Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

Has anyone stuck any tuning mods into their Soul! turbo? If so, what, and how did it work?

I found these mods that fit into your OBD port, but the price seems almost too good to be true.

KIA SOUL PERFORMANCE CHIP - SOUL HORSEPOWER ECU

Anyone ever tried one of these??

I’m thinking of buying one just to see what happens because the price is so affordable.

Anyway, if I do, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Best,

Sean

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Conventional wisdom says you'd be better off putting that money into potato chips.

I've honestly never heard of anyone credible recommending them.

Some info below in the box marked Similar Threads.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Some food for thought Sean. I was hoping you'd stick with the potato chips.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d already given the notion a good deal of thought before I decided to purchase a chip, and, after perusing your articles (and a few more of my own), I’ve decided to stick with the chip - for now. Because the chip isn’t a resistor scam, nor just a bunch of blinking lights, both of which were verified by the independent chip testing site I mentioned earlier, I’m going to take them at their word that their program actually communicates with the onboard ecu. I’m still iffy regarding whether it actually “learns” my driving preferences and programs itself accordingly. One of the things I like about this chip is that everything works through the OBD2 port, so taking off the tune is as simple as removing the chip from the port. Moreover, I didn’t need to splice into any parts of my car to make this chip work, and work it does. Finally, the biggest impact I’ve noticed is that my fairly heavy foot has negatively affected my gas mileage around town. I’m not sure exactly by how much, but I believe I’m down significantly from the stated EPA city mileage. I would have been down quite a bit anyway; I’ve never in all my 36 years of driving had a car meet or exceed the EPA’s city standard. On the freeway / highway, my mileage is on par with EPA mileage, even driving around 80mph. Now, I’ve never owned a turbo before, but it’s my understanding that if you have a heavy foot, your mileage will suffer because your turbo will be sucking down much more fuel than under normal driving conditions. In short, I believe this to be a relatively modest tune, with a little more pick-up off the line, but not much more than that. Since I service my vehicles regularly and use quality oils (synthetic or synthetic blends) and other products, I’m not too concerned about damaging the engine. Consequently, I’m going to be a well-tuned hamster, at least for the immediate future!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have some experience with 'chips' and 'tunes' for cars. It may be semantics, but the cheap 'chips' that you can buy for your car, in my experience, either don't work or work so little they are barely noticable. However, get a 'tune', and it is a different story. Tunes also seem to work much better for turbo engines than non-turbos...because part of the tune is to boost the turbo PSI...an easy to to get more power.

A long, LONG time ago I tried one of the plug-and-play chips for a Chevy S10 pickup. Did it work? well the vehicle didn't break down, but I felt no change at all.
Contrast that to getting a 'tune' for our old Chevy Sonic hatchback turbo a couple years ago...and I didn't have to try to convince myself it worked. It was a HUGE difference.

I have browsed the internet to see if I could find a legitimate tuning option for the Soul turbo...I have only found 2 companies so far that i kinda believe in..but haven't tried it out yet for the Soul.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Would you possibly be interested in buying some view property I have in Florida :)

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
It's not so much a swamp as an alligator lap pool. Just beyond is a view of the Performance Chip factory :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there,

Has anyone stuck any tuning mods into their Soul! turbo? If so, what, and how did it work?

I found these mods that fit into your OBD port, but the price seems almost too good to be true.

KIA SOUL PERFORMANCE CHIP - SOUL HORSEPOWER ECU

Anyone ever tried one of these??

I’m thinking of buying one just to see what happens because the price is so affordable.

Anyway, if I do, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Best,

Sean
I put a Performance Chip in my 2015 Kia Optima.
It greatly reduced transmission lag between shifts by modifying the speed between shifts.
It maximized the timing and fuel to air mixture.
This car is a beast compared to stock.
I have timed 0-60 at 6.2 seconds. It pulls so strong in 3rd gear that I actually smile.
I have no reason to lie to you and not employed by any performance chip company.
My car is quicker than a 1.6 turbo optima.
Gas milage 24mpg average and I ride it hard.
Not sure if there is a Chip for turbo models.
I have ran this Chip for 8 months and could not be happier. Actually I was surprised that it actually did as promised.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts