, someone knows if I can do this swap successfuly. Bueller??

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Seems strange but I thought I had just posted on this question. Anyway, no one that I know of has installed this type of DRL on a soul. The strip that is up there Positioning Lights), assuming we are talking about the gen 2, operates with the headlight switch but does not operate as a DRL. On the base and plus cars there is nothing up there, so you can wire it anyway you want. There are some folks that have installed Phillips four or eight DRL strips on their cars and they seem to work fine and look pretty good also. There is a video on YouTube about installation on a Soul for the Phillips Four.

·
Registered
838 Posts
There is a circuit for DRL in the fuse box. Does anyone have a Service manual and can check if we have a DRL circuit available and if so what color the wire is?

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
There is a circuit for DRL in the fuse box. Does anyone have a Service manual and can check if we have a DRL circuit available and if so what color the wire is?
Perhaps the Canadian version does, they have the DRLs as standard equipment there but it is in the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Perhaps the Canadian version does, they have the DRLs as standard equipment there but it is in the headlight assembly.
Exactly and I'm thinking there is a good chance Kia uses the same wiring harness. I have a fuse labeled "DRL" and it has a fuse in it - 10A I think. I In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the wire is in the connector. Maybe it's time to break out the multimeter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly and I'm thinking there is a good chance Kia uses the same wiring harness. I have a fuse labeled "DRL" and it has a fuse in it - 10A I think. I In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the wire is in the connector. Maybe it's time to break out the multimeter.
Please post up your findings when done. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
From my discussion with a Kia tech on Optima forum, a fuse is not an indicator that you have the wiring in place for this fuse, as it may control other things in the car. The only way to know for sure is to unplug the connector to the headlight and count the number of pins. Then match those pins to the wiring diagram. I could get a copy of the diagram from the tech where they number each pin. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
838 Posts
From my discussion with a Kia tech on Optima forum, a fuse is not an indicator that you have the wiring in place for this fuse, as it may control other things in the car. The only way to know for sure is to unplug the connector to the headlight and count the number of pins. Then match those pins to the wiring diagram. I could get a copy of the diagram from the tech where they number each pin. Stay tuned.
That would be helpful. There are a couple of connectors to the headlight, but all the wires feeding the connector that powers the LED array are very visible so we have the count and colors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get the diagram? I'm still tuned.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The Canadian model use the high beam bulb with a reduced voltage for the DRLs.

Pat.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Whew!
Just gotta wonder.is adding DRL's to the stock headlight assembly worth
all this investigation and trouble?

So,you now have DRL's.
What happens?
Vehicle is safer?
Maybe looks cool?

Just sayin...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's human nature to want something we don't have. Personally, I stay away from mods I cannot see, feel or touch.
So true...

I have been guilty of this many times.
Still do

Don't care if its a functional change or cosmetic.
I try to do a mock up or test of sorts before I make
the investment. Just to see if it will work or look good.

The results are usually 50/50.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts