Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I soon will be installing a back-up parking sensor in my Soul.
The rear visibility is limited and I keep guessing how much room there is left AND whether or not anything or anyone is hiding behind that chunky pillar at any given moment...

So, while thinking about it one thing is unclear to me - where to install the LED/numeric display that shows the remaining distance .
I usually see them mounted on the dash - seemingly a logical place for it, but here's what I'm thinking - when I back up, I look backwards... I wouldn't see the display then (I could still hear it, as it beeps though... but not see it)

Some people claim that the display should be in or near the rear-view mirror, but I dodn't use the mirror when backing up - do you?

So I've been thinking of mounting the display in the back high up somewhere near the third brake light.
This way it will be visible when looking backwards and in the mirror. Plus it will make the install so much easier, as everything will be contained around the rear door.
What do you think? Yay or Nay?:confused:
Kris

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yay. Great idea!

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's worth a try and to be quite honest it kinda makes sense. I think if you mounted it near the rear view you would eventually get used to it being there and use that all the time instead of looking back. I haven't had one of these systems yet so I can't say whether you get used to it's placement or not :confused:.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The idea of most of these cameras is to use the mirrors up front, plus the camera, to get a false "180 degree" rear view of the space. However, what it doesn't often take into account is traffic out of range of the camera, or other little subtle but potentially quick changes. I'm not sure if I could ever totally trust a camera mounted forward-facing.

I do like this idea of a rear-facing camera, however it may be too hard to see that far back. Have you evaluated the distance between driver's position and rear window, taking into account the size of the screen and viewable area?

I'd check the specs on the view screen, mock up a piece of paper, and try it out before you back on it... Might even print a picture about the size of the screen, and see how much of the detail you can see from that distance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The idea of most of these cameras is to use the mirrors up front, plus the camera, to get a false "180 degree" rear view of the space. However, what it doesn't often take into account is traffic out of range of the camera, or other little subtle but potentially quick changes. I'm not sure if I could ever totally trust a camera mounted forward-facing.

I do like this idea of a rear-facing camera, however it may be too hard to see that far back. Have you evaluated the distance between driver's position and rear window, taking into account the size of the screen and viewable area?

I'd check the specs on the view screen, mock up a piece of paper, and try it out before you back on it... Might even print a picture about the size of the screen, and see how much of the detail you can see from that distance.
This is not a camera. I'ts a 4-sensor ultrasonic system with an LED display showing a numerical value of distance remaining and a green/yellow/red bar for proximity increase, as well as an audible beeping sound that changes in frequency as you get closer. These are generally very accurate and obvious to read (unlike the cameras). I would not trust the camera at all. A friend of mine has the same thing in his truck and it's brilliant.

Thank you all for advice,
I think I will be putting the display in the back - the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.
I will takes notes and perhaps even pictures during the install and post the results.
Kris

·
Registered
337 Posts
The cameras actually work really well, they're just limited in scope.

I've seen the LED displays that you're talking about - they work GREAT mounted at the rear of the vehicle. I've been in a Cadillac SRX that was mounted like you are talking about, just behind the center-rear brake light, and they were a beautiful addition. Loved 'em. I say go for it if they're just lights :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is a great idea. Where would you get something like that and how much does it cost? I almost backed in to a telephone pole yesterday! It was out of my line of sight on the passengers side. Very scary.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Larbuix,
The system I got was virtually identical, except that it was wired. 4 sensors connect to the main unit via wire and so is the display. And of course power.
I would be weary of the wireless units, simply because I'm not sure how reliable the transceiver portion of it is ( ie: how susceptible to interference, etc). I think wired units are much more reliable.

I actually mounted everything today and kept the display in the back, so routing the wire from the main box to the display wasn't a big deal.
I'm working on DIY post for this, for now let me just say that it was much easier than I expected.

FYI, all those four sensor units sold on ebay are virtually the same. I got mine for $25USD with free shipping. It works flawlessly and it contains the new 22mm sensors with improved sensitivity. The blind spot behind the back pillar is totally gone, the backup sensors detect not only obvious obstacles such as cars, but also those "invisible" ones - garbage cans, street lights/signs, bicycles, shopping carts etc. I tested my setup for all these scenarios (I didn't try any children or live animals ;) ) and I have to say that this was the best twenty five bucks I have spent in a long while. (FYI - a local shop here in Vancouver sells an identical system for $100 retail + $150 for install)
I will post my detailed installation experiences and handy tips shortly.
Kris

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've put a bit of a writeup on the install I did today. Hopefully someone will find it helpful.
Read it here.
Kris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts