Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally when I charge my 2020 soul EV I will see a blue light blinking on the top front of the dash. However, I saw it blinking in the same way when the vehicle was just parked and off (no charging). What does this mean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to the user manual it indicates "Charging 12 V auxiliary battery or reserved air conditioner is operating", as it was the third section that was blinking. But the UVO app shows there are no reservations for charging or air conditioner. So apparently it was charging the 12 V battery. I've never seen it do this before, and as it had been parked unused for a day, there's no reason the 12 V battery would have been drained down.

Still wondering what the reason is behind this...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My best reason, hoping someone who knows will pop up, is that it was a cold night, and the 12 battery was working hard to keep basic systems (UVO, monitoring) going. So the main battery is used to charge the 12 v battery at times when it needs a boost, resulting in the blinking.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There is a low voltage charger on your car in place of an alternator it uses the main high voltage battery to recharge the 12v battery, kind of like your phone or laptop charger that plugs into the wall and uses the high electricity and reduces it to low dc current. On most of the hybrid Niro models they had a small lithium battery for the 12v aux battery, the system monitored that battery and once it got down to 10% it would actually trip a breaker and shut it down as the battery was placed under the seat with the HV battery, they had a switch on the dash to reset the 12v and the 10% was enough for the car to ready on and start recharging that battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Normally when I charge my 2020 soul EV I will see a blue light blinking on the top front of the dash. However, I saw it blinking in the same way when the vehicle was just parked and off (no charging). What does this mean?
I wish I could have your problems. I can't buy a Soul EV in the states.

• Wow
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I wish I could have your problems. I can't buy a Soul EV in the states.
They were only available 2020 as far as I can tell and only sold in select markets. It is pretty identical to the EV Niro powertrain wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts