Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
363 Posts
Your signature says you have a 2021, I am not aware of any oil consumption campaign for the MPI engine in the gen3 that would require the 1k mile consumption test. I'll check again later but any that I've had I just pulled the plugs out and put a bore scope in the cylinders and believe me that if it's got the bad rings it is painfully obvious on the scope. 10 minutes and I could tell you if it's bad. The oil consumption check is for the GDI engines that get sticky rings from carbon. I will have to check and see if the MPI is now included in that but it wasn't before so maybe there's something new out that I didn't see yet.
Thanks. I did realise JUST before I got to the dealer to pick it up again that the person driving it the 1000 miles is me. Duh! But the text arrived saying "we will do a factory oil change then drive the car 1000 miles...." It was misfiring on #4, and the oil was 1.5 quarts low (2000 miles after a change, and I had added a quart since then anyway.

I'll keep this thread updated when it goes back for its second look.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
So I looked it up and the procedure does cover the MPI 21 model, I can't imagine why it covers any MPI model but it does. Given the low mileage and being an MPI motor I just see this as a waste of my time to be sending people out without taking the few minutes with the borescope to peek in there. My scope has 2 cameras, one faces down and the other to the side so I can see if the cylinder walls are scratched very well. The engines that did consume oil had typically just one or two cylinders with very visible score marks and were submitted and replaced quickly. I hope they are able to get you a resolution without much delay.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
363 Posts
So I looked it up and the procedure does cover the MPI 21 model, I can't imagine why it covers any MPI model but it does. Given the low mileage and being an MPI motor I just see this as a waste of my time to be sending people out without taking the few minutes with the borescope to peek in there. My scope has 2 cameras, one faces down and the other to the side so I can see if the cylinder walls are scratched very well. The engines that did consume oil had typically just one or two cylinders with very visible score marks and were submitted and replaced quickly. I hope they are able to get you a resolution without much delay.
Thanks - they were very upfront about everything, and explained carefully what was happening so the Old Phart could understand. :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
No idea. :) It's a 2021 LX manual but whether it was built on a Monday in April or not I don't know.
The VIN tag on your drivers door jam will have month and year of manufacture. If it was made before 10/20 you probably have the piston ring issue.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Our 2020 Soul passed the initial recall inspection, so we felt we were in the clear by now with 14K miles. Then it just started shaking violently on startup, throwing the P0304 Code. Dealer scoped the cylinder walls and saw scoring in cylinder 4. That one off event has become a regular feature now.

Any suggestions how to make Kia make good on their warranty? What exactly would the best "fix" look like? Any suggestions? Thanks.
My 2020 Kia S model was on the piston ring recall notice and it checked out ok. A knock sensor was due to be installed. At the time I had 20,000 trouble free miles. I decided on a “fix” for the potential problem. I traded it in for a 2022 EX for a very good trade in value. Even though the engine would be replaced under warranty if problems occurred I didn’t trust the car anymore. It would be my luck to break down at night, snowing at 10 degrees below zero, on a dark stretch of highway.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,874 Posts
My 2020 Ex has a build date of 6/19 and I'm a little concerned. It doesn't burn oil and has been 100% trouble free but I only have 6,800 miles on the odometer.
I know it can be tough, but try not to worry. Anticipatory anxiety about something that may or may not happen (statistically it won't) and that is out of your control can ruin an otherwise great ownership experience.

Remember that burning oil is a slow, easy to recognize symptom that you are already knowledgeable about. That puts you ahead of the game. IF you see it happening, it won't be some catastrophic middle of the road blow up that happens to those who never check their oil.

You'll then have plenty of time to address any problem through the warranty process.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I know it can be tough, but try not to worry. Anticipatory anxiety about something that may or may not happen (statistically it won't) and that is out of your control can ruin an otherwise great ownership experience.

Remember that burning oil is a slow, easy to recognize symptom that you are already knowledgeable about. That puts you ahead of the game. IF you see it happening, it won't be some catastrophic middle of the road blow up that happens to those who never check their oil.

You'll then have plenty of time to address any problem through the warranty process.

Happy motoring!
Man that is a great way to put it. About 7 years ago I bought a Porsche Boxster that has the dreaded IMS bearing that grenades the engine and everyone asked me if I was going to replace it right away for a safe peace of mind, 7 years later and I still don't think about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 2020 Ex has a build date of 6/19 and I'm a little concerned. It doesn't burn oil and has been 100% trouble free but I only have 6,800 miles on the odometer.
t
i agree with well said GeoSoul. I was concerned about my 2020S with the recall. I had 20,000 trouble free miles but traded it in for 2022EX. Instead of checking oil consumption as GeoSoul said a big part of my motivation for trading was to get a power seat and sunroof and a white color. I think his advice about not worrying and enjoying the car that you have makes good sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My 2020 Kia S model was on the piston ring recall notice and it checked out ok. A knock sensor was due to be installed. At the time I had 20,000 trouble free miles. I decided on a “fix” for the potential problem.
Followup on my Kia Soul . . .
Not long after we received a remanufactured engine, the Engine Light came on. No engine vibrations, however. The dealer found Scan Code #P0326, "Knock Sensor Failure," and replaced the Knock Sensor that came with our New Reman. Engine.
Any suggestions out there on how to "baby" our new engine? I do plan to change the oil after 1K miles.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Keep driving it. Be sure to include a blend of driving..... city and highway. Stomp on it a couple times twice a week on the freeway. Not a eavy traffic light stomp please.....lol

Issues with the early Knock Sensors was traced and fixed. Just accept the extra visit to the dealer as a tweak to the system's software. Your dash light system for detection purposes should be fine now.

My wife want to keep her Hamster and I may invest in a camera and pull a couple plugs to look for things like scoring.....etc. That's the best way to monitor the dealer's service department service techs - for telling 2.0 vehicle owners a lie that the inside of their engines looks great.

If you invest in a camera and find issues related to this topic, make an appointment and don;t tell the Service Department that you did your own Exam down the hole.
If the Tech tells you your vehicle looks good, ask to speak to a factory representative assigned to that dealership and if that move is no help, call Kia Inc. directly and register an oil rings monitoring recall coverup complaint.

Tell the folks in Korea that your camera does not lie and a serious problem exists and the burning & scoring is not self-healing. Tell them you need the vehicle repaired A.S.A.P..

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Looking to get a 2023 between now and December. I shouldn't have to worry about any oil consumption issues on a newer model?
I wouldn’t worry about it. It was a small percent of Souls manufactured through October 2020 that had the ring issue.

·
Registered
652 Posts
To be even more precise, kia stated on their recall information th NHTSA that it was apparently one percent of the Kia’s Souls manufactured through October 2020. Thar works out to be about 150,000 cars or 1500 kia Souls affected with over-hardened piston rings.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do not believe the 1% mumbo-jumbo. S. Korea has been lying about failure rates, since all the way back to trying to blame 2nd party oil filter manufacturers in 2014 that OEM filters should only be used. They were caught red-handed lying about that, when the real cause was their own soft metallurgy debris getting cought-up in oil pump lines and screens.

We own an early 2020 Kia Soul 2.0 MPI model (build date of around July 2019). It's going to fail due to the rings issue. It's just a matter of time. Hopefully I can get my wife to stop loving her Hamster so much and trade-it-in ASAP..... today!!!

But in order to not harm our long-time marriage, I may be looking at ''her'' Soul in our driveway for many years to come. The problem I have is that in October 2029 (10 year warranty expires), her vehicle may not have over 60k on the odometer.

So I advocate extended warranties for us-2020 owners that fall under the build-time-frame of these crappy piston engines. If it takes my wife 15 years to reach 100k, that crappy engine should still be covered for free engine replacement.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do not believe the 1% mumbo-jumbo. S. Korea has been lying about failure rates, since all the way back to trying to blame 2nd party oil filter manufacturers in 2014 that OEM filters should only be used. They were caught red-handed lying about that, when the real cause was their own soft metallurgy debris getting cought-up in oil pump lines and screens.

We own an early 2020 Kia Soul 2.0 MPI model (build date of around July 2019). It's going to fail due to the rings issue. It's just a matter of time. Hopefully I can get my wife to stop loving her Hamster so much and trade-it-in ASAP..... today!!!

But in order to not harm our long-time marriage, I may be looking at ''her'' Soul in our driveway for many years to come. The problem I have is that in October 2029 (10 year warranty expires), her vehicle may not have over 60k on the odometer.

So I advocate extended warranties for us-2020 owners that fall under the build-time-frame of these crappy piston engines. If it takes my wife 15 years to reach 100k, that crappy engine should still be covered for free engine replacement.
I had a 2020S which passed the so called test. But I didn’t want the dog to be with me when the car incinerated under warranty. The trade in price was good so I bought a new 2022EX.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts