Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I'm on my second 2020 Soul. The first one got totaled by a Chevy Blazer hitting her in the rear at 50+mph, not by a piston ring. She had performed famously for ~35k miles. I'm now on my second 2020 Soul, and I've put about 8k on her, with narry a problem. She passed all her tests before I ever took her home.
I have a very good KIA Dealer, and I'm confident that if I do have any problems with the engine, they will take care of it.
In the mean time, I'm just enjoying the Heck out of this little car.
However, I test drove a 2023 Soul LX, and I really liked the "Feel" of it. Even better than my 2020. It was the $33k price tag that stopped me in my tracks. These great little cars have really gotten EXPENSIVE!

I think they should declare the 2023 as a Gen-4. It's just SO much different than the 2020.
Looks different and FEELS different too.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A $33k Soul LX is your dealer price gouging. The MSRP is still under $20k even if it has the LX technology package. Kia USA really needs to do something about these scum dealerships. Maybe punish them by sending them all the left over Rios and nothing else until they get in line.

·
Registered
508 Posts
After going thru all these Hyunkia fiasco's regarding engine failures within both companies, I would never trade-in either vehicle for another 2023 Hyunkia product.

Enuf Is Enuf!! Another Foreign brand is in our future. Just waiting to see an ounce or two of showroom vehicles again on dealership lots. Doesn't need to be a 100 vehicle backlog either. I can choose something from a row of 25 various models - a few vehicles of each model (I'm not fussy), at places like Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Subaru.

• Haha
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
289 Posts
After going thru all these Hyunkia fiasco's regarding engine failures within both companies, I would never trade-in either vehicle for another 2023 Hyunkia product.

Enuf Is Enuf!! Another Foreign brand is in our future. Just waiting to see an ounce or two of showroom vehicles again on dealership lots. Doesn't need to be a 100 vehicle backlog either. I can choose something from a row of 25 various models - a few vehicles of each model (I'm not fussy), at places like Honda, Toyota, Nissan or Subaru.
Did the engine fail on both your Kia and Hyundai?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 2020 Ex has a build date of 6/19 and I'm a little concerned. It doesn't burn oil and has been 100% trouble free but I only have 6,800 miles on the odometer.
my 2020 kia soul s with 7800 miles just gave up the ghost, needs new engine. i had no idea about the recall till a few wks ago so i wasn't suspicious but i would def say my oil was nasty looking, way too dark but my first kia so wasn't sure what to think. anyway, if u think that too, might wanna get checked sooner than later.

·
Registered
652 Posts
my 2020 kia soul s with 7800 miles just gave up the ghost, needs new engine. i had no idea about the recall till a few wks ago so i wasn't suspicious but i would def say my oil was nasty looking, way too dark but my first kia so wasn't sure what to think. anyway, if u think that too, might wanna get checked sooner than later.
When was your Soul made? The info is on the builder’s plate on the drivers side door post.
Did you buy it new or used? And if used. Private sale or through a dealer. I ask because if you bought it new or through a Kia dealer you should have received a recall notice last year.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
289 Posts
Are you saying your 2020 Soul never got the recall?

·
Registered
79 Posts
A $33k Soul LX is your dealer price gouging. The MSRP is still under $20k even if it has the LX technology package. Kia USA really needs to do something about these scum dealerships. Maybe punish them by sending them all the left over Rios and nothing else until they get in line.
yeah that's just insane price holy cow! idk if it's cuz of covid like everyone blames it for everything or what but that's crazy. i bought my 2020 leftover for under $17K out the door, tax and all!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you saying your 2020 Soul never got the recall?
yeah i didn't know about the recall at all till i'd scheduled it for maintenance, they told me then. it is possible they tried to mail me something but i moved to another state a few months ago so maybe go lost in the mail forwarding process. i wasn't worried when i read up on it, the car was still fine and i figured it the odds were low...but surprise!

how did u get notified?

·
Registered
79 Posts
When was your Soul made? The info is on the builder’s plate on the drivers side door post.
Did you buy it new or used? And if used. Private sale or through a dealer. I ask because if you bought it new or through a Kia dealer you should have received a recall notice last year.
i did buy it from a dealership in nov 2020 and i didn't start moving/messing with my mail until apr 22. i didn't get anything from the dealership :( i'm still wondering how folks were notified...email? snail mail?? phone call??

i would look at the door but it's 60 miles away at the dealership, since it was a leftover it was prob made in 2019 (just guessing).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
i did buy it from a dealership in nov 2020 and i didn't start moving/messing with my mail until apr 22. i didn't get anything from the dealership :( i'm still wondering how folks were notified...email? snail mail?? phone call??

i would look at the door but it's 60 miles away at the dealership, since it was a leftover it was prob made in 2019 (just guessing).
Kia America sent out letters in the mail. If you bought it new, they should have known your address. The letter was sent out well before 4/22, not sure exactly but I think it was early 2021.

In the back of your owners manual there’s a little change of address/new owner card you can fill out and mail to Kia America to update your address, or ask your dealer. Because you should have received the letter for the recalls.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kia America sent out letters in the mail. If you bought it new, they should have known your address. The letter was sent out well before 4/22, not sure exactly but I think it was early 2021.

In the back of your owners manual there’s a little change of address/new owner card you can fill out and mail to Kia America to update your address, or ask your dealer. Because you should have received the letter for the recalls.
wow that's a while, would've only had the car a few months. would've been way easier for me to take care of it b4 i moved as well cuz went from big city with lots of dealerships to middle of nowhere, 80 miles to 1 or only 2 dealerships in the entire state...no ubers lol. i've spoken to kia customer service recently and made sure they had the new one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought a 2022 Kia Soul in May 2022, wife has been driving it for almost 5 months, it has 3k miles on it, wife just driving it out driveway a week ago, crazy engine vibrations, check engine light, stalled on side of the road. I waited a few min, started it up, check engine light on, drove it back 100 yds into my driveway. brought it to Kia dealership, 3 days later they told me cylinders are scored, needs a new engine. Guess its not just the 2020's, or they had some left over rings they put in some newer ones... =/ Dealership is trying to get Kia to approve new engine but they keep asking for more info and more tests. it's been about a week now. Dealership said they would try to get me a loaner once new engine gets approved but they don't have one now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bought a 2022 Kia Soul in May 2022, wife has been driving it for almost 5 months, it has 3k miles on it, wife just driving it out driveway a week ago, crazy engine vibrations, check engine light, stalled on side of the road. I waited a few min, started it up, check engine light on, drove it back 100 yds into my driveway. brought it to Kia dealership, 3 days later they told me cylinders are scored, needs a new engine. Guess its not just the 2020's, or they had some left over rings they put in some newer ones... =/ Dealership is trying to get Kia to approve new engine but they keep asking for more info and more tests. it's been about a week now. Dealership said they would try to get me a loaner once new engine gets approved but they don't have one now.
geesh, 3K miles!?!?! that's a bummer i totally feel for you. i had to just put it out of my mind while they did their thing, whenever they got time (sigh), it was way too stressful otherwise. i'm sure it'll workout, its practically new of course they're going to honor the warranty. i got a rental car as a loaner, i'm sure they charge that back to corporate under the warranty. hopefully they'll be calling with your reservation soon.

recalls don't happen till the see enuf of the same problem to investigate at a higher level. a bit early for the 22s but i wouldn't be surprised :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
also i had to do this national fire report was very weird and they made me talk to 3 ppl about it (on diff days was like 3 diff levels of ppl starting with kia corporate). cuz it smoked... but i guess some are actually catching fire too and lawd knows if i was on the hwy doing 75 might have but luckily was close to home. it just messed with my head more tho cuz i wondered if it had to do with the warranty at first and they asked me tons of questions, do you smoke in the car, carry explosives, flammables, firearms, etc. felt like an interrogation. but it still worked out so don't let them drive u nuts is all, deep breaths...

·
Registered
3 Posts
also i had to do this national fire report was very weird and they made me talk to 3 ppl about it (on diff days was like 3 diff levels of ppl starting with kia corporate). cuz it smoked... but i guess some are actually catching fire too and lawd knows if i was on the hwy doing 75 might have but luckily was close to home. it just messed with my head more tho cuz i wondered if it had to do with the warranty at first and they asked me tons of questions, do you smoke in the car, carry explosives, flammables, firearms, etc. felt like an interrogation. but it still worked out so don't let them drive u nuts is all, deep breaths...
Thanks for info, yea i'm not sure how good my dealership is, if they didn't provide all info, of course Kia will try to get out of replacing engines, they probably don't want to admit it is still happening but if they replace enough of the 2022's, then like you said, they probably have to create a recall. Luckily we have another car for my wife to use, so it isn't a big deal, but my wife is asking me every day, any news on my car? I'm like its going to take months! stop asking! :)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Thanks for info, yea i'm not sure how good my dealership is, if they didn't provide all info, of course Kia will try to get out of replacing engines, they probably don't want to admit it is still happening but if they replace enough of the 2022's, then like you said, they probably have to create a recall. Luckily we have another car for my wife to use, so it isn't a big deal, but my wife is asking me every day, any news on my car? I'm like its going to take months! stop asking! :)
Kia does not try to get out of replacing engines. Kia is the only manufacturer that replaces them when a known defect exists, just ask Theta 2 owners who get free engines regardless of mileage and even got engines when cars had 250k miles on them. The piston ring problem was definitely an issue at first and engines were replaced, those have pretty much been cycled out and there are only few left and you can see that on this or other forums with the posts regarding the issue being frequent 2 years up to about a year ago and now just a post here or there complaining about it. So Kia addressed the issue and the engines were replaced. There are always flukes, just an assembly issue or something else. That's why you have warranties. The 2022s do not have a known manufacturer defect, it may have just been a one off faulty engine and I can't find any other posts about a 2022 having piston ring issues so you guys are not doing anyone any favors by lumping them into the same issue category by using speculation instead of facts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kia does not try to get out of replacing engines. Kia is the only manufacturer that replaces them when a known defect exists, just ask Theta 2 owners who get free engines regardless of mileage and even got engines when cars had 250k miles on them. The piston ring problem was definitely an issue at first and engines were replaced, those have pretty much been cycled out and there are only few left and you can see that on this or other forums with the posts regarding the issue being frequent 2 years up to about a year ago and now just a post here or there complaining about it. So Kia addressed the issue and the engines were replaced. There are always flukes, just an assembly issue or something else. That's why you have warranties. The 2022s do not have a known manufacturer defect, it may have just been a one off faulty engine and I can't find any other posts about a 2022 having piston ring issues so you guys are not doing anyone any favors by lumping them into the same issue category by using speculation instead of facts.
The fact is my car has piston ring issues that has screwed my engine. And you are also speculating that this is a one off. How do you know the 2022s manufacturer defect is just not known yet because not enough people have had it happen yet. All I know is my car needs a new engine. Maybe it was a one off, which is what i've been telling my wife, i'm not sure if machines put everything together (including engine piston rings) or if some worker was tired and didn't get the clearance correct. The only facts that I know for sure, I paid 25k for a car for my wife, have made 4 payments and now we don't have a car for who knows how many months.

Regarding your first statement, I'll let you know in a few months if Kia actually replaced the engine (like the dealership said needs to happen) or not. Then in 6-8 months, we can see if there really was a problem with the 2022's.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts