Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul Base manual 6 speed
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not looking to torch the "Ring...been there, done that already... ('68 Opel Rekord
w/ supercharged Buick/Olds 215 ci V-8, 5 speed manual.) LOL What I want is a plug-n-play mod that will add maybe 15-20hp so I can climb a 4-5% grade outside town without downshifting into 5th...I've got a 2016 Soul 1.6 with 6 speed manual. Used, so no worries on warranty. Oh, and is there a center console armrest available? The hill is my only complaint...other than that, I ;like my new wheels...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, not looking to torch the "Ring...been there, done that already... ('68 Opel Rekord
w/ supercharged Buick/Olds 215 ci V-8, 5 speed manual.) LOL What I want is a plug-n-play mod that will add maybe 15-20hp so I can climb a 4-5% grade outside town without downshifting into 5th...I've got a 2016 Soul 1.6 with 6 speed manual. Used, so no worries on warranty. Oh, and is there a center console armrest available? The hill is my only complaint...other than that, I ;like my new wheels...
So...after reading several posts on the subject...I'll just have to be content with dropping a gear on that hill...no such thing as tuning a Kia Soul...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't help with the tune, but can help with the center console. See this thread for my aftermarket from AliExpress
Will look into those...thx much! I see from your earlier posts that you have added cruise control...I thought about that, and figgered that holding speed with the manual is easy-peasy...not like many other cars/trucks I've driven... As for performance, I think my best bet is a K+N filter...should get me maybe 5% more...should do the trick...and one other thing I noticed...with sport mode, she seemed to climb that hill a bit better...didn't have to downshift...Wonder if those different modes affect engine performance on the manuals... Hill starts just out of town and a 45 mph limit...so stepping on it in 5th, get to 60+, up to 6th and it holds..and even accelerates a bit...
Question...what is "MT"?

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
206 Posts
...with sport mode, she seemed to climb that hill a bit better...didn't have to downshift...Wonder if those different modes affect engine performance on the manuals...
I believe The Drive Mode Integrated Control System only works with an automatic tranmission equipped Kia Soul.

With the manual transmission Kia Soul, Sport Mode (along with Normal and Comfort) only applies to steering effort - Flex Steer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
So a couple of things worth mentioning. 1. Do not drive up hills in 6th even if it will go up it if you have to floor it. That's bad for your engine, clutch and transmission. The engine being lugged up a hill is really creating tremendous cylinder pressures putting a lot of strain on the piston rings and connecting rods, it is better to drop a gear and let it spin getting more air and fuel in there as well as turning the water pump faster etc.... 2. That is a lot of strain on your clutch. If you ever had a car with a clutch that is weak you would notice that it would slip on a hill in top gear but if you dropped a gear it would still make it up the hill without slipping. Kind of picture your mountain bike, you can go up a hill in top gear but it's a lot less strain on your legs, chain, pedals etc to just drop a couple of gears and turn your legs a bit faster
3. K and N filter will add zero horsepower to your car and is a pain to clean and oil regularly, doesn't trap as much dirt as a regular paper filter and the oil that comes off the filter will dirty up your throttle body, intake etc.. causing a horsepower drop in not much time at all.
Best thing you can do is maintain your car in tip top shape. Run a fuel induction clean to clean up the carbon and it will wake the car right up.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
For what appears to be perhaps a 4 HP 4 TQ increase, a K&N intake will get you that according to their site. I'm going off data for the 2.0 and reducing by 20% since the only 1.6 they show data for is the turbo.
Just downshift. That's why God gave us manual transmissions.

·
Registered
502 Posts
What bwdz75 said. ↑ In triplicate.

These engines are noisy. If you are merging on to a freeway or running up a hill, do not be afraid to punch the stuffings* out of them. And yeah, if manual, downshift.

* stuffings..... use your imagination.

·
Registered
750 Posts
For what appears to be perhaps a 4 HP 4 TQ increase, a K&N intake will get you that according to their site. I'm going off data for the 2.0 and reducing by 20% since the only 1.6 they show data for is the turbo.
Just downshift. That's why God gave us manual transmissions.
I'm not arguing their data but I worked at a shop that made aftermarket performance parts for 5.0 Mustangs back in the 90s and ran a flow bench there doing mass air calibrations etc.. for different injectors, flowing heads, intakes and so on. We could only use k and n filters without oil as so much runs through them it would coat our equipment and damage our sensors. If you look at actual dyno tests on those filters the hp you pick up is not peak hp, its usually a couple hp just before the rev limiter at some unusable rpm long after the hp and torque curves fell off so what I call false advertising. So yes maybe instead of 86hp at that unusable rpm you might be able to see 90 by some miracle. The 1.6 air box is the same as the 2.0 and it does not restrict it in any way. Not sure how many cfm these little engines flow but it is not enough for it to be starving for air and needing more by unrestrcting the air filter.
This is my own opinion and just an opinion
based on real testing experience of dozens of filters, cold air intake set ups etc... etc.. on a real flow bench and dyno in a shop. Caveat is this is from 20 years ago but filters and CFM for a certain size engine at a given RPM haven't changed.

·
Registered
2016 Soul - 215/65R16 Falken AT Trails - Drifz matte black wheels - Roof mounted train horns - etc
9 Posts
I have an issue with aerodynamics on my 2016 1.6 na Soul. With the roof rack and train horns on that, hwy driving dropped my mpg by almost 10mpg. Averaging only 16 to 18mpg, I figured a few performance mods would help. All I did was delete the huge muffler/resonator (the large triangular one midline in the exhaust) and put a k&n typhoon intake system on and my mpg is now up around 23 to 24mpg combined from the above numbers and on my long trip into Cali to Shasta Caverns I averaged 28 there and 30 back.

Its still as slow as a turtle in mud but I got my mileage back up to decent at least. Just my experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's not fast enough up the hill, mash the pedal to the carpet.
Next time try to approach with more momentum. (y)

Or, add nitrous oxide and report back. :D
Wait, did you say something about cost?
🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL...some funny replies here!!! Thx all...have a whole 16000 miles on the Soul...so carbon buildup may not be an issue...usually drive 5-700 hp 1500-1950 ftlbs torque diesels...so I guess I'll have to give the little hamster a break, and downshift...I'm used to lugging and seeing peak torque/power around 12-1500 rpms...going to have to get used to the screamer...pretend it's an old Detroit Diesel O/O Twin Turbo 92 440+ hp 2 stroke... On that note...who would I have to kill to get a diesel Soul? Or transplant a diesel into one...maybe find one with blown engine..and swap blown gas rig for a diesel...

·
Registered
2016 Soul - 215/65R16 Falken AT Trails - Drifz matte black wheels - Roof mounted train horns - etc
9 Posts
LOL...some funny replies here!!! Thx all...have a whole 16000 miles on the Soul...so carbon buildup may not be an issue...usually drive 5-700 hp 1500-1950 ftlbs torque diesels...so I guess I'll have to give the little hamster a break, and downshift...I'm used to lugging and seeing peak torque/power around 12-1500 rpms...going to have to get used to the screamer...pretend it's an old Detroit Diesel O/O Twin Turbo 92 440+ hp 2 stroke... On that note...who would I have to kill to get a diesel Soul? Or transplant a diesel into one...maybe find one with blown engine..and swap blown gas rig for a diesel...
I would make a wager that a vw tdi could be fit.. or keep it "KDM" by using the Hyundai diesels from overseas. In Dubai and Philippines I saw a few floating around. Peppy around town but in Dubai they were a bit slow on the highways. Granted the speed limit was 140kph (around 80mph I reckon?) And of course you have to stay out of the way of the lambos and G wagons doing 200+ kph between the speed cameras. Hell the Hyundai Diesels may be an easy swap really.

(I say shoot for the turbocharged 2.2 from the SantaFe... in a Soul and would make it boogie. In fact... ur spinning my own wheels here)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hahaha, I drove those but it's been a long time for me. Last truck had the old series 60 turned up to 630hp with Pittsburgh power parts. 3.08 rears with a 13 double over so it cruised triple digits. 75mph was like 1350 rpm and everyone told me I couldn't pull heavy with those gears but I often grossed 130k with a rock crushed on the back or my lowboys and had no issues. I did my own inframes and used genuine parts mostly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would make a wager that a vw tdi could be fit.. or keep it "KDM" by using the Hyundai diesels from overseas. In Dubai and Philippines I saw a few floating around. Peppy around town but in Dubai they were a bit slow on the highways. Granted the speed limit was 140kph (around 80mph I reckon?) And of course you have to stay out of the way of the lambos and G wagons doing 200+ kph between the speed cameras. Hell the Hyundai Diesels may be an easy swap really.

(I say shoot for the turbocharged 2.2 from the SantaFe... in a Soul and would make it boogie. In fact... ur spinning my own wheels here)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hahaha, I drove those but it's been a long time for me. Last truck had the old series 60 turned up to 630hp with Pittsburgh power parts. 3.08 rears with a 13 double over so it cruised triple digits. 75mph was like 1350 rpm and everyone told me I couldn't pull heavy with those gears but I often grossed 130k with a rock crushed on the back or my lowboys and had no issues. I did my own inframes and used genuine parts mostly.
Ja, those Pittsburg Power folks have it dialed in...loved those Cummins Big Cam III engines putting out 1000+ HP...

·
Registered
750 Posts
The specs on that diesel say 192lb ft of torque, pretty nice. You'll just have to source the fuel tank and pump, lines, intake and exhaust, turbo, intercooler, radiator, accessory brackets, ecm, probably a transmission as it is likely to have different gear ratios etc.. and you will need to look for a wrecking yard outside of the US where they were offered with a diesel and hopefully you don't live in a state where this is a no no for emissions or inspection. Would be cool if it were a complete front cut off a car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts