Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when I purchased my Soul last July it came with pinstriping already done by the dealer and I did not want it but it was already there so it did not matter. I then removed it but it left a sticky residue. Also I can see where the installer cut it with a razor..oh yes that is crap and they will fix it but need to get the glue off first. Any ideas for removing the glue? I tried to wash it and its still there. I'll post pics later.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
"Goo Gone" is the best. It is safe for paint. Not sure if they have it in the US but it is the best stuff. It is an oil and you just spread it on and let it work. Then rub it off. I have used it on many things including my neighbours car who had a new windshield put in and did not take the tape off for days. I baked on in the sun and then would not come off. It really works.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
WD-40 works great and will not harm the paint.Wash and rewax and you will be fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
when I purchased my Soul last July it came with pinstriping already done by the dealer and I did not want it but it was already there so it did not matter. I then removed it but it left a sticky residue. Also I can see where the installer cut it with a razor..oh yes that is crap and they will fix it but need to get the glue off first. Any ideas for removing the glue? I tried to wash it and its still there. I'll post pics later.

Thanks
Chris
"Goop" works awesome at removing adhesive residue. It's available at WalMart, Ace, True Value, etc. Probably similar to Goop Gone.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know people who have used WD-40 for getting road tar off rear quarter panels with results. I personally have used varsol for getting heavy pine gum and tree sap off cars before with good results.

What ever you used don't scrub too hard. Then wash and wax the areas.

I forgot to mention, I have heard that rubbing alcohol is ok on today's paint jobs... But I've never used it and I don't know anyone who has. --- Caution ---

·
Registered
306 Posts
You can use many products

Id first try goo gone it's buck at all dollar. If that is not powerful enough move up to goof off. Still no worky step up to laquer thinner. I had some graphics on my frontier that had this grey foamy stuff. I bought and tried everything to remove it after a few days sucess. There are few other products at auto paint store that work. Alcohol is pretty tame on paint jobs i doubt it will remove sticky stuff.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will be trying this weekend thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I've tried both Goo Gone and WD-40 and BOTH work really well. (individually and not at the same time).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Goo Gone is available in the US and does work miracles at getting sticky stuff off of almost any material, but I've never tried it on auto paint. Wash thoroughly after use and you should be fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update Pics

Before

After

Using goo gone worked pretty well just took a little bit of muscle to get off. A little residue is still left on the side just going to do a few washes then try another application if it is not all removed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Id first try goo gone it's buck at all dollar. If that is not powerful enough move up to goof off. Still no worky step up to laquer thinner. I had some graphics on my frontier that had this grey foamy stuff. I bought and tried everything to remove it after a few days sucess. There are few other products at auto paint store that work. Alcohol is pretty tame on paint jobs i doubt it will remove sticky stuff.
Don't take a chance with laquer thinner. Of all the solvents that were used in a body shop, laquer thinner was the strongest. And could do the most damage. Granted it has been a long time since I worked there, and the new finishes may be stronger, but I would never use laquer thinner on any surface I didn't want to damage. Now, we used to use a fast drying enamel reducer to wash down areas that we were ready to repaint.

Just be careful, try a spot out of site before using any solvent on your paint. I also have seen WD-40 used for road tar removal. My vote though would go for Goo Gone. I think it is made from citrus oils.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you want the ultimate product that will vastly outperform GooGone, get 3M residue remover. May be hard to find as it's primarily a pro product but we found it at an auto parts store. It is costly however, $18. to $24. for a 16 oz. can. Will not harm paint.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover works great. It also waxes where it removes the glue. I've used it to remove the glue after I removed emblems on my cars. Also works great for bugs and tar. :cool:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
"ice liquid" worked with glue residue from kia and dealer's decals/stickers that were all over my car and windows...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts