Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW-TO Install

Philips LED Daylight 8 Daytime Running Lights (DRL) - Soul 2012
Process would work for Philips Daylight 4 also...

I just installed these on my 2012 Kia Soul and posted a video on YouTube of the entire process...
I have never done anything like this before to any vehicle but it was relatively easy...
It took about 3.5 hours mainly because I was trying to film everything...

Here is the link for the video...

Philips Daylight 8 - 2012 Kia Soul - Philips LED Daylight 8 Daytime Running Lights (DRL) - YouTube

Also here are some pictures of the kit and the final install...

I hope everyone finds this useful...

·
Registered
23 Posts
that is pretty sweet, now do you have fog lights? I am not sure how the DLR's would look with them running and fog lights at the same time?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
it doesn't look like he has fogs in the video. If he did it should function the same way as he shows in the video when he switches on his headlights for low beam.

Here in Canada our DLR's do not function when the headlights are on. We have fogs on all our models, but they only function with the low beam and also DLR's go out when you pull on the handbrake if the vehicle is still running.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice!

I was going to just put some fog lights on an SSD Light bar (tied to my low and running beams, but not the highs), but maybe I'll just have the fogs on the low beams and these DRLs on when the Lows aren't.

Is there a setting to have them go OFF (instead of just dimmed) when the low beams are on? I think having the lows + DRLs (even on low) + Fogs might be more lights than I'm supposed to run.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This looks amazing!

I want to do the same thing on my 2011 Soul and had a couple of question that I am hoping you could answer now that you have this installed.

1. Do the LED lights turn on when the car is in the ACC or On position with out the engine running.
2. Do you know if this is possible on a 2011 model?
3. On you YouTube video you said that is wont turn on unless it detects that there is more than 14 W or volts running. I'm not a total whizz with this car. But doesn't the radio draw more than 14 volts so the lights would turn on if the radio was on?
4. Lastly... How much does the led system draw from the battery if it is on and will it drain the battery quickly? :confused:

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/28-aftermarket-modifications/14546-want-add-drl-2011-soul.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice!

I was going to just put some fog lights on an SSD Light bar (tied to my low and running beams, but not the highs), but maybe I'll just have the fogs on the low beams and these DRLs on when the Lows aren't.

Is there a setting to have them go OFF (instead of just dimmed) when the low beams are on? I think having the lows + DRLs (even on low) + Fogs might be more lights than I'm supposed to run.
As far as I know there is no OFF setting when the low beams are on... I am sure you could install a switch or something to kill the whole thing... that is beyond my expertise...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Answers to your questions...

This looks amazing!

I want to do the same thing on my 2011 Soul and had a couple of question that I am hoping you could answer now that you have this installed.

1. Do the LED lights turn on when the car is in the ACC or On position with out the engine running.
NO. By design they don't...

2. Do you know if this is possible on a 2011 model?
Should work fine...

3. On you YouTube video you said that is wont turn on unless it detects that there is more than 14 W or volts running. I'm not a total whizz with this car. But doesn't the radio draw more than 14 volts so the lights would turn on if the radio was on?
I am not an electrician but all I know is the control box detects electrical current and knows whether the lights should be on or not or dim or bright... it just works so I don't question it...

4. Lastly... How much does the led system draw from the battery if it is on and will it drain the battery quickly? :confused:
There is no drain whatsoever when the car is off... and LED lights take less power to run than conventional bulbs... when the car is on a doubt there is any major draw on the battery at all...

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/28-aftermarket-modifications/14546-want-add-drl-2011-soul.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I also installed some Aftermarket DRLs I found on Amazon.com in the same location as yours.
Problem is that my Headlights now look very yellow in color contrasted against the DRLs when on a night.

That is cool too... do they automatically dim when you turn on your headlights? What brand/kind are they? I was thinking about some of the less expensive kits but they were just the lights and had to by a separate control box to make them turn on and off right or add a switch... to advanced for me... the Philips were a breeze to install... as for the different colors that is just how it is... makes you stand out... I see cars with LED's, HID's and regular lights so you see some white, some blue, and some dull yellow...

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is cool too... do they automatically dim when you turn on your headlights? What brand/kind are they? I was thinking about some of the less expensive kits but they were just the lights and had to by a separate control box to make them turn on and off right or add a switch... to advanced for me... the Philips were a breeze to install... as for the different colors that is just how it is... makes you stand out... I see cars with LED's, HID's and regular lights so you see some white, some blue, and some dull yellow...
Yes they do dim. My set came with a separate control box like the Phillips and connects directly to the battery making installation a breeze too.
I was looking at the Phillips set but it was way too much.
So, that is why I looked up some other cheaper options on Amazon & Ebay.
Brand was generic packaging that came in a Blue & White box. So, I don't know the exact brand.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Voltage is a measure of impedance. When the battery is not being charged such as when the car is off, the battery at full charge will have 12.6 volts (6cells x 2.1volts). When you start your car and the alternator is functioning, the electrical system in the car will be just over 14 volts.

The control box in this system knows that your car is running by the fact that the voltage is over 14volts.

This is from a review on Amazon:
The lights function by sensing change in battery load and automatically turn on. When the module senses the battery is in a steady state the lights turn off after ~10 seconds. This works well enough, but has some quirks. My car has delayed-off dome lights. So when I open the door and trigger the dome lights, the module senses the current and the DRLs turn on (no key in ignition). Not quite 10 seconds later the DRLs turn off (meanwhile my dome lights are still on). Then when my dome lights turn off, the module senses another change and turns the DRLs on again for 10 seconds. So while this could seem like a fancy convenience function of the DRLs, it is the consequence of the simplified hookup design. I do not find this objectionable except when the battery is connected to a charger that is cycling on and off and the lights are turning on/off as well. Personally I would have preferred wiring them to the ignition or the option to. As is when I approach the car and unlock the doors with my remote, the DRLs come on and help locate the car as well as illuminate the walk toward it - not a bad thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts