Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Pickup up my new Soul today (in UK)

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  d3matt 
#1 ·
I picked up my new Soul at midday today. It is a Soul 2 1.6 CRDi (diesel) manual. Already done 110 miles this afternoon and I am very pleased with it. My only gripe so far is that the suspension doesn't absorb the bumps very well, but then I knew this.
Soul's are very rare on UK roads and particularly in our area as we have no dealers locally. I've only every seen one Soul on the road before.

I've already had comments about the car from strangers and seen many take a good look at it today. It has been called "very funky" by at least 3 people today.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice ride, man! Is this white or vanilla color?

Well, you better get used to the comments. There will be many of them. :)

Suspension on UK Souls has been tweaked by Lotus to suit the UK road conditions, so it should absorb the bumps quite good...?!?

#3 ·
It is 'clear white'. The vanilla colour is only on the Shaker model which was another £1,000 more. Decided it wasn't worth it.

From what I hear, the early UK cars didn't have the Lotus tweaked suspension and the test cars I drove didn't. However, I instantly noticed a difference with mine today and it was much better than the test drive cars. The tweaked suspension is less choppy but it is still pretty bad on rough roads (and we have a lot of those). I had two adults in the back seats this evening and they complained about it too and the bumps felt much worse with the extra weight in the back.

#10 ·
You still have bumpy ride with 16" wheels and a special tuned suspension? I have 18" wheels with sport suspension. It may be a little rough but all in all I like the ride. Tell the adults in the back to get out and walk or buy their own Bentley if they complain.

#13 ·
A quick review after 2 weeks ownership

Our Soul is two weeks old today and its now done 1,000 miles. I love the car - for it's looks and ease of driving, but I really don't like the suspension and the way bumps come crashing through the car. I did initially think that it was better than the demo cars I drove, but I'm now thinking it probably isn't. I suspect that the one we have doesn't have the Lotus tweaked suspension. I heard that the first 3 months supply of cars wouldn't have this and I guess we have one of those. I'm starting to find the suspension annoying, which is a great shame. I suppose it highlights how rough the roads are around our way, but when you get on a decent road, it is fine. I'm just glad I like the rest of the car enough to compensate.

A few years ago (when my businesses was doing better!) we owned a Range Rover Sport (when they were first launched in the UK) and a Mini Convertible - both were new cars and gained a lot of attention. Especially the Mini (wife's car) as it had some custom pink stripes and pink interior. However, it seems that the Soul is getting even more attention than these and we've had loads of people say "funky car" and a few say "cool car".

After the styling, the most impressive thing about the car is the flexible diesel engine. Its so easy to drive and just loves to be driven on very low revs. You can pull out of roundabouts in third at about 1,500 revs and it pulls away nicely. It's not at all like the Ford Focus TDCi I've hired a couple of times. These stall so easily and need to be revved up to get anything out of them. After driving automatic cars for the last 7 years or so, I wasn't looking forward to driving a manual again, but the Kia is fine. With the light clutch and such a flexible engine, it's quite a joy.

I love the seating position in the Soul and the height of the seat from the floor. Its very similar to Land Rovers and I find this kind of position much more comfortable. It is also very easy to get in and out. The extra roof height is also great for getting our young daughter into her baby seat - no more bending down or banged heads.

I was hoping that the fuel economy would be better, but I guess its got to run it before getting to it's expected 55mpg. It averaged 33mpg on its second tank of fuel and 46mpg on the third. I hope it keeps improving at this rate. It should do. When I hired a Ford Focus, I got an average of 83.3mpg :eek: on a 2 hour drive, so I know how to drive ecomonimcally. On a second hire period, I also got an average of 56mpg from a Focus over a week's driving and 1,000 miles. I'm sort of expecting the same from the Soul.

The Soul stereo is pretty good too and I love the USB port. Having all my music on one memory stick is great. I wish it had bluetooth though (I see the USA guys get this, but this is not available on UK models). Also cruise control would be nice and I do miss climate control, but then it isn't that sort of car.
I do wonder why Kia chose to put conventional wipers on it and not the modern flat blade types.

Our second car is a Saab 9-5 2.3T auto estate, but its hardly been used since we got the Soul. Mainly due to the massive difference in running costs, as the Saab only does 25mpg. I'm so impressed with the Soul, that I'm even considered getting another one in a year or so - if they upgrade the suspension. Or I may get the new facelift Cee'd SW. Gone are the days of badge snobbery for me!

#14 ·
Hi Matt

Good to hear from you. Yes we originally dealt with Alastair, but ended up doing the deal with Richard. You have me worried now about the suspension issue.
Have been told twice that Lotus did something to the suspension and it looks as though our car will also fall into the first 3 months bracket supply. Richard used 'Lotus tweaking the ride' as a sales pitch, if I remember correctly, and as an extra precaution I have ordered our new car with the wheels from the Soul 2 which are 16" rather than the larger ones. I did this because there is more rubber on the rim, thinking that that would soften the ride even more.
Will have to wait and see!

#17 ·
Richard used 'Lotus tweaking the ride' as a sales pitch, if I remember correctly, and as an extra precaution I have ordered our new car with the wheels from the Soul 2 which are 16" rather than the larger ones. I did this because there is more rubber on the rim, thinking that that would soften the ride even more.
Yes, same here. I would have loved 18" wheels, but I found the ride hard enough with the 16" wheels, so I didn't even try driving one with 18".

#15 ·
From what I've read, Lotus have modified the dampers and bump stops as the standard Soul suspension can bottom out on rough UK roads. I would guess this is what happens to mine.

It may be possible to fit the modified parts later. I suppose if we complain to the dealer about the ride quality, they may be able to fit the modified components under the warranty.

#18 ·
Great review. I agree on the suspension and bad roads - luckily we don't have to many over here.
I am very, very jealous of your diesel engine. I have no idea why we didn't get it here, but I suppose it's something silly like different emission standards and the cost involved in getting the diesel homologated this side of the ocean. Or perhaps it's the oil lobby trying to delay the inevitable...
Either way, it's a shame that this motor did not make it over here.
Kris

#19 ·
But then you get a 2.0ltr petrol. We just have the 1.6 petrol & 1.6 diesel.

BTW, the 1.6 petrol CO2 emissions is 153 g/Km, yet the 1.6 diesel is only 137 g/Km.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.